*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/864501
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #848120
Add your letters to the editor, any response received, and comments...
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 13, 2004 at 9:32am
Re: A different response
Actually, I think that was a great review (and no, I didn't write it - I'd have signed my name). There's nothing wrong with seeing things from a different perspective.

And Anonymous makes very valid points, except for two things:

1. WritersDigest didn't call their list "101 Best Websites for Professional Writers."

2. If you visit the sites on the list, you'll see that many of them don't live up to such lofty standards as Anonymous would've used in choosing the "101 Best."

This list is more like the "People's Choice," with a little editorial oversight.

There's nothing wrong with boycotting the magazine, but Anonymous does make a good point - each letter-writer can speak only for himself or herself. You could say, "I'm cancelling my subscription and will urge others to do so" but to imply some vague groundswell of support for your boycott is a "threat" that won't be taken seriously unless it proves true in the long run.

Of course, WritersDigest still offers good advice and articles from time to time. And if you've gotten value from your subscription in the past, I see no real point in boycotting the publication over one glaring boo-boo. Let them know you're unhappy about it. Let them know what you, the consumer, expect of their product.

I'd argue that WritersDigest isn't really geared towards the professional writer at all, so Anonymous is being overly charitable in assuming their list of Websites is or should be. I don't think "professional" is their real, target audience.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
*Idea* *Idea* *Idea*
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#769015 by Not Available.

Need help with your writing? Visit
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#746496 by Not Available.

Merit Badge in Reviewing
[Click For More Info]

Ranked # 55   Public Reviewer  for the month of  November 2004 . For more details, please see  [Link To Item #614925] . Merit Badge in Supportive
[Click For More Info]

Merit Badge in Animal
[Click For More Info]

Thank you for speaking up for those who cannot:  [Link To Item #948513] ! Merit Badge in Growth
[Click For More Info]

For finding 100 great things about yourself! I'm sure there are so many more and one day I may get you to list them. *^*Wink*^* Thanks for taking the challenge! *^*Smile*^* Merit Badge in Teamwork
[Click For More Info]

A sincere thank you for your suggested words that we chose to use for one of our flyers in  [Link To Item #1946224] . Your teamwork is appreciated! *^*Heart*^*, SMs
MESSAGE THREAD
A different response · 05-13-04 8:25am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: A different response · 05-13-04 9:32am
by Holly Jahangiri

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The Critic.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/864501