*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/746963-The-TransforMansion/cid/360391-Dead-ends-aka-dying-to-begin
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #746963
A mansion that WILL change you. Over 80,000 Views and 900 Chapters!
This choice: Wander some more  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Dead ends, a.k.a., dying to begin

    by: Unknown
"Now this is odd," you mumble to the empty hallway. The sound of your voice does not hang heavy in the air, nor is there an echo. Yet, there is something strange in way it sinks into the walls and floor, as if the mansion is absobing every word and with each, a tiny piece of your inner self.

A bit taken aback, you shout, trying to produce an echo. The mansion absorbs the sound of your shout and for just a moment, seems distinctly pleased.

None of the doors with wizards and whatnot seem inviting. Bored, wondering vaguely what kind of cliche you've stumbled into this time, you back against the nearest wall and contemplate what meaning, if any, Lord Prosperio's cryptic words might hold.

Outside, a clap of thunder rumbles across the countryside. Up near the end of the hall is a half-dead potted plant across from a marble bust. The bust reminds you vaguely of Franklin D. Roosevelt, although you're not sure exactly why. On the wall directly across from you is the portrait of a portly, middle-aged man in a traditional judge's wig and gown. The painter captured a merry twinkle in the fellow's smile, but there is also a certain darkness to the eyes. While not frightening, the portrait is somewhat unsettling. The statue might resemble F.D.R., but if you had to put a name to the man in the portrait you would call him Benjamin Franklin. Although, like the statue, you're not sure exactly why.

Not wanting to linger in the hallway any longer, you reach for the Wizard's door when a flash of light at the far end catches your eye. It can't be lightning because there is no window, and, unless you are mistaken, the flash of light appeared along the seam where the wall meets the floor.

Curious, and knowing full well that curiosity is the first misstep into the ultimate horror movie of cliches, you walk down to the end of the hall to check it out.

As you pass the half-dead potted plant, an odd shadow catches your eye. Pausing to investigate further reveals an iron lever hidden just behind the base of the plant stand.

Lever? Light?

A smile of anticipation plays across your lips. Knowing full well the lever must operate a hidden door at the end of the hall, you step firmly down on it. The hidden door slides open and you step quickly into the passage concealed behind it.

The passage extends into shadow on both sides of the door. Surprisingly, it does not curve back around to follow the shape of the hall. Rather, it simply runs arrow straight in both directions, making you wonder a moment just how wide the mansion really is. The hard part though, is figuring out whether it runs from right to left or from left to right, or perhaps neither.

With a chuckle, you pull a coin from your pocket, twirl it through the air, catch it lightly in one hand, and slap it down on the back of the other.

The metal is cold and hard against your skin. Lifting your hand reveals the soaring eagle of an American quarter-dollar.

You have the following choices:

1. With a smile, you head off to the left

2. With a smile, you head off to the right

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.
Lord Hugo Prosperio has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/746963-The-TransforMansion/cid/360391-Dead-ends-aka-dying-to-begin