*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1007962-A-Fathers-Worst-Nightmare
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1007962
A father gets a phone call in the middle of a storm.
A Father’s Worst Nightmare


         Jack pulled his desk chair in close to the computer and clicked on the path of the storm.

         “Terri, what time was Cindy supposed to be here?”

         His wife came out of the kitchen drying her hands. “She said she had some errands to run, she should have been here around 3 o’clock.”

         Jack glanced at the clock on the wall. It was already going on four. The phone rang as if on cue.

         “I’ll get it,” he said reaching for the receiver.

         “Dad, is that you?”

         “Yes honey I’m here, but there’s a lot of static on the line.”

         “Dad, you’re breaking up. I’m lost. I must have taken a wrong turn after the river, the pavement stopped awhile back and there’s nowhere to turn around.”

         “The river? Why did you come that way? Never mind. Hold on, I’m trying to find it on the map.”

         “Dad I have to pull over. The rain is getting worse and I’m hearing a thumping sound in the back.”

         Jack pulled the phone away from his ear as a big burst of static came through.

         A man’s voice whispered through from far away, “hang…now…mine.”

         “Honey, is someone with you? I’m hearing another voice on the line.”

         “Dad I don’t hear anyone but you. I may have to call a tow truck, my back tire is flat.”

         He listened for a moment. Not hearing anything else he continued, “alright honey, I found you on the map. You took a right instead of a left off of highway 23.Want me to come for you?”Jack froze when another voice came through the line. Someone had been listening to every word.

         “Hey Paul, I know where that little lady is. Maybe I’ll go give her a hand.”

         “Go for it Tom,” The voice named Paul said, laughing.

         “No!” Jack shouted. “You don’t have to help her, I’m on my way. I’m almost there now.”

         “Dad, Are you coming to get me? Who are you talking to?”

         Jack heard his daughter’s confusion. She couldn’t hear the others. “Hold on a minute honey, someone is on the line…Tom is it?” he held his breath waiting for confirmation.

         “Yeah… it’s Tom,” the voice grudgingly acknowledged.

         “I was just talking to my daughter,” Jack made his voice calm, “Sorry our lines got crossed, but I’m almost there. Thanks anyway though.”

         “That’s funny guy, ‘cause I know you ain’t getting over the bridge. They were closing it when I came over.”

         Jack glanced at his wife. He covered the mouthpiece and whispered, “Get me my cell phone!”
He quickly punched in 911.

         “911, what’s your emergency?”

         “My daughter Cindy is stranded on Mill Lane, there’s a man on his way to harm her,” he heard Terri gasp. “Send a police car.”

         After explaining everything to the dispatcher he handed the phone to his wife. “Stay on the line with them.”

         “Honey, are you there?” he asked into the other phone.

         “Yes dad. I can hear you but your voice sounds funny.”
         “It’s alright honey, it's just the weather, you know how hard it is with cell phones...even on nice days. I called 911…Tom did you hear that?”

         “Yeah I heard. You shouldn’t have done that.”

         “It’s ok dad. You didn’t have to call the cops. Someone is pulling up behind me. I can catch a ride.”

         “Don’t open the door!” Jack shouted, trying to make himself heard over the static. “Listen to me. Lock the door! Don’t let anyone in!”

         Jack could hear his daughter talking to someone. A muffled voice answered her. He pushed the phone tight to his ear. A hammering sound started.

         “Dad someone is trying to break in. Help me!”

         “Help is on the way. Don’t hang up Honey.”
The sound of breaking glass crackled through the phone. Jack jumped from his chair with a yell.

         Grabbing the cell phone from Terri he shouted, “The bastard broke in! He’s got my daughter!”

         The operator tried to sound calm, but even she couldn't keep the shaking from her voice. “Help is almost there sir.”

         He heard his daughter screaming then a slap. He flinched, feeling the sting.

         “The cops are on the way!” Jack shouted. His daughter’s screaming had stopped, but he could still hear her sobbing.

         “By the time they get here, I’ll be gone,” Tom said gruffly. “For now I’ll leave the phone right here on the dash so you can listen to what I’m doing to your little princess.”

         “I’ll kill you!” Jack screamed. “If you hurt her, I’ll find you and slit your throat!”

         “Like I’m going to do to her?”

         Jack collapsed into the chair. “Please don’t hurt her,” he whispered.

         Jack listened in horror while his daughter pleaded with Tom to stop. He continued to plead on his end.

         After what seemed like hours, he heard a siren in the distance coming through the line. Jack grabbed his wife’s hand and squeezed. He listened to the police call the man out. A shot rang out. He listened to the scuffling still trying to hear any sound from his daughter.

         “Honey are you there?” Jack cried. “Baby, please talk to daddy.”

         After what seemed like forever, but was only a few seconds another voice came on the line. “This is Officer Terrance.”

         “Is my daughter alright?” Jack’s voice shook. He held the receiver slightly away from his ear so Terri could listen.

         After a moment of silence the officer said quietly, “She’s lost a lot of blood and it looks like she’s in shock. The ambulance is here now.”

         “Can I talk to her?”

         “Daddy?”

         “I’m here baby.”

         “Daddy…I love you so much.” Her voice faded.

         “I love you too honey, I’ll meet you at the hospital.”

         The officer took the phone and told Jack where they were going. Jack grabbed Terri and held her tight. They both jumped when the front door flew open.

         “Hi mom, dad. Sorry I’m late.” Cindy said shaking rain off her jacket. “The weather out there is awful.” She turned and looked at her parents. Both their faces were ashen. Tears streamed down her father’s cheeks.

         “Daddy what’s wrong?” she cried, running to him.

         Jack grabbed his daughter and pulled her close with shaking hands. He kissed the top of her head and reached for his jacket.

         “Where are you going in this weather?” Cindy asked.

         The relief on Jack’s face mixed with pain. His eyes met his wife's across the room, seeing the understanding in them he pulled the door open, “I have to find someone…to tell him his daughter loves him.”


Thanks for Reading
© Copyright 2005 VixensTime (ikeepbooks4u at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1007962-A-Fathers-Worst-Nightmare