*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2304207-SV-Shrinking-Virus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by shadow
Rated: ASR · Interactive · Fantasy · #2304207
How would society respond to a virus that shrinks people?

How would society respond to a virus that shrinks people?

This is an interactive story. Each chapter tells part of the story and often ends with multiple choices. Make a choice and move to the next chapter in your story. When you reach a chapter that hasn't been written yet, don't be shy... make an addition!
The creator of this Interactive Story provides this information and guidance:
Recently, the world learned firsthand how powerful a virus can be. Ironically, something so small as a microscopic germ could bring the world to a virtual standstill. Speaking of size, it’s an instinct from our ancient ancestors to respect those of larger size. I wonder how humanity will respond to a virus that shrinks people. Furthermore, I’m curious how people will react as they or those around them diminish in size. Let’s find out!

About the Virus:
1. The illness is called the Shrinking Virus, or SV for short.
2. The virus cannot make someone smaller than one inch.
3. The virus mainly affects teenagers, young adults, and middle-aged adults. Let’s say 13-50.
4. The virus can stop shrinking someone at any size less than or equal to one inch. A lucky few may only lose a few centimeters, whereas others will end up only an inch tall. But, The person could end up at any size between their original height and one inch tall.
5. The virus works at different speeds for different people. For example, one person might lose two feet overnight, whereas another may only lose a few inches over a few days. The virus can flair up or cool down at any time.
6. Generally, a person who experiences a flair-up (sudden loss in height) will have a cool down after and may only lose a little more height overall and vice versa.
7. Most people whom the virus affects will have one flair-up (sudden loss in height) before the illness runs its course.
8. The general time frame for the virus is about two weeks.
9. The incubation period for the virus is generally two to three days. During the incubation period, a person will feel a cold coming on and may find their clothes looser.
10. While having the virus, a person will experience symptoms similar to a light cold.
11. The virus is only contagious in the early stages, generally before the flair-up (sudden loss in height).

Shrinkees:
People who have lost a significant amount of height due to the virus are known publicly as shinrkees. There are three classes of shrinkees depending on the level of severity the virus has affected them height-wise.

Class C Shrinkee: A class C shrinkee has only lost a little height due to the virus and can still function in normal society.

Class B Shrinkee: Class B shrinkees can be anywhere in height, from the size of a middle school student to a toddler. It’s hard for class Bs to adjust back into their everyday lives, and for this reason, some class Bs are taken care of by a family member or close friend.

Class A Shrinkee: The people the virus has taken the most from are categorized as class A shrinkees. A class A’s height is anywhere from the size of a small toddler to one inch tall. It’s nearly impossible for these people to live independently, so almost all class As have some caregiver.



As the shrinkee community expanded, the government was forced to take action with the “Shrinkee Protection Act” to ensure the safety of shrunken people. The act states that a person who is no longer able to contribute to society due to shrinking is allowed to choose a “caregiver” to watch over them. If a caregiver takes care of a shrinkee, they receive a monthly sum. However, in all the panic about the virus and how it’s impacting the world, the government doesn’t have time to check on shrinkees. Therefore, while most caregivers are family and try to help their shrinkee, some see the shrunken people as pets or even toys. After this law was passed, there came a new category to define shrinkees by their living situation.

Functioning Shrinkee: A functioning shrinkee can live independently despite their size change.

Non-Functioning Shrinkee: A non-functioning shrinkee has chosen or been assigned a caregiver. A shrinkee can request a change of caregivers but must do so to their local government office.

Wild Shrinkee: There are a rare number of shrinkees who have left normal society behind and live independently in the wild. The government encourages people to report wild shrinkees so they can be given caregivers for their safety. Furthermore, a black market in shrunken people has sprung up; therefore, wild shrinkees (and shrinkees in general) must fear being captured and sold.



Rules:
1. Let’s keep vore, cursing, death, and sex to a minimum. At least don’t go into detail about the latter.
2. Stick to the story!
3. Remember that we’re not just focusing on the person’s or people’s experiences with the virus but also how they adjust to the situation. The story should only end when the characters die (please avoid), or they are now in a position to live a safe life. Example: They have accepted being a child’s toy or a surrogate child, or they find a way to have a career and home despite their new size.
4. I won’t knit pick, but let’s try and keep spelling and grammar good.
5. Avoid one-sentence chapters except exploring options; otherwise, chapters must be at least one paragraph.
6. If you want to introduce a cure, it must be late in the story and cannot cause people to grow beyond their regular height. I encourage the treatment to leave them a few feet smaller than their original height, however.

Now, let’s have some fun!
IMPORTANT NOTICE and DISCLAIMER: The content in this story has been rated ASR. However, since this story is created by members, Writing.Com can not control the content within it. As with any item on Writing.Com, the content rating MAY or MAY NOT be accurate and the site makes no guarantees as to the accuracy. Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates will not be held responsible for the content within this interactive story. Posters accept all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content they've uploaded / submitted / posted on Writing.Com.
Please assume this story MAY contain graphic language, sexually explicit text, violence and/or any other displeasing topic you can or can't think up! To be certain you don't encounter textual content that may be offensive, you should leave this area and not continue on within this item.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2304207-SV-Shrinking-Virus