*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1015061-Blind-Spot
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1015061
We can't always see the road we want to. Maybe there is a chance.
Nick was visibly concerned as Amy dragged him into the party. He preferred to close himself in his room and read a good book. Amy was never satisfied staying home on Friday nights. They seemed to be diametrically opposed, but had formed a close friendship.

Amy was tragic and seemed closed off to most people, but her darkly painted eyelids would widen with anticipation when he would knock on her door. Dark black hair flew behind her like a glorious medieval cape as she ran to the entrance of her house. She would hide her grin and let him in, pretending that she could have cared less if he had paid her a visit or not. Pushing him into her room she would ask him why he had come over. Secrets, desires, and mistakes from the day were all discussed after she shut the door to their sanctuary. Some times she would cry, other times she would laugh, but she would always give him a bear-hug before letting him leave.

Nick knew that she allowed him to see a side of her that no one else was able to. Ever since his first attempt to date her in the seventh grade, she had refused. She didn’t want to lose him as a friend The Ladder Theory held consistent proof in his inability to gain her affections: Once a friend, always a friend. It had been seven years of denial, but his hopes were temporarily renewed every time he would receive her exit hug.

It may have been his desire to prove to her his versatility that caused him to agree to going to a party with her. Amy had a desire to mingle, and he would soon discover who she was at these parties. She ducked her head in a pseudo-bow to deny all eye contact with the group surrounding the door. She wasn’t interested in them, which was explained as one of the nameless faces whispered, “Looks like the freak show rolled in.”

Nick was so shocked that his freckled cheeks became even more red than usual. He adjusted his thin square glasses on his face and pushed back his short red hair in order to hide his discomfort. He thought that he should have done something about the rude greeting but he chose to lean on the side of safety and silently followed her into the kitchen.

Amy hid behind her hair while talking quietly to a group of guys with plaid pants and country club sweaters that hung mockingly over their thin frames. She neglected to introduce Nick to her friends so he assumed that he wasn’t supposed to be part of the conversation. He turned his gaze to a table full of Zeta Kappa Delta’s who were playing Texas Hold’Em on a foldable poker table. He saw a girl wearing shiny black pants, which were much too tight to contain her curvy figure approach the table.

With a shy, innocent voice she said, “Mind if I play?”

The players all nodded eagerly and quickly ushered one of the younger fraternity brothers from the table so she could sit down. His striped polo was green and yellow. Every one of the college boys was wearing a different polo and designer jeans. The one in the green and yellow recovered masterfully from his ejection from the game. He went to the refrigerator and procured a beer for himself and made a mixed drink for her. He returned to the game and offered her his 150 proof concoction. She accepted it willingly and continued to allow the others to teach her the intricacies of their new favorite game. Nick chuckled at the way the guy in the green and yellow was attempting to win her over by softly massaging her shoulders.

Nick was denied the resolution of who would win the game when Amy tugged on his arm. She held him at the wrist until they arrived in a large back room. Smoke exploded out the door when they entered. Nick knew he would get a contact high if he stayed in the room too long. He decided that it was okay and sat in the circle which widened slightly to let them in. They seated themselves just in time to hear a character who resembled Luigi from Super Mario brothers yell, “And she put her butt in the holy water!” Nick couldn’t help whispering to Amy that a guy like that should shave his mustache, or at least avoid wearing green shirts. Amy giggled and then became stone. Laughter was a weakness she didn’t want to reveal to that group.

She didn’t want to be pegged as some idiot who laughed at any joke that was thrown out to her. She, however, allowed herself to smile as Luigi continued with another joke about two nuns and a redhead. Nick was uncomfortable with the joint that was slowly creeping its way towards Amy and him. He leaned over and quietly asked her if she wanted anything. All she wanted was a Diet Coke. He could remember that.

He allowed a little extra smoke to escape the room as he looked back at Amy. She accepted the marijuana cigarette with her right hand and handed it to the next person without taking a pull from it. Nick smiled and exited the room.

Halfway down the hallway, he passed by a girl that anyone else would have gawked at. Nick barely noticed her long blonde hair, tight blue tube top, and pre-ripped jeans which must have cost a minimum of $200. He was virtually unconcerned with the small denim purse that nestled comfortably under her left arm and the cell phone she held dearly to her right ear. He didn’t notice that her beautiful face which was masterfully painted with a pink glittery lipstick, soft blue eye shadow, and a touch of blush. If he had taken any interest he would have seen her distress as she whispered, “I love you,” into her phone and received no reply.

He had heard her begging for attention. Even though Nick didn’t know her, he began to feel sorry for her. He empathized with the love she was desperately proclaiming without return. He turned around to discover who she was, but she had already entered the smoke filled room that he just left. She was the first person at the party that he had any connection with and he hadn’t even noticed who it was. What he had discovered, however, was her perfume. Not a connoisseur, he was unable to tell that it was the new fragrance from a new pop star. He immediately knew that she had used too much of it, since the scent continued to assault his senses even though she was in another room.

Nick continued down the hall and discovered the kitchen littered with pizza boxes. The smell of the sauce and cheese helped clear his nostrils of the perfume smell that had overwhelmed him in the hall. He opened the fridge and snatched a Diet Coke for Amy and a Sprite for himself. Nick then scavenged the pizza boxes for pepperoni. He couldn’t stand anything that could contaminate the joyous union of cheese, sauce, and meat. Amy was a vegetarian and would have scoffed at Nick for having the same thing, yet again. While she wasn’t one of those people who said that meat was murder, Amy was insistent that meat caused short life. She would tell Nick about the pictures she had seen of the clogged intestines of people who ate meat compared to the healthy, clear ones of vegetarians. She even promised to give him anything he wanted if he went without meat for a week. He had undertaken the task with great passion and purpose, to request a single kiss.

Seven long days were more than worth it. After Nick had completed his task, she leaned in and he closed his eyes, preparing for his deserved prize. He was unable to see her lips redden with desire as she made contact. Nick wished for the year long seconds to last longer, but she pulled away. Nick thought that she hated him for his request to kiss her. But, she wouldn’t have given him her first kiss if she didn’t want to.

Nick was disappointed when he couldn’t find any pizza’s that fit his desires. He began to walk back to the smoke filled room, only to discover the blonde from earlier running into the backyard with tears in her eyes. He went out to investigate her misery. Nick was always willing to help a woman in distress.

He placed the cold beverages on the counter and wiped the shimmering precipitation from the cans on his pants before walking out to talk to her. He walked outside and saw her sitting on the far side of the porch with her head down. Her hands were gripped tightly around her golden strands and her body shook with the conclusion of her crying. Nick was definitely outmatched by his dark haired challenger. His adversary had soft blue eyes and wore a T-Shirt from the 80’s with his loose corduroy pants. Nick watched him kneel in front of her and place his hand on her knee. “Are you okay?”

Nick took a backwards step towards the sliding glass window when she stood up, grabbed the handsome slacker by the shoulders and pushed him against a beam which was supporting the awning above their heads. She ignored her tears and ran her hands through his hair as they kissed. Nick’s mouth gaped at the daring sight that was so foreign to him. He blinked and halfway turned his head away from the scene as the guy’s hand started rubbing her inner thigh. Nick was about to go inside when the dark haired man started rubbing too high and she pulled away and slapped him in the face. She shoved Nick out of the way and charged back inside.

The guy yelled, “What are you looking at? She just freaked!”

Nick was not interested in talking with him and went back inside. He grabbed the warming cans of soda and began walking towards the back room when a loud, deep roar attracted Nick’s concentration. He looked at the circle of people where a dining table usually stood. They seemed to be cheering the delusional man in the center of their man-made boxing ring. Inside was an older man with grungy clothes who seemed like he hadn’t showered in weeks. The man yelled and cursed at his shadow to leave him alone. He circled his shadow, only to discover there was only way he could attack it. He punched the air four or five times before he felt victorious. He started to leave the circle when he realized that his shadow was still following him. He started to yell, and instead began pounding the ground. He cried and apologized to his shadow. He smiled and said, “Ya’ve been there through da good and da bad.”

Nick laughed with the rest of the crowd then walked down the long hallway. When he opened the door he was pleased to see that most of the smoke had dissipated. The circle they had been sitting in earlier was gone along with the smoke. People were sitting around, glassy eyed, talking about the perception of good and evil. Had Amy still been in the room she would have argued on the side of Luigi. She would tell the group how evil can only be as bad as we perceive it. Without good, there is no evil, therefore both are important.

Nick’s bushy eyebrows squished together as he took one more look over the room. It was then that he realized that the dark haired foe from earlier was blocking Amy from his sight. He was not making out with her like he was with the blonde girl, but he was definitely making an attempt to flirt with her. Amy peered in Nick’s direction for a moment before she smirked at the guy who was lavishing her with attention. Nick’s smooth adversary stepped closer and pretended to not notice when his hand gently rubbed against Amy’s outer thigh.

Nick’s eyes swelled in his skull because of shock. His brace-perfect teeth crushed together with anger. Littered freckles brightened with humiliation. Nick took two steps forward, but stopped when he saw that Amy took a step away from the flirtatious aggressor. The guy seemed smart enough to allow her some space, so they continued talking.

Feeling like a fool, Nick tried to divert his attention to the conversation about evil. Nick could tell evil was brewing in the room as the dark haired opponent once again took a step towards Amy. His hand avoided touching her this time, but he seemed to be preparing for something. Amy smelled the full brunt of the alcohol he had on his breath as he leaned in to kiss her.

Nick stood up and Amy leaned away from the attempted robbery of a kiss. Her eyes begged for Nick to do something. Nick walked up beside Amy and put his arm around her waist. He smiled and said, “Let’s get out of here.” They walked out the door, leaving the perpetual Lothario unfulfilled yet again.

Nick released her waist as they arrived at his car. Amy seemed despondent, waiting for him to unlock the car door. Nick opened the passenger door and waited for her to get in. She complied, but slammed the door and crossed her arms. He walked around and sat in the driver’s seat. It took two failed attempts before the engine of his 25 year old car finally turned over. Nick wanted to ask if she was okay, but he was afraid that she may have secretly wanted the guy to take advantage of her. He had seen too many travesties that night, and he just wanted to drop her off and go home.

Amy sat with a blank expression, eyes closed, for the entire ride to her house. She got out of the car and said, “I hope you don’t think I’m a freak now.”

“Why would I think that?”

“I don’t know, it’s just frustrating.”

“Amy, maybe we should go inside and talk about this.”

She leaned against his car in a silent protest to his request. She pointed her sapphire eyes at Nick and allowed her tears of relief to fall. She smirked and said, “Thanks for always being there. I don’t know what would have happened.”

“I guess that’s how it is. I can’t stop myself from being there for you. It’s my duty as a friend I suppose.”

“You have saved me more than you can ever know. Not just tonight.”

She pushed herself away from the car and approached Nick. He stood frozen, not knowing what to do. She grabbed his hand and places it around her waist. Her arms lifted up and wrapped around his neck. He welcomed her soft body that touched his, and said, “Like I said, what are friends for?”

She sighed and gave him a hard kiss on the cheek. Nick shook his head as she left him on the sidewalk and went inside. He got back in his car and drove home hoping that some day she would accept his affections and he wouldn’t have to fake that she was his. He repeated his despondent mantra, “Once a friend, always a friend.”
© Copyright 2005 Wildleaf (wildleaf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1015061-Blind-Spot