*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1005549-Hydrography
by hydro
Rated: E · Article · Scientific · #1005549
Hydrography is the science of measuring depths in water.
Man from immortal times has been an adventurous animal who always wanted to find new things and search for new places. He travelled places by walk and by boats in water.
To navigate on seas he used stars to guide him and used bamboo sticks to determine the depths before he ventured into.With time, he too felt the need for having a map equivalent on seas for safe navigation.
Thus was born hydrography the science of determining the depths in sea and depicting them in the form of navigational chart. These charts were used by mariners to navigate safely from one place to another. Now the hydrographer who himself has no chart for an unknown sea is preparing a chart for his fellow mariner, hence is collaqually called the explorer of the virgin seas.
Today we hear lot of places being named after the explorers like port blair etc named after these hydrographers.


© Copyright 2005 hydro (nss_hydro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1005549-Hydrography