*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1013150-Whats-In-A-Review
Rated: E · Editorial · Experience · #1013150
What’s in a Review? What are my credentials for reviewing something.
What’s in a Review?

If I review you, it is of course only my opinion, just as it is with anyone else, however here is what is behind that. I read a book a day, and have since I finally was able to read, despite my learning disability, in the second grade.

By the time I was eleven years old, I grew bored with the Barbara Cartlands and Nancy Drews my mother kept giving me, and began raiding her library in the basement. There I found such inappropriate reading as “Looking for Mr. Goodbar”, and “Stranger in a Strange Land”. I eagerly devoured every thing on her shelves, until I discovered the school library. Each week I would check out five or six books at a time.

In college, I was at one point the news and features editor and also had my own column. At my last job I wrote the company bulletins and newsletter.

I’ve taken college writing classes, as well as online writing classes. I have been a subscriber to Writer’s Digest for five years or more. I’ve purchased and read numerous books on writing (the best of which is Stephen King’s). I have been writing myself since I was eleven years old, and have been published once. Of course I have only submitted twice so I guess those are pretty good odds.

Finally, I love people and I genuinely want to help others. I would never say anything to anyone just to hurt them or to minimize their work. If I say something critical it is meant to be constructive, and if I put something out there I would expect the same in return.

If I say something positive I am being honest, I am not just saying it to be nice because in the end I don’t see that as being helpful to the person. If I can’t do that then I don’t review the item. I won’t review someone if I can only be hurtful.

Finally, I am too honest for my own good. If you have seen my blog you know that to be true. Therefore if you have a question or an issue with a review I have done, write me back, and I will try to be clearer. More than likely it was a poor choice of words on my part.

Respectfully Yours,

Maureen
© Copyright 2005 Maureen O'Loughlin (lmolsen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1013150-Whats-In-A-Review