*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/738634
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #758789
Do you write for publication? What markets? Use market guides? Which ones?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 4, 2003 at 6:57pm
Re: Re: Thieves and scoundrels
 (This message was edited by wordwarrior on 10-04-03 @ 7:09 pm EDT)

That was an expensive lesson. Did you try to sue them in small claims court?

No reputable agency of any kind asks for money in return for editing. If they think your work is saleable (which means they get a legitimate commission ONLY WHEN THEY'VE SOLD THE WORK) they'll work on it with you, if it needs that much. Usually, it's the editor who buys it who suggests edits.

The only kind of editing which should ever be paid for is copyediting (which I happen to do, I'm selling my skills), and only after checking out references, carefully checking!

I don't even edit creative stuff (ie: fiction) because that's so personal, it has to stay in the writers' voice, not mine. I will do this for friends/other writers on a personal basis, no charge, of course.

I did try to ghostwrite a non-fiction thing once. I should have checked references on the author. He turned out to be a loon, and disliked everything I did. I was re-writing about 2,000 stream-of-consciousness, single spaced pages into a documentary-style recounting of some of his professional experiences. He adored every word of his deathless prose, and wouldn't let anything be cut, or re-arranged so it made sense. He also phoned me at least 4 times every dang day, asking if "WE" were done yet! I kept his deposit (50% of the fee) for work completed, boxed up the whole mess, returned it to him and fired him.

Chriswriter
Writing.Com Signature Image for Upgraded Registered Authors!
MESSAGE THREAD
Thieves and scoundrels · 10-03-03 4:04pm
by Chriswriter
Re: Thieves and scoundrels · 10-04-03 6:55am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Thieves and scoundrels · 10-04-03 6:57pm
by Chriswriter
Re: Re: Re: Thieves and scoundrels · 10-05-03 12:51pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thieves and scoundrels · 10-06-03 12:22am
by Chriswriter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thieves and scoundrels · 01-05-04 4:03pm
by Allie Webster

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Chriswriter.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/738634