*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1009509-How-King-Tobias-Found-His-Queen
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1009509
This would be a sequel, of sorts to the Coronation of Tobias
How King Tobias Found His Queen

In the third year of his reign over Ardaerr, King Tobias desired for himself a bride, a chaste maid who would rule beside him as his queen.

Accordingly he sent letters to all of the nobles of Ardaerr, requesting that they send to Stonehelm their daughters of marriageable age so that he might choose one to be his wife.

On the appointed day, there were assembled in the throne room some twenty damsels, all the daughters of the nobility and peerage of Ardaerr. Sadly, though all pleased his eyes, none pleased the spirit of King Tobias. So he sent them back to their families along with rich gifts to soothe any feelings that might be hurt.

Then King Tobias sent emissaries to Lorenzo Kiernan, Count Palatine of Wesley, to Philostrate Spiridon, Exarch of Panutopos, and Laurents de le Duc, Margrave of Valerie', all requesting the honor of returning to Ardaerr with noble maids that the king might select one for his bride. But alas! As King Tobias looked on each one, none were able to distinguish themselves as being the one that would rule beside the king. They spoke to the king most kindly, but to each other their words were full of venom desiring to discredit another before the King Tobias. With great sorrow, King Tobias sent each one away to return to their homes.

Despairing of ever finding a woman to marry and be queen of Ardaerr, King Tobias decided to ride out alone and visit the countryside as he would oft do as a boy. As he rode along, his horse stumbled and the king was tossed from his mount. King Tobias struck his head on a rock and fell into unconsciousness.

When he awoke, he found himself in a small room, covered with a blanket that at one time was evidence of great wealth, but now patched here and there. The door opened and a young maid walked in, her face as radiant as the morning sun and her hair honey-golden. “Ah, the mighty knight has at last conquered his deep sleep!” Her merry voice floated to the king's ears, bringing a smile to his lips.

For three days she attended to him and for three days he watched her; she was the only child of a minor noble, whose wealth was fast disappearing because for several years the fields had failed to yield a good harvest. She did not come when the king sent his summons because her father was gravely ill, and, since her mother died when she was very young, she stayed home to tend to him. In the time he was there, Tobias never told the fair Miriam who he was, so as best to judge the nobility of her motives, for as we have seen, noble birth does not necessarily make one of noble character. Miriam said naught unkind of any; from the meanest peasant who scratched what he could from the land to Tobias, whom she did not know was king of Ardaerr, thinking him to be only a high-born knight. She was gentle and loving to all.

Soon came the time for Tobias to return to Stonehelm. “Lady Miriam, it is my understanding that King Tobias still has not found his queen. Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to Stonehelm so that the king may meet you and see for himself those gentle and noble qualities which I have seen these past three days?”

“My good Sir Knight, I am sure the king would not find me a suitable bride; I come not from a wealthy family, and my father's title is not considered high even around here,” she replied, blushing and lowering her meadow-green eyes.

“Nevertheless, please return with me.”

At length she consented, and, bidding farewell to her father, they left for Stonehelm.

As they entered the palace, King Tobias gave charge of Miriam to the ladies there to prepare her for an audience with the king. Then taking leave of her himself, he went to his chambers and prepared himself.

Miriam waited anxiously for the appearance of the king, casting her eyes about the throne room in search of her gentle friend the knight.

Suddenly, the herald cried out. “Oyez! His majesty, Tobias, Son of Torr, King of Ardaerr, Lord Protector of the Western Guardpass!”

All knelt in reverence to the king, who strode forward to the lovely Miriam. “Rise, my dear Lady Miriam,” he said gently to her. Her eyes widened as she recognized him.

“My Lord and my King!” she whispered.

King Tobias took her hand looked deep into her eyes. “Will you consent to marry me?”

“Your Majesty, you know me! You know from whence I have come!”

“I do, but I also know that in your presence my spirit is pleased. Honor me by being my bride and ruling Ardaerr alongside me as my queen.”

She consented and they were wed amid great rejoicing by the people of Ardaerr. King
Tobias summoned Miriam's father and he became the king's chamberlain, a wise and trusted adviser to the king, and the king loved his queen and she loved him.
© Copyright 2005 Cleireac (cleireac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1009509-How-King-Tobias-Found-His-Queen