*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1006131-The-Kingdom-of-Zakarah-Unfinished
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Action/Adventure · #1006131
A new kingdom in a mysterious locale is tested by war. In this Desert Land, it will rain.
A robed figure glided through the city's center. The market buzzed with the voices of hundreds of shoppers. Bare feet padded through the sand, taking their bodies to and fro. Dealers shouted descriptions of their wares, hoping for a few additional sales before dusk. The sun's bright rays still shone, reflecting off each grain of sand blanketing the city. Children yelped with the constant excitement that was childhood; running, jumping and playing games happily. The enigmatic figure was merely another passer-by, and justly ignored. The city flanked both sides of the broad path. Further back, the way the figure came, sat Zakarah's great temple. The robe walked down the mile long path to where it ended at the Gold Reserves. The Kingdom of Zakarah was surrounded all over by caves bearing nuggets of gold, but this was the largest. Beyond this cave was only sand, and nothing more for miles. People gathered their baskets of shopping, ready to retire to their homes for the night. It was for the best; as most crimes were committed at night. Darkness, as it does anywhere, brings uncertainty. It continued to walk. Houses, shops, and stands grew sparse--eventually disappearing altogether. The gigantic cave loomed ahead: dark, intimidating, and to the robed figure's surprise, deserted.


It slipped into the damp cave. Stalactites and stalagmites of dark rock penetrated the floor and ceiling. Only the most worthy found a career in the Gold Reserves. Working in the coolness of the cave was a luxury, and to balance out the rewarding atmosphere, the job payed only moderately. The cave was the source of the city's wealth, and was usually guarded by a troop of warriors. The Reserve's emptiness was totally out of the ordinary. Hundreds of locked bins sat stacked against the walls of the cave. The extracted metal was stored in these bins, and dated with the current day: Moon 1465. This meant they had all been checked and inventoried. These pieces of precious metal were fit for consumer and governmental use. Artisans and Dealers could buy the gold from the Reserves at a set price and sell it however they chose. The figure noticed a bin sitting in the shadows, out of place. It crouched down and peered inside the box. It was empty, and the lock broken. Someone had been here. The flapping of cloth made the enigma turn quickly. An intruder? It pushed back the hood of its robe. The newly revealed woman looked around slowly. She stood up, replacing her hood to cover her face. She'd been away too long anyhow. She exited the cave, careful to avoid the myriad of stalactites. Her bare feet padded softly on the sand. She was sure she heard additional footsteps behind her. She whipped her head around in search, but only the horizon was visible, preceded by miles of sand. She continued, the cave disappearing into her peripheral vision. She placed her hands in her pockets, feeling the cold metal of her daggers. She stopped, and turned completely around, facing the cave. A man obstructed her view.


She pushed her leg back into the sand, creating a steady fighting stance. Her daggers were already out, ready to advance. He held a Khukri and Katana in each hand. He wore billowy white pants tied at the bottoms with black cloth. His shirt was merely a larger and longer length of black cloth tied about his chest. His hair was also black, and pulled back in a ponytail. Neither of them spoke. Neither moved. Unexpectedly, he fell into a single knee bow, holding his swords parallel to his body. The robed woman relaxed a bit.
"Your Highness," he murmured.
The winds weren't blowing today. It was lucky; his voice was so quiet, she could barely hear him.
"You must forgive me." He said mysteriously. She didn't like guessing games, but she played along anyway.
"For what? Please, to your feet."
"I can not face you. I am to kill you."
She was taken aback. Four years of ruling had never presented an assassination attempt. She kept her daggers at the ready position.
"Then what are you waiting for?"
He threw his swords to the side, still not looking up. They clattered in the sand. He hesitated.
"For your guardians to kill me."
She stared at him. Then she pocketed her daggers and edged slowly to his swords. She picked them up and stood in front of the man.
"I do not have guardians." She waited for him to strike. "What will you do now?" She asked.
He didn't respond immediately. Then, "Forgive me. I've watched you..for days now, and I see the error of my way. May I ask you something?"
"You're not in much of a position to request anything, but I'll humor you. What is it?"
"Please remove your robe."
"What?" She asked incredulously.
"A last request, Your Highness."
She was suspicious, but she made sure he didn't notice. She'd be ready if he made any sudden moves. She had his weapons and knew how to use them.

She stuck the heavy Khukri into the sand and put her foot upon the handle. Then, she stuck the light and agile Katana into the sand beside her. It was a trap, a double attack that could prove fatal if she anticipated correctly. Slowly, she removed the heavy robe, still watching the man. Underneath, her royalty showed. White scarves draped about her chest and waist. Gold bracelets hung about her ankles. Gold chains were fastened about her bare stomach. Necklaces draped to her chest, bangles clanked at her wrists, and rings glistened on her fingers. Her hair was a mass of deep brown locks pulled up into a tuft. Multicolored and gold threads were wrapped tightly around each lock. The ponytail of brown, gold and other colors spread out like the feathers of a proud peacock. Her skin was the color of sweetened cocoa. She tossed the robe. The man seemed to look up reluctantly. He peeked first, then held his gaze. Quickly, he put his head back to the ground.
"Thank you. Death will be easier."
She hid a grin. Was that a compliment? "You want to die, don't you?"
"I'm a Rouge. I have nothing to live for."
"Interesting. That seems to be true only for the legendary Rouges. Ones of good repute." The Queen picked up the Khukri and approached the man slowly. "Nothing to live for, you say?" She walked a close circle around him; her lengthy legs brushing against his clothes. She felt his body seize up. She relaxed now. She was a skeptic at heart, but felt honesty radiate from him. As ironic as that was concerning a Rogue...
She pressed on. "I asked you a question--what is your name?" She knelt beside him, the Khukri still ready to be used if necessary in her hand.
"I am Takai. And I have nothing to live for."
She stood up abruptly and swung the Khukri. It landed uncomfortably on his neck without piercing the skin. She'd stopped the sword in a test. He hadn't tried to move out of the way, deflect the weapon--nothing. She brought the sword back up into the ready position.
"Are you stupid or brave, Takai?"
The Rouge laughed. "I'm not really sure, Your Majesty."
Pensive now, the Queen asked, "Would you say you were loyal?" He shifted uncomfortably. She had taken the upper hand, but he must have expected that to happen.
"Until now, yes."
She placed a hand on her hip. "Who hired you?"
"I won't tell you that. I must retain something."
"Stand up." The man didn't move. "Please." She added.
He hesitated, but complied.
"From now on, you will be my Guardian. You will protect me from all harm. That is an order, do you understand?"
The Rouge blinked.
"I'm..honored. It shall be done. But I must do so from a distance. I have to protect my anonymity."
She nodded simply and began walking back to the temple, from where she came.
"My weapons, Your Highness." He called.
"Get new ones." She shouted back.
The Queen disappeared into the distance.


"Why does she need so many stairs?" A man grumbled. It was a hike from the base of the temple's steps up to the temple itself. The Queen's Royal Advisor helped the man up the final step. Then he looked about distractedly. "Well. Where is she?" the strange man demanded. The Advisor's patience was running thin. The King of the Oasis, Newai Iben, along with his thirteen guardians had mysteriously come to visit the city. It was an extraordinary honor. Though Zakarah was a major city, it hardly got much of the recognition it deserved. Now, it seemed to have gotten the most important King in the Land's attention. That, in addition to the Queen's disappearance gave the Advisor a headache.
"Who are you?" The King asked. He was quite rude and disrespectful; definitely not what the Advisor was expecting.
"I am Kanii, Your Majesty. The Queen's Royal Advisor." He bowed proudly.
The King dusted his robes disgustedly. "So much dirt..." Kanii and the King's own gaurdians watched the odd man. Kanii glanced over Newai's shoulder absently. "Oh thank the Gods," He blurted. The Queen of Zakarah jogged effortlessly up the stairs. She slowed when she noticed the small crowd gathered in front of the temple. They admired the temple's craftsmanship, not noticing her. She raised an eyebrow at Kanii.
"Your Highness!" He said loudly. The Guardians withdrew their attention and turned it to the Queen. "This is the King of the Oasis!"
Newai puffed out his chest importantly.
"King Newai, Your Majesty, this is Ahkya Taja, Queen and High Priestess of Zakarah!"
The Queen bowed graciously. "Welcome to our humble village, Your Highness."
He didn't return the bow. The King and his gaurdians stared blankly at the Queen as if surprised to see her.
"Where were you?" He demanded suddenly.
"Why, tending to my city of course." She said nonchalantly. When he didn't reply, she asked, "Shall we go inside?"
She walked past the King and his party, into the temple's main hall.


The hall was a wide breezeway connecting all of the temple. Further in, statues of Zakarah's Gods and Goddesses loomed magnificently. The light around the shrines was dim and calming. The temple was quiet until a small woman ran over to the Queen.
"Your sandals, Your Majesty! You left without them!"
Ahkya slid the golden sandals onto her feet. "Thank you Erra."
The young woman ran off.
"How long will you be visiting, King Newai?" The Advisor asked.
"I'll leave tomorrow."
Kanii stopped a passing priestess. "Aki, prepare a room for our visitor, King Newai of the Oasis. He will be staying the night." The woman's eyes widened as she nodded. She stared at the King for a few seconds before running off.
"So, what brings you to our humble environment?" Ahkya asked.
"Well," Newai began gruffly. "I've heard many great things about your city. This visit is to fulfill my curiosity." He forced a smile. "By the way, how did you become the illustrious Queen and High Priestess of Zakarah?"
Ahkya smiled genuinely. "I can make that story short if you'd truly like to know. We can talk in a more private setting." She gestured to the temple patrons praying, talking, and wasting time around them. They were unoblivious to the meeting only yards away.
Aki, the Royal Assistant, returned to Ahkya's side. "Would you like me to take His Highness to the meeting room, Your Majesty?"
"Yes, please, thank you."
The King and his thirteen intimidating gaurdians followed the woman down the hall.
"So." Kanii huffed. "Where did you go without shoes?"
Ahkya laughed. "First of all, I pretended to be a commoner. They don't wear shoes. I had a robe also, but it got so hot, I left it somewhere. I went to the Gold Reserves, and you know what?"
Kanii shrugged.
"There was no one on gaurd and a whole box of gold was missing."
Kanii's eyes widened. "That's...odd..."
"It is, and I want you to look into that as soon as possible. Talk to Warren himself if necessary."
"I'll do that now." The Advisor walked out into the sunlight, and down the Great Stairs.
Ahkya began walking down the hall to the meeting room. Heavy footsteps echoed behind her. She sighed and turned to face the giant menace.
"Hello Angel."


The man named after the gaurdians and messengers of heaven was aptly fit for the title. His over seven foot tall body gleamed in the evening sun. He was the color of onyx stone. Ahkya assumed he weighed more than could be measured.
"Queen."
He bowed as much as his height would allow. His voice rumbled in Ahkya's ears like an earthquake.
"I am concerned for your saftey." He continued.
"I'd hope so. You're Head of Security." She smiled lightly. He bared his teeth. Her face fell flat.
"Your Majesty, you venture out into the city without warning a soul. There are evils about that would prevent you from returning to the temple. You need gaurdians. Let me arrange them for you."
"No." This was an old conversation that the two constantly bickered about like siblings.
"Why?"
"Because it's already taken care of," said a voice. Angel and Ahkya turned to the window instinctively. A black half mask covered the man's mouth. Only his eyes were visible as he hung acrobatically from the roof. With the flash of a sword, he dissappeared. Angel turned back to Ahkya. She quickly disguised her own mild shock.
"Who was that?!" he exclaimed.
"My gaurdian." She said with a smug smile. She turned on her heel and walked off. With a defeated and confused sigh, Angel turned to leave the temple.


"I was raised in a village near the Lake of Good Fortune. I became a priestess practicing their religion, but I always felt something was wrong. Maybe we were worshipping incorrectly or worshipping the wrong God, but I always thought we were missing something. Soon, I did my own research and found that I was correct. I hadn't set out to disprove my village's religion, but it seemed I had found another one altogther. So I went my own way, following my religion and preaching it accordingly. Eventually I gained like-minded souls and we evolved into the city you see today."
"Ah," Newai began, setting down his cup of wine. The wooden cup clunked down onto the table. Angel and Kanii flanked Ahkya on both sides. They watched Newai blankly, waiting for him to add substance to the one sided conversation.
"Your rise wasn't merely political. You had to get your Queenhood from somewhere..." the King slurred drunkenly.
"Despite his intoxication, he still managed to say something sensible." Kanii murmured. One of Newai's more lethal looking gaurdians shifted his spear threateningly. Kanii raised an unamused eyebrow.
"If you're refferring to war, you'd be correct. I'm not merely a leader because of my religious views. When Zakarah was a simple village, a King challenged my leadership. He'd heard of my secession from the village of my birth, and rumors about my other unorthodox talents. I underestimated his threats. One night, that king and his troops attempted to sneak attack my village. To destroy it. They failed. And I became Queen of Zakarah." Ahkya folded her arms.
"It would almost seem as thought your royalty and the city itself was just...given to you."
"Nothing was ever given to me, if you'd listen to the words I say and not those spoken by the wine, you'd know." She snapped angrily.
"Those are the rumors spread by dwellers of the Oasis--"
"They are incorrect. Those who underestimate me are sadly mistaken. Now it is getting late and I must be off to bed. I hope you'll allow me to take you on a proper tour of the city tomorrow." Ahkya left the room to retire to her quarters.


"Rise and shine, Your Highness! It is day fourteen hundred sixty-six in the Kingdom of Zakarah!"
Ahkya sat up slowly in bed. Through her window, she could see the sun rise over the sand dunes.
"Training for the Rain Ceremony begins today. Everyone is so excited." Erra chatted.
"As am I." Ahkya got out of the bed.
"Your bath is ready. I'll be with you in a moment. I can't seem to find your lavender wraps."


The Queen nodded and left the room. She walked the quiet, empty main hall. The baths weren't opened until almost midday solely for the Queen' privacy. Ahkya had already suggested a private bath be built in her quarters so the Public Baths could be open longer. The city had been growing so fast, the baths were always crowded. For this reason, the position of Water Bearer was one well known and paid. The Lake of Good Fortune seperated Zakarah and the Oasis. It was more than an hourglass' time to get to the Lake, and double that to get to the Oasis. The Water Bearers had to have extreme stamina and be able to work as a team. They worked around the clock, only changing teams to prevent dehydration and exhaustion.


The baths were merely several tubs grouped together. A woman stood near the fire pit in the center of the room, heating a pot of water. She noticed Ahkya and motioned to the tub nearest her.
"One last pot..." she took the scalding pot off the flame and poured it into the stone basin. She sighed with effort.
"There you go."
Ahkya stripped off her robe and slipped into the tub. She held her breath, breaking the surface of the steaming water. Finally, she let out the breath, sitting in the tub.
"So. What's the news with the visitor?"
Meonka walked over to the wall where several other large pots waited. She put the empty pot down and picked up another.
"What do you mean?" Akhya murmured.
"Well...I'm supposed to prepare an extra tub for a visitor. But at this hour? It's strange." She sat the pot on the fire.
"Not for the King of the Oasis."
Meonka turned to Ahkya in shock. The Queen was up to her neck in steaming water.
"The King of the Oasis? Newai?!"
Ahkya opened an eye. "Why does it seem that everyone knows him except me?"


Meonka irratated the Queen on a regular basis. She was the city's gossip--she knew everything about everyone. Her job of course only aided the situation. Every person in the city bathed at one point, which directed them straight to Meonka. The men's attendant, Brock, was a retired Water Bearer. He was old and quiet, which deterred the men from talking to him about much of anything as they bathed. Meonka added a small log to the fire. Timber was also a Zakarian import. Trees didn't exactly flourish near the Lake of Good Fortune either, so most were brought by traders or carriers from the Oasis. Erra walked in with an armful of the Queens things. She neatly folded Ahkya's clothes and sat them on the bench. Then, armed with a sponge and soap, she helped Ahkya bathe.


"To answer your question Your Highness, as you know, quite a few of us are originally from the Oasis. Newai was...a flamboyant ruler. He flaunted his wealth and power much unlike you. I'm sure you remember us forcing you to allow Erra to tend to you." Erra and Meonka laughed.


Ahkya vividly remebered her first days as Queen. She was always independent as a mere Priestess. Becoming Queen Ahkya of Zakarah forced her to adapt to being waited on hand and foot and constantly admired. They were things she was still getting used to.


Minutes later, Ahkya was fully dressed in lavender wraps. She left the temple for her morning walk. It was still early, and the city was quiet. Dealers prepared their stalls for the day's sales. They waved excitedly to Akhya as she trekked off beyond the temple. Despite being the ultimate ruler of her city and its outskirts, Ahkya did not hide behind her position. She explored her city, ruling with a hands on approach. The morning walk was a chance for Ahkya to be truly alone before dealing with the hustle and bustle of economic and governmental matters. She ventured into the desert, walking toward the sun. In her four years of ruling, she had never had a gaurdian. She shunned the thought of it, proclaiming her own battle skills to be as efficient as anyone else's. It still didn't stop Angel from constantly worrying. He felt she went out alone way too often and made it a habit to dissappear without warning anyone. Her defense always involved her refusing to live in fear. She was a person like anyone else and was entitled to live like one in addition to carrying out her governmental duties.


She walked into the sun, concentrating on her plans for the day. If she'd been paying attention, she might have heard the footsteps in the sand. They were hurried...urgent...but all she noticed was the hand clench around her neck. Her eyes widened in fear the same time her hands reached for her daggers. The strangely cold fingers tightened around her throat. She dragged the weapons from folds in her scarves and drove them into the flesh behind her. The hand released, and Ahkya spun around, pulling the daggers with her. She heard flesh rip. The threat faced her fiercely, bleeding from his stomach. Shock hit her like a ton of sand. She was expecting Takai. This was another man who didn't belong. He looked ragged, and angry...dangerous. His stringy black hair fell in his face, stopping at his dirty goatee. He was big; not quite Angel's size, but intimidating nonetheless. He wore layered robes of black and brown, and weilded a single sword. A very large sword. The Bastard Blade, a double edged weapon not made by most craftsmen. It was banned in several places because of the danger it put its victim and weilder in. This was obviously not a factor for this man. Neither of them moved. Ahkya was sure she heard footsteps, but disregarded them as her heartbeat. She waited patiently for him to strike. The man swung his sword around his head and rushed. She prepared for a dodge, waiting for the right time. She spun out of the way as she heard a sudden, skull crunching crack. The man fell down limply. Takai stood behind him, slowly bringing his Khukri down from above his head. He'd struck the man with the blunt side.


"Let's go." He said in his quiet voice.
"Wait--he's not dead--" The Rouge grabbed her arm and ran back across the desert. She followed as best she could, stumbling, his speed affecting her balance. Sand blurred past her as she ran blindly. He stopped at the base of the temple stairs. He ripped off his half mask.
"I am to protect you. You are alive now, but someone wants you dead. I'm sure that man was sent by the same person who hired me. I will stay closer to you from now on."
She stared at him intently. He was right. Someone wanted her dead. But...why? She let the thought dissolve into the depths of her mind. There were other things that needed to be done. For one, she needed to decide if she truly trusted this man, Takai, the Rouge.
His raven-colored hair fell to his shoulders--dark and smooth. It was a contrast from the assassin's stringy, and greasy mass. He looked up at the temple in wonder. It was no ordinary temple, that was for sure.
Ahkya sighed. "Come. I must be late." She started up the stairs. The Rogue didn't follow. She turned to see him still staring up at the building. She grabbed his arm. "Come on."
They walked into the cool hall. Priests and Priestesses scurried about now that the sun had fully risen.
Aki ushered the two in. "King Newai and the others are waiting for you and the morning meal." She rushed them to the Great Room. Newai sat at one end of the table flanked by his troop of gaurdians. Kanii, Angel and Erra sat at the other end. They all waited patiently. Newai looked up as Ahkya took her seat. "Kanii, that is his seat."
Kanii rose reluctantly. Everyone in the room stared at the Rogue as he sat beside the Queen.


The meal was brought in by five chefs dressed in green. They sat the food on the table and left. Takai gaped at the food. He'd never seen so much at one time.
"I can...you don't mind?" he asked, gesturing to the platefuls of food.
"Of course."
He grabbed a small bushel of grapes and began eating despreately.
"Your Majesty," Aki whispered. "Who is this...?"
"My Gaurdian." Ahkya replied loudly. She checked for Newai's expression. He casually whispered something to one of his gaurdians. The man got up from the table and left mysteriously. Newai calmly reached for a date. He ate it delicately, purposefully...slowly. Everyone else began to eat. The room seemed to vibrate with an air of awkward tension. Ahkya broke the silence.
"I hope you slept well, King Newai."
"Ah. Yes, yes, very well, thank you." He replied distractedly. His eyes never left his plate.
"Will you be ready for the tour after the meal?" She asked pleasantly.
"Ah, I'll have to be going.."
Takai looked up slowly, chewing.
"I really need to be getting back. The city needs me, you know."
"Yes of course." Ahkya nodded.
"Actually..we should be going now.." Newai stood up, brushing his robes.
"But--" a gaurdian piped up.
"Now." Newai snapped. He began walking out of the room and out to the temple stairs. His gaurdians followed dumbly.
Ahkya quickly followed, supressing a smug grin. "Newai, Your Highness, so abruptly?"
"Yes." He called, struggling down the great temple stairs.
"Zakarah wishes you a safe journey!" She shouted behind him.
The King continued determinedly down the steps, his gaurdians struggling to catch up.
"May the Gods bless you and your city!" She waved happily from the top of the steps, watching Newai strut down the main road. Kanii, Aki, Erra, Angel and Takai stood behind the Queen watching the King's sudden departure.
"What in the land...?"
Ahkya turned to Kanii calmly. "He seemed to be upset. I wonder what happened."
Aki cleared her throat. "It is almost time for ceremony training to begin."
"And combat training." Angel growled. "You will come with me." He yanked Takai by his sword holster strap.
"And who are you?" Takai asked angrily.
"Head of Security." Ahkya replied.
The Rouge snatched his strap from the giant's hand. "Right."


Some wondered the point of the Rain Ceremony. These were the Desert Lands, where rain should be just a myth.
Those skeptics forgot four years ago when Zakarah was barely an established empire, a select few priests and priestesses along with Ahkya danced the Rain Prayer. The next day, it rained. To the shock and disbelief of everyone, it truly rained. Not a downpour, and not a flood, but steady rain that lasted for two hourglasses. Villagers gathered pots, bowls, basins--anything that would hold liquid--and sat them under the sky. The Water Bearers got three days off. The village of Zakarah celebrated.


It was the quick change of events like these that brought Zakarah to a place of prestige in the Desert Lands. The skeptics forgot this, but it was okay. Faith is what brings everything to a climax. Ahkya stood on the temple training grounds. Priests, Priestesses, men, women, and children of any age were able to participate in the dance. They all walked out to the expansive empty space where Ahkya stood. They bowed respectfully and waited for the training to begin. Minutes later, the grounds were filled with people.
"Another joyus day in the Kingdom of Zakarah." Ahkya said loudly. "In a few moons, we will celebrate the Rain Prayer dedicated to the goddesses Terra Gaia and Attitai. Let us begin."
She walked around the giant 'square' dance floor, arranging the dancers in an open, rectangular pattern.
"We shall begin slowly." She said, returning to her spot, facing the others. "Follow my lead."
Slowly, she reached each hand to the sky, pushed them down, looking toward the ground, spun around in a circle with her arms outstretched and stopped. "Okay!" She turned and watched the people imitate her.
"Now everybody with the music!" The drummers began to play, their beats accenting each motion.
The dancing continued. On the other side of the training grounds, Zakarah's military began combat training with an announcement.
"This," Angel pointed to the Rouge. He looked minature in the giant's shadow. Everyone seemed to look that way.
"Is the Queen's gaurdian."
The giant bent down to make their faces level. "What is your name?"
"Takai."
"What does it mean?"
The Rogue shrugged. Angel stood upright.
"I need to test his skills. Who volunteers to fight him?"
Takai turned to the man, incredulous. "What?!"
At least twenty eager hands went up.
"Okay, you, come here." Angel pointed to a man in the back. The crowd parted to let the soldier through. He was young, and carried a pair of hooked kamas.
"Sir." He stood in front of Takai. Angel backed away from the two, giving them space. The other soldiers moved too, murmuring amongst themselves. Takai was sure he heard a bet placed on his opponent.
The Queen never had a gaurdian in Zakarah's existence. The position was dreamed about by warriors and soldiers alike. It seemed the Queen had gotten a gaurdian overnight, and the troops were eager to test this mysterious man. Eli, the man who had gotten the chance was still an impressionable soldier, always anxious to prove his worth.
"Silence." Angel boomed. "Go."
Everyone became quiet, and no one moved. The soldier was braced for combat. His eyes shifted nervously as the Rouge remained motionless.
"Aren't you going to draw your weapons?" Eli asked cautiously.
"I will."
Eli rushed the Rouge with a flurry of swings from his agile weapons. Takai sidestepped, dodging each swing, and spun into a back kick, his foot catching Eli at the neck. The young man fell forward, staggering. He caught his footing and faced Takai angrily. The Rogue raised a patient eyebrow. Eli hurled one of the weapons at the Rogue, and rushed him again. Takai leaned down, his shoulder perfectly aligned with Eli's stomach. He raised himself up, lifting the soldier into the air, and slammed him to the ground. He unsheathed the Katana and held it to the boy's throat. His foot rested on his chest.
"There. I pulled out my weapon."
Eli squinted up at the sun, defeated. Takai removed his foot and sheathed the sword. "If you'll excuse me, I have a job to do."
Angel looked down at Eli, who still layed on the ground. He looked up at Takai. "Now it's my turn."
Takai's hand still rested on the Katana's handle. "Who is with the Queen?" Takai snapped.
"Who is this Rogue who calls himself Her Majesty's gaurdian?!" Angel bellowed.
"I did not ask for this position. It is Her Majesty's order. I am not your enemy."
"Now you are. Go."
With lightning speed Takai unsheathed both swords and raised them, blocking the beast's sudden overhead slash. Angel's dual staves pushed at Takai's locked swords. The giant pushed at them, trying to break the block. The force made the Rogue slide backwards in the sand. He struggled to hold up the block with every piece of strength he could muster. Suddenly, he withdrew the Khukri and swung it at Angel's midsection. The blunt end sat in the warrior's stomach. Angel looked down in awe.
"It's lucky the Queen didn't lose her Head of Security." He walked off, sheathing his swords.


© Copyright 2005 a writer reborn (theakikage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1006131-The-Kingdom-of-Zakarah-Unfinished