*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. The Shrink Ray
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2285489-Tiny-Ethan/cid/3345259-The-Shrink-Ray
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Action/Adventure · #2285489
Ethan comes across a strange device that turns out to be a shrink ray.
Chapter #1

The Shrink Ray

    by: TinyEthan13
The heat of the day envelops me as I step out of the air-conditioned school. Fortunately, my house is just a ten-minute walk away. I follow the well-trodden path that leads to the back of the field, where a gate connects to a campus of unattractive glass office buildings. By taking this shortcut, I can shave off some time from my journey. The office park is populated by insurance companies and laboratories, most of which are unfamiliar to me. Walking behind these monotonous structures that line my street, something catches my eye—a gleaming object nestled in the grass. My curiosity piqued, I decide to investigate.

The mysterious item appears to be an electronic device, reminiscent of an old-fashioned remote control. It sports a small satellite on one end and boasts two buttons, a dial, and a call-out screen. One button bears the label "Shrink," while the other is marked "Revert." Contemplating whether this is a genuine article or merely a prank, I surreptitiously glance around to ensure no one is observing me. A tiny voice in the back of my mind urges me to find its rightful owner, but my insatiable curiosity triumphs, and I slip the device into my pocket.

Upon reaching the sanctuary of my room, I shut the door behind me, eager to unravel the mysteries of this newfound gadget. Retrieving it from my pocket, I point it towards my chair and press the "Shrink" button. The device hums softly for approximately ten seconds before emitting a beam of red light that strikes the chair. Astonishingly, I witness the chair diminishing before my eyes until it is no larger than a mouse. Mouth agape in awe, I gingerly pick up the tiny chair, marveling at its intricate details—the same upholstery with a lingering coffee stain. Placing it back on the ground, I decide to restore it to its original size, pressing the "Revert" button. This time, a shimmering blue beam emerges from the device, causing the chair to expand until it resumes its normal proportions. Intrigued, I experiment further and discover that the dial controls the extent to which an object shrinks. Then, my attention is drawn to a note scribbled in sharpie on the device's back: "Prototype #B86—Appears to be in working order after multiple tests. Possible side effect: indestructibility."

An exhilarating realization sweeps over me. I have stumbled upon a prototype for an invention straight out of a science fiction novel. Ever since I watched "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves," my fascination with the concept of shrinking has grown exponentially. Now, with this extraordinary device in my possession, I can hardly contain my excitement. What wonders await me next...
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 TinyEthan13 (UN: tinyethan13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TinyEthan13 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2285489-Tiny-Ethan/cid/3345259-The-Shrink-Ray