*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008439-Tobias-Vigil-and-Coronation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1008439
This is a short story, in a collection of tales I last toyed with about ten years ago.
Concerning the Vigil of Tobias, son of Torr and his following Coronation

On the sixth day of the Month of Mists in the three hundred forty-ninth year after the Establishment of the Four Kingdoms, Tobias, son of Torr was crowned king of Ardaerr upon the death of his father. This event occurred in the twenty-fifth year of Tobias' life. In keeping with the law given by the Most High King (prior to his departure for Outremer), Tobias was to keep vigil in the throne room of the palace. This was to prevent the Knave from seducing young Tobias from his destiny.

That night, at about the beginning of the third watch, he was visited by three separate apparitions. They appeared to Tobias in this manner: the first was a woman of fairest aspect. Her long, raven-colored hair was worn in an elegant braid crowned by white flowers. Her face was soft and white, causing her black eyes to shine all the more and her crimson lips to look all the more inviting. Her gown was of a green and gold brocade that was pleasing to the eye. “Come away with me, my love, and we will rule only each other,” she said.

“Nay,” replied Tobias. “I have been entrusted with the Kingdom of Ardaerr. No woman who would be my love would ask me to surrender this sacred trust of the Most High King and abandon his people. Leave me now, witch!”

At that, the lady screamed, and before the eyes of Tobias, twisted her form into that of an old black crow which then flew away from the throne room, cawing loudly.

Later, a stout merchant appeared before Tobias. His cloak was of velvet and his garments were embroidered with gold and silver threads. He wore boots and gloves of the softest leather, and his belt sagged under the weight of money bags that were tucked in it. “Heed my counsel, my son, and you will be able to afford all that your royal heart may require.”

“My father did not require much; neither shall I,” was Tobias' brisk reponse.

Then the merchant in obvious pain transformed into a fat, warty toad which hopped away croaking as he went.

Lastly, there came to Tobias a knight dressed in armor of the deepest crimson hue. “March with me, O great warrior, and all of Middanyeard will once again be one kingdom ruled by your sword!”

“Nay! Nay! Only prideful ambition and ingratitude to the Most High King would make me spurn his gifts and desire lands which His Glorious Majesty has given to another!”

Rather than shifting form, as the others had, the knight stormed out of the palace, completing the visitation. It was at that moment that Tobias perceived he had faced none other than the churlish knave himself.

At the first light of morning, the Ceremony of Coronation began, there in the throne room. The four Wardens of Ardaerr were assembled in that place with the Knights of the Most High King present.

As Tobias, yet uncrowned, was seated on the silver and ivory throne of Ardaerr, Sir Conleath, Warden of Stonehelm, came forward and knelt before Tobias, placing his own hands between the hands of those of the new king. “I accept your rule as King of Ardaerr, Tobias, son of Torr.” This oath was repeated by Archmail Kesteven, Warden of Stonegate, by Lady Judith, Warden of High Stone, and by Theophilia Pieta, Warden of Stonecipher.

Then the Knights of the Most High King stepped forward, drawing their swords in salute. “Hail, brother,” Sir Gilchrist, the captain of the company addressed Tobias. “We, too, accept you as king, but we charge you to remember your vigil, lest the Knave try yet again to weaken your loyalty to His Glorious Majesty.”

At that moment, Master Bonifaz, Seneschal of the Kingdom called for peace in the room. “As keeper of the royal regalia, I accept your rule as well. I now crown you King of Ardaerr, to rule in the name of the Most High King unto the day of his return from Outremer. Long live King Tobias!”

“Long live King Tobias!” The cheer echoed throughout the hall for several moments. Then King Tobias called for music and feasting and merriment, for he knew that dark times must surely come.

(3-31-92)
© Copyright 2005 Cleireac (cleireac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008439-Tobias-Vigil-and-Coronation