*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Rarely, a ring
  2. Finding the genie
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1955115-Genie-in-a/cid/2274490-Rarely-a-ring
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1955115
You find an item holding a genie
This choice: Rarely, a ring  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Rarely, a ring

    by: eyestar~*
Tam walked to the strange shop on the corner of the street. It was new and he had walked by it every day for a week, peeking in the window. Fascinating items were displayed and they all look antique. He could not see too far from the window as there were shelves of books in the way. He felt a pull every day to go inside and today he decided he would. He turned the ornate door knob and opened the door.

The air was full of a spicy scent, like the incense his mom used sometimes. He looked at the books on the shelves all neatly placed, with old leather bindings. He walked in further and noticed a glass counter filled with shiny jewellery, gemstones and lamps. In a bin on top of the counter there were a bunch of rings of bronze, hematite, and one with a purple bauble on it. It seemed to gleam at him. He was about to pick it up when he heard a voice,

"Well, hello young man! Welcome to my shop. What can I help you with?" his eyes glittered as he glanced at the ring in the dish. "Ah I see you are admiring this pretty thing. Go ahead . Touch it, try it on!"
Tam was not sure why, but he did not trust the old man. Still, the ring seemed to shine at him and he didn't think it would hurt anything to touch it.

"er.. well, I am just looking. I saw the shop was new and I was curious. I have never seen anything like this place."
he said, looking at the man again. He was really old and seemed anxious for him to take the ring.

"There is no place like it. I have been here for a long time and..

"But I have never seen it...only last week.." he wondered.

"ah but then you must be special. Why else would you be able to see it? Why would the shop let you see it?"

"What do you mean?" Tam was confused.

"Magic, boy!! Did you not feel it? Not everyone can." the man sighed.

"Wow. You mean magic is real? I always thought it was . but ... " he looked down at the floor.

"Yes, I know. It is not easy being different. Yet in time, you step up and it appears it is your time."

"My time to what?" he asked.

"Take my place." the old man explained. At Tam;s gasp, he explained. "oh it is not like that, not all at once.
You will see. All you need to do is put on the ring that is calling to you."

Magic Tam thought. could it be? He and his mom could really use that right now. What could it hurt?
He watched the old man sort the rings and then "flash" he saw it, the one...

"Ok," he said, "here goes." He took the purple ring and placed it on his finger. It was cool to the touch and he felt a tremor.

"Just rub the ring. " the old main said. "It is really gold, though none would know it to see it!"

Tam took a breath and ran his thumb over the ring. It began to glow and a light mist arose from it.
Soon, a purple robed fey looking creature appeared. "Hello, Master Tam. I am Tiki, the genie of the ring. I am at your command. We have much to do together." She bowed and smiled.

She winked at the old man, who was fading with the very shop they were standing in.
"farewell, " he whispered. "Thank you." and with a sigh was gone.

Tam gazed in awe as he stood on the sidewalk beside a coffeeshop, that had been on that corner for ever.
Tikki had shrunk to the size of a fairy and sat in his pocket. "so Tam... what would you wish for?"

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. Wish

2. Tam and Tikki talk first

*Noteb*
3. Tam heads home so people won't see him

*Noteb*
4. Wish to understand

*Noteb*
5. Tikki explains about the old man

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 eyestar~* (UN: 1starsong at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Stardust has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1955115-Genie-in-a/cid/2274490-Rarely-a-ring