*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. The Beginning
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2040471-The-Aliens-Feather/cid/1972929-The-Beginning
Rated: GC · Interactive · Erotica · #2040471
Tickling in space!
Chapter #1

The Beginning

    by: Carnivore
Space. The final frontier. Humanity had finally started expanding beyond the confines of Earth. With the home world peacefully unified under the United Nations of Earth, scientific missions slowly turned into permanent colonies in the solar system. Now, in addition to the UNE, the Republic of Mars, Ceres Consortium, and Confederacy of Jovian Moons all work to expanding our reach to the stars. But interstellar travel seemed hopelessly beyond our grasp, our fastest ships confined to a fraction of light speed. At least until they came.

They called themselves the Erimosi. They were humanoid, and to our eyes looked like tall, statuesque men and women with jet black skin and snow white hair. Otherwise they could pass for a human. We were lucky that the first advanced alien race we met was also so peaceful and benevolent.

They were happy to share the secrets of warp drive with us, and to start telling us about the galaxy. In exchange, they only wanted to learn as much as they could about humanity, something that interested them endlessly. For instance, they were amused to learn about our male dominated past, and our 50/50 gender ratios. Apparently this was an oddity, and most sentient races were 90/10 female to male, something the Erimosi considered ideal for perpetuating the species. They also speculated that so many males was a cause for our violent and warlike past.

It was clear that the Erimosi weren't telling us everything. They admitted as much. We were told that many of the humanoid galactic races had 'strange customs,' to which humanity would be particularly 'vulnerable.' They wouldn't say more about this, simply saying we would have to understand this first hand. The Erimosi told us they had decided, with much restraint, that they would not engage in these 'customs' with us. At least not until they thought we were ready.

But with their help, humanity started building scoutships and training scouts to begin exploring the galaxy on our own. They were to be small one-man craft, built to travel long distances quickly. There were to be no weapons, unless you counted overloading the communication laser as a 'weapon.' The ship would be provided with some information from the Erimosi, as well as an artificial intelligence to operate as the ship's computer.

This is where you come in. You've graduated at the top of the first class of scouts. You've trained in simulations on how to operate the ship, as well as first contact protocols. The first scoutship prototype as just rolled off the assembly line: The SP-001 Swift Feather. The second won't be completed for months, giving you first pick as to where to explore.

---

You put on your new space suit and head to the hanger. The suit covers you completely from your neck down to your fingers and toes. It's a surprisingly thin, skin-tight fabric provided by the Erimosi. It's able to protect your body against extreme heat and cold, radiation, and hostile atmospheres; all while preserving mobility and the sense of touch. It's an amazing material, years ahead of anything that can be made on Earth. A small device has been inserted in your ears to act as a universal translator, as well as act as a short-range communication device with your shipboard AI.

"Hello, Pilot!" A young, feminine voice exclaims in your ear. "I'm the artificial intelligence for the Swift Feather! Ar-in version 12.7.2 to be exact, but you can just call me 'Erin.' It's a lot more personal that way." You didn't expect the new AI to be so… bubbly. Yet another invention that's light years ahead of humanity. No human computer program is remotely capable of emoting anywhere near the level you just heard. You just hope the AI is also an equally competent navigator.

"Hello… Erin. I'm your pilot." you say to Erin as you approach your ship, getting used to referring to your computer by name. The Swift Feather is a marvel, a sleek bullet shaped craft made mostly of engine, with anti-matter conventional thrusters as well as the massive warp drive capable of jumping dozens of light years in a single bound. You run your gloved hand along the white metallic surface, the suit conveying the touch as well as if it were with bare fingertips.

"Hey," Erin interrupts you, "you want to feel me up for a while, or do you want to hop in and get started?" The chastisement from the AI oddly embarrassed you, and you stop inspecting the hull and enter the ship itself. The cabin is small: there's a bunk along one wall, a food dispenser along the other, and then the cockpit area. But it's a small price to pay for the benefit of being able to blast off into the unknown reaches of a galaxy filled with alien races and exotic planets.

You sit down in the cockpit, leaning back in the comfortable pilot seat which seems to mold to your form. You look over the panoply of controls and displays in front of you, and realize you're not entirely sure where to begin. "Now, where to go first?" You wonder aloud.

"There are plenty of options!" Erin pipes up cheerfully. "You could make a first contact with an alien race. The Erimosi have put a number of nearby humanoid species into my memory banks, so I can give you a brief description of the best targets to start with.

"You could also scout a potential colony world in another solar system for you humans." Erin continues. "There are a number of candidates, and a survey of the colony world will be crucial to the planning efforts.

"You could also travel into unmapped space. As you know, the galaxy is a very large place. Even the Erimosi have not traveled to most of it. However, I'm programmed to warn you against this action. The Erimosi cannot predict what might happen in unmapped space. It could be dangerous, and potentially harmful to your person. Not to mention your lovable ship AI." Erin adds, prompting you to roll your eyes at the computer's personality.

"Finally, if you are still unsure what course of action to take, you could consult the Erimosi for advice. I am certain they will happily receive you at their embassy on Phobos, Mars's larger moon." You sit in your chair and ponder your expansive options. So much to do, and the choice is yours. Where to start?
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Carnivore (UN: carnivore318 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Carnivore has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2040471-The-Aliens-Feather/cid/1972929-The-Beginning