*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1012911-The-Savage-Predator
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Nature · #1012911
This story was written for my high school college writing class.
The forest slumbered with a gentle quietness as the wind rustled through the abundant leaves of the towering trees, carrying the scent of damp soil and molding vegetation. Trickling water created a soothing melody, while small animals loped and trotted through the underbrush, their little feet and sharp noses picking out their path. A lonely bird twittered, adding its voice to the sound of scraping stones as it reverberated through the warm air. Amidst the forest tapestry lay thick, solid logs dotted with colorless mushrooms. Glimpses of a pure blue sky could be seen through the interwoven branches.

Squatting on a fallen log was a thin, shrunken man, his jutting bones emphasizing his thinness. Across his dark, flaking skin was cuts, scrapes and long gashes. He was naked but for a dirt-stained cloth that smelled of sweat and old urine hanging around frail hips. A long face with sharp features stared intently at the objects in his wind-chapped hands. Bits of dried blood and dirt clung to cracked lips. Thick, black hair hung in greasy clumps to his shoulders, held back only by large sunburned ears. Heavy eyebrows topped off dark, wild eyes that gave the impression of a man about to snap. Skeletal hands clasped two stones; chips flew as he shaped one to a sharp point. Thunder rumbled from his sunken stomach, silencing the twittering bird.

In the corner of the man’s vision a small creature darted. His grip strengthened on his small weapon as his savage eyes swung towards the sound. The long-eared animal darted to and fro as he leapt after it, his primitive knife falling heedlessly to the ground. Bloody lips pulled back from pointed teeth, and dirty hands formed claws as he tore after his prey. A storm of limbs ate up the ground while his harsh, unused voice let out a warrior’s cry. Vaulting over logs and dodging trees he ran; his fierce, untamed eyes fixed on the creature. With a final cry and he a heave of muscle he pounced. Bony hands clamped on the squirming animal while his sharp teeth ripped into its hide.

Dirt-encrusted fingernails sank deeper into the animal’s haunches as his teeth tore at its flesh. Sweat, blood and mucus ran down his face as he continued feeding. He lifted his shaggy head and glanced for scavengers, then continued his meal. Across his chest and arms streaks of blood raced down to gather at his feet. Biting into a bone, the man paused. Carefully he removed the offending object from his mouth. His chin dripped blood and bits of flesh clung under his fingernails. With a quick look around he returned to his feast. When all that was left of the creature was the bones, fur and head, he tossed it aside.

He lazily sat on a stump and rubbed his protruding belly, content for the moment. The storm in his stomach had passed only to return with a sudden violence. His stomach clenched and an upheaval of raw meat mingled with stomach acid fell to the ground. For several minutes the heaves continued while sweat trickled down the savage’s face. After the ordeal the man stared at the rejected pile, considering, and with a sigh of hunger, he stretched out his blood-stained hands.
© Copyright 2005 Treegurl77 (treegurl77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1012911-The-Savage-Predator