*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021055-Pru-and-Lily-Part-III
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Turtle
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Friendship · #1021055
another segment in teh saga
SATURDAY 8:12A.M. LILY
I woke up the next morning, Ryan was already awake. I left the room to see Agent Murray talking to aunt June and uncle Stan in the living room.
I could hear what he was saying, so I eaves dropped.
“We’re looking around for Pat’s friends, he had a brother, but he hasn’t spoken to his mother in over a decade. He has a record, just minor stuff like domestic disturbance. His name is John Greene. He too disappeared in 1982, the last the grandmother knew, John had two children and was married, two boys.
“Do you know anything else?” uncle Stan asked.
“The grandmother says he was a very religious guy ever since his father’s death when he was 8. The grandmother has assured us that if he’s still as religious as he was back then, your daughter is safe.”
“Can you assure us that he is that religious?” aunt June asked.
“No, but people are liable to change like that.”

SATURDAY 8:35 A.M. PRU
“Where are we moving cows from?” Pru asked.
“Down the road to here, it should take us more than an hour.” Cole said as Brad pulled up along side Pru, very close.
“Hey Pru, I liked our visit last night,” he said and put his hand on Pru’s leg.
“Me too,” Pru said disgusted, but trying hard to hide it.
John pulled up between Pru and Cole.
“Hello Pru, are you behaving?”
“Yes sir!” she answered promptly.
“I’m glad to see you and Brad are happy. The priest will be by tomorrow to marry you.”
“What about a dress?”
“You can choose from my wife’s closet.”
“Okay,” Pru said, thinking that that would’ve been a good excuse.
They reached the field, “Pru, Brad, you stay here, we’ll go in and scare out the cattle. You make sure they head the right way. Brad, you lead them, Pru, you wait here.” John told us.
Brad and Pru sat in the middle of the road on their horses.
“So, a day?” Brad smirked.
“Yeah,” Pru forced a smile.
Brad turned his horse around and came up along Pru’s horse, so close in fact, that Brad barely got his leg past Pru’s. He put his hand on her leg, and leaned in for a kiss. Pru hesitated, but then kissed him. He sat up straight again, but left his hand on her thigh.
The cow’s started coming out, “I’ll see you later,” Brad said.
Pru stayed put, and all the cows followed down the road. Hope started to cry, so Pru fed her a bottle.

SATURDAY 11:48A.M. LILY
“Where is she?” I asked no one in particular as I stood in the front yard.
Anabelle came up behind me, “She’ll be back.”
“What did Murray say earlier?” I asked
“They have a new suspect, they think he’s out for his brother’s revenge.”
“So where is she?”
“They don’t know, he was like his brother, only he didn’t keep in touch with his mother. They’re checking Pat’s phone record to see who all he called.”
“Hey Anabelle, how long has it been?”
“Almost 72 hours, why?”
I sighed, “It seems like forever.”
“Have you called your family?”
“Yeah, they said they were sorry they couldn’t come.”
“You didn’t tell them what happened?”
“I didn’t want to stall the wedding,” I told her.
“Oh, I almost forgot, Agent Murray was bringing in the media. He thinks that if we get Pru’s picture out there that maybe someone had seen something.”
“Why didn’t they think of that faster?” I was frustrated again.
“I don’t know, but the news stations will start showing up soon for the press conference.”
I started thinking, “Hey Anabelle, will you go in and ask Agent Murray if we can call it a truce, I want to ask him a favor?”
“Okay, stay here,” Anabelle went into the house.

SATURDAY 12:47P.M. PRU
Pru sat on her horse; Hope was now sleeping. Cole was riding at her side.
“Cole, why would your dad want to tell my parents that he was Pat?”
“My uncle Pat has been going a little crazy lately, he’s been making a list of all the people that he thinks sinned against him. My father and him are very religious, so he believed in killing all sinners.”
“Doesn’t that make your father a sinner?”
“He believes that God has granted him immunity.”
Pru and Cole were silent for a while, just following the cows.
“Are you really going to marry Brad?”
“I don’t know, I don’t want to but I don’t want to be hurt more.”
They had reached the house. They scared the last of the cows into the field, and then brought their horses to the barn.
Brad and John got off their horses first.
“Pru, you can unsaddle these two and your own, then feed and water them. Cole will show you where everything is. Afterward you can come in the house and shower before the big day tomorrow.” John said before he and Brad left.
Pru sat on her horse, Cole jumped off his horse and came over to Pru.
“I’ll take Hope for ya,” he said taking the grain sack. Cole set Hope on the ground as Pru started to dismount.
Cole grabbed her hips and helped her down. When she turned his and her face were no more than 8 inches apart but that was primarily from the height difference. Pru smiled, and kissed him. His lips were just as she had imagined, tender and soft.
“We better be getting to work,” Cole said.
Pru opened her eyes slowly, Cole kissed her lips quickly and then ran across to his horse.
Pru walked the three horses to the barn and tied them up separately. Pru unsaddled Teddy, then his bridle and finally walked Teddy into his stall.
She then moved on to John’s horse, she led that horse into its stall, and finally the horse Brad had ridden.
With all three horses in stalls, Pru started filling a bucket with water, but when she went to lift it, she cried in pain.
Cole ran over, “Is it your back?” he asked.
“Yeah.”
“Okay, you get the oats then, Go one horse at a time, I’ll do the water.” Cole said.
Pru smiled, “Thanks.”
So as Cole watered the horses, as Pru gave them their grains. After feeding them all, Pru picked up he grain bag that had held Hope.
“Oh my god! Hope’s gone!” Pru yelled.

SATURDAY 12:58P.M. LILY
I sat on the bench outside.
“Miss Spencer-Black?” Agent Murray said popping his head out the kitchen door.
“Truce?” I asked putting my hand out.
“You sure?” he smiled and came out.
“I’m sorry, I’m under a lot of stress, and I’m not used to this. So to me it appeared as if you were doing nothing, and I kinda freaked out.”
“I understand, and as long as you’re calm, I’ll let you back in the same room as me. But it was a good hit, I never would’ve expected it from you.” He turned his head and sure enough his eye was black and blue.
“So what do you have on the brother?”
“Not much, he too disappeared.”
“God, too bad Pru wasn’t here.”
“Why?” he was obviously confused.
“She loved cop shows, she was always able to solve the mystery before the end.”
“Maybe she should become a cop.”
“Agent Murray, can I please speak at the press conference.”
“Sure.”

SATURDAY 1:14 P.M. PRU
Pru and Cole searched the stalls with the horses in them. Hope was nowhere.
“Let’s go inside, she’ll show up.” Cole said.
“But-“ Pru said.
“We need to go inside, she’ll be fine,” Cole wrapped his arm around Pru’s shoulder.
They walked to the house and right before they went inside, Cole took his arm off of her.
“Be smart,” Cole advised.
Cole opened the door, Pru went in first.
“That didn’t take you long,” John smiled.
“Where’s Brad?” Cole asked.
“Drawing up a bath for his bride.”
Pru lowered her head.
“Hello!” Brad said cheerfully, Pru looked to see him holding Hope.
“Oh my god, how did you get her?” Pru snatched Hope.
“She was whining at the door,” Brad said touching Pru’s face with one hand. “Let me show you to your bath.”
Brad led Pru to the bathroom, “Here you go, there are the towels, and afterwards you can go in that room to find clothes.”
Pru went into the bathroom clutching Hope to her chest. Pru placed Hope on the towels and Hope lay down. Pru turned around making sure the door had shut. But just to be sure, she walked over and locked it.
She then undressed and slowly lowered her body into the bath. Her back ached when it hit the edge, she cringed, then relaxed as the warm water calmed her muscles.
Pru found a bar of soap, and scrubbed herself. She then found a razor and shaved her stubbly legs.
Hope jumped off the stack of towels, and onto the ledge of the bath.
“You don’t want to take a bath,” Pru said.
Hope looked at her, her eyes only just cracking open.

SATURDAY 2:04 P.M. LILY
The FBI couldn’t find anything on John, so they started calling schools with two kids with the same last name; two boys. The FBI knew their names, but wouldn’t tell us.
Uncle Stan went to work in his garage, fixing Pru’s car. Some men from the FBI were helping him. Aunt June was going to her mother’s to help with some cakes. Anabelle was on the computer searching the white pages and some other sites.
George was still out in his fort, so I decided to visit with him. I walked back there and knocked on the door, “George, can I come in?”
“Sure.”
I walked in, there were papers all over, “What are you doing?”
“Writing.”
I picked up a piece of paper, it read, “Come home safe Pru,” in large letters.
“What are you writing?” I asked.
“Poems and letters to god.”
“Letters to god?” I asked.
“Yeah, I’m writing him to ask him for Pru’s safe return.”
“What are all the rest of these papers?” I questioned.
“Screw-ups,” George looked at me.
“So where is the real one?”
“Right here,” he said handing me a piece of paper.
“Do you mind if I read this to the news people?”
“Why would you want to do that?”
“People will feel our pain if I read this, they’ll know the truth.”
George’s eyes filled with tears, “Will she come home?”
I knelt down and hugged him, “She’s coming home, don’t worry.”
I left the fort in time to see the press conference beginning, and I ushered George to come with me.
“As of yet we cannot identify a clear suspect, this press conference today is just to make the communities aware of a missing lady whose family wants her to come home safe.” Agent Murray said.
George held my hand as we neared the podium.
“Right now, Pru’s cousin Lily would like to say a few things.”
I let go of George’s hand so he could stay by my uncle Stan.

SATURDAY 2:37 P.M. PRU
Pru stood up in the tub and draped herself in a towel. With the other towel she dried her hair, and then picked up Hope in it.
Pru unlocked and opened the bathroom door. She peeked her head out and saw that no one was in the hallway. She quickly crossed the room Brad had pointed to and she went inside and turned on the light.
The room looked more like a boy’s room than a mom’s room. Pru set Hope in her towel on the foot of the bed. She turned and opened the closet door.
Brad jumped out and tackled Pru onto the bed, “Hello my beautiful blushing bride,” he pulled open her towel. He started kissing her mouth and neck.
“Brad, can’t you wait until tomorrow!” Pru said quickly.
“No,” he lifted his mouth in between kisses.
Pru started pushing him off of her, “Brad, not today.”
Suddenly Brad’s head was pulled back. “I know you weren’t trying to fornicate with your bride, now were you?”
Pru looked up to see Cole holding Brad’s head by his hair. Pru closer her towel quickly as Cole pulled Brad off of her.
“Did you tell her that this was Mama’s room?” Cole asked.
Brad didn’t answer.
“Sorry about that Pru, Mama’s room is at the very end of the hallway on the right. Brad’ll leave you alone. Won’t he?” Cole shook his brother.
“Yes,” Brad said.
Pru held her towel and picked up Hope. She left the room and ventured down the hall.

SATURDAY 2:40P.M. LILY
“My cousin Pru is a strong willed woman, she is still alive. We all know it. My cousin George, Pru’s youngest sibling, has written a letter I’d like to read now.” I cleared my throat and started to read. “Dear God, my name is George Scott Spencer, I am writing today because I need a favor. I wish for you to find my sister Pru and lead her to safety. I wish you would lead these FBI agents to her. My family may not be super religious, but we need your help. Pru is a great girl, she is funny and loving, and even though we fight, I still want her back. Everyone wants her back, and we want her back safely.” A tear fell from my eyes and I looked in the cameras. “If anyone knows anything, please call us.”

SATURDAY 3:18 P.M. PRU
In the closet Pru found a pair of jeans and a t-shirt which fit her nice. Little Hope started to whine, so Pru picked her up and carried her into the kitchen, where the three men sat at the table watching the news.
A familiar face came on.
“Lily?” Pru said as she got closer.
All three of the men turned around and looked at her.
“How was your bath?” John asked.
Pru didn’t look at him, “That’s Lily, my best friend and cousin.”
Brad turned off the TV. “My father asked you a question.”
“It was fine,” Pru didn’t take her eyes off the now black TV.
“Did you find a dress for tomorrow?” John questioned.
“I didn’t look actually.”
“Well, Cole, go help her find one,” John ordered.
Cole got up from the table and led the way. In this mother’s closet they found lots of dresses.
“Why was Lily on TV?” Pru asked.
“She was reading a letter to God that George had written.”
“George, what did it say?”
“I don’t know, we shouldn’t talk about it now.” Cole said pulling out a blue dress. “What about this?”
“Fine…” Pru said not even looking at the dress.
“Pru,” Cole sat on the bed next to her. “”You have to act normal, or I’m sure that something will happen to you” he set the dress next to her, “Try it on.”
Pru sat still for a moment then realized Cole was right. She set Hope on the bed, then slipped into the light blue dress.
Cole came back in, “Here’s Hope’s bottle.”
Pru held Hope and reached for the bottle. “Will you zip me up?” she asked turning around.
Cole ran his fingers down her bare back, and then slowly zipped up the zipper.
Pru turned around slowly, Cole stepped back.
“You look stunning,” he smiled.
“Who cares?” Pru frowned.
“Hey, hey,” Cole touched her face, “You’ll be fine.”
“I don’t want to marry your brother,” Pru said as a tear rolled down her cheek.
“He won’t hurt you. I promise,” Cole wiped away the tear and then hugged Pru gently so he didn’t squish Hope. He kissed the top of Pru’s forehead.
She lifter her head and they kissed again.

SATURDAY 4:02 P.M. LILY
The press conference ended and I went into the basement. This was a time I wished I could play the piano. That was what Pru did when she needed to clear her head. That or sing or write or draw or knit. Pru was so multitalented.
I sat on the piano bench and just hit random notes. I had never really learned any songs, and I could never sing.
“What are you thinking about?” LeAnn asked as she turned off the computer.
“I’m trying to think of something to do to ease my nerve, Pru always had something to do. I never did.”
“Do you wanna play cards or something?
“Actually I think we should play tripoley, your parents and your siblings should play. It would calm us all down for a little bit.”
“Okay, you get the family, I’ll get the pennies and the game,” LeAnn said.

SATURDAY 4:15P.M. PRU
“We really shouldn’t do this,” Cole said as he pulled away from Pru.
Pru turned and place Hope on the bed, “Unzip me please.”
Cole did, and Pru let her dress fall to the floor.
“What are you doing?” Cole asked looking at Pru’s naked body.
“Hoping you’ll help me get dressed again,” Pru turned and smiled.
Cole stepped toward her, he held her bare hips, “I could be killed.”
She wrapped her arms around him and smiled, “That’s the fun,” she said as she kissed his neck.
“Let’s get you dressed before you freeze.” Cole picked up her t-shirt and helped her into it, and then her pants. Pru sat on the bed, picking up Hope. Cole found a dress bag and put the dress in it. “Let’s go.”
Pru followed Cole into the kitchen. There was a fourth chair at the table now. Cole sat in the chair next to his dad. That put Pru in between Brad and Cole.
“Eat up Pru, tomorrow’s a big day,” John said.
On her plate were peas, mashed potatoes, and popcorn chicken. Pru ate her mashed potatoes and then her chicken. She played with her peas because suddenly she wasn’t feeling so hungry.
Hope wiggled in Pru’s lap, so Pru leaned over and set her on the ground. Then Pru went back to eating her peas.
When she was finished John said, “I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to spend the night in the cellar with the kitten.”
“Why? I behaved.”
“It’s a precaution, I’ll walk you down there.” John stood up, followed by Cole and Brad.
“Good night,” Cole said shaking Pru’s hand.
Brad turned Pru around by the waist and kissed her, “Good night honey.”
Pru picked up Hope and John picked up the dress bag.
Pru followed John down into the cellar. He sat on the bed.
“We need to talk,” John said tapping the bed.
Pru sat down and placed Hope on the floor.
“She’s really grown on you, you’ve done a good job.”
“Thanks, I’m a real animal lover.”
“So, I suppose you’re still wondering why I did this?”
“Yeah, I guess,” Pru said.
“Well, my brother is Pat, I’m assuming you’ve already figured that out. Anyway, my brother Pat and I changed our names, we had done wrong. I met my wife and we had two children, one after another. My brother started dating a girl right after I met my wife, a girl name June Anderson, your mother.
“He was a strong Christian like me, but somehow your mother made him break that promise and they slept together. Patrick of course assumed then that they would marry. So one night, not long after that they had sex, then they went to a party and at this party, when Patrick was going to ask June to marry him, she met your father Stan.
“For years Patrick was crushed, and last week he came to me quoting revenge. He had found you somehow and he scoped out your car. I was having doubts about this, and then Patrick called. He had hit an all time low, and while I was on my way to his house he killed himself. That’s how I got into this, so there you have it.”
“So, then, no offense or anything, but why do I have to marry Brad?”
“That was my punishment for your mother’s sins. You were the only pure one between your sisters and you.”
“Okay,” Pru said walking into the bathroom to make a warm bottle for Hope.
“I want you to know I’m sorry that this had to happen.”
Pru said nothing; just stood in the bathroom as she heard John leave the cellar.

SATURDAY 8:17P.M. LILY
“I win!” go said grabbing his pennies.
“It seemed wrong that we’re having fun while Pru was still missing,” Aunt June said.
“She would’ve wanted us to be happy.” I said as I shuffled the deck of cards. “I’m actually going to go outside for some fresh air.” I stood up from my chair and walked outside. I started walking down the street. I needed alone time.
“Pru, if you only knew what we are going through, what I’m going through, I know you’re alive, I know you’re a fighter.”
“Lily,” a distant voice called.
I turned to see Ryan getting out of his squad car. “Hi,” I said softly.
He wasn’t wearing his uniform.
“What us with the casual wear?” I asked.
He smiled and walked towards me, “Yeah, my boss said since I’m on house duty I can keep it casual. He doesn’t think I’m going to need the gun.”
I smiled, “Are you lying?”
“Okay maybe not. I came down to talk to you…so how are you?” he caught up with me.
“I’d be better if Pru was home safe.”
“Yeah, I know, I’m sorry. But I came by to see if you wanted to come out with me for a while, to keep your mind on something else?”
“Let me go tell my aunt and uncle,” I said without hesitating, it sounded like fun. I went into the house and told them I’d be out…but that I’d have my cell phone. “So, where are going so late?” I asked.
“It’s a surprise,” Ryan said opening the door for me.

SATURDAY 8:47 P.M. PRU
Pru lay on her bed with Hope lying next to her, eating a bottle. Pru was tired, but she didn’t want tomorrow to come. But finally she gave in and slept.

SATURDAY 10:04P.M. LILY
Ryan took me to a movie, we laughed, we cried, we left. Then we went to the Excelsior commons and sat on a blanket under the stars, we lay there and talked.
“So Ryan, why did you decide to become a cop?”
“My little sister was kidnapped, raped and murdered when I was 10. I vowed then to held find my sister’s killer. I also wanted to help find girls before they’re killed.”
I got up on my side, “I’m sorry for your loss.”
“Don’t be, I found her killer, and he’s paying for his crime.”
“Good,” I smiled.
“You know what, I almost forgot something,” Ryan got off the blanket and went to his car. He came back with a bottle and two plastic cups.
“Officer, is that wine?” I smiled.
“Yes, it’s kiddy wine…I know you still have six months. I’m a cop remember?”
“Yeah,” I giggled, “Silly me.”
Ryan poured the two glasses and handed one to me, “What should toast to?”
“To Pru’s safe and quick return.”
Ryan and I toasted and drank our fruit juice.
“Lily?” Ryan said as I finished my cup
“Yeah?” I said putting my cup down.
“Do you think that sometime, after Pru comes home safely, that we could go out?”
I smiled at Ryan, “AS long as you wear the uniform, I love a man in uniform.” I laughed.
Ryan turned and gently touched my face, “You’re really beautiful.”
I laughed.
“Why are you laughing?”
“I’m sorry, but that’s the corniest line…but…it works,” I leaned over and kissed him.
After that kiss, he drove me home, and I went to sleep.
SUNDAY 7:45 A.M. PRU
“Wake up, it’s your big day!” John yelled.
Pru woke up to see Hope staring at her.
“Pru, it’s time to get ready, the priest will be here soon.”
Pru sat up, and scooted to the edge of the bed.
“I’m going to send Cole down really soon to help you get ready,” John said placing a tray at the top of the stairs.
Pru got the tray, and then went to her luggage and found some clean underwear and a bra. She changed into those and the dress. She found her makeup and deodorant and carried them into the bathroom.
Pru heard the hatch open.
“Pru, where are you?” Cole yelled.
“Bathroom,” she said putting on her eye shadow.
“I brought you a mirror,” Cole said.
Pru peeked her head out of the bathroom, Cole was petting Hope.
“That’s cute.” Pru laughed.
“I got you a mirror,” Cole said standing up, and carrying the mirror into the bathroom. He propped it up behind the sink.
Pru walked over to the mirror as Cole sat on the toilet. Pru finished putting on her eye shadow.
“Do you need me to zip you up?” Cole asked.
“Nah, I was planning on going without it zipped up,” Pru said sarcastically.
Cole stood up, and gently ran his fingers down her back, and zipper her up. He kissed her neck and turned her around, pulling her in at the hips.
“I don’t want to marry him,” Pru said as she kissed Cole. He started kissing her neck.

SUNDAY 8:57A.M. LILY
I liked Ryan, but I knew that relationships which started in stressful situations never seemed to last long, so I decided it would be better if we waited to try again. He understood.
Aunt June and uncle Stan were starting to unravel. Aunt June had barely slept since the sleeping pill, and even that hadn’t given her much sleep. She always had this strange look in her eyes. They looked almost glazed over, and it seemed to me she was always mumbling.
“Hey, uncle Stan, do you want me to make you something to eat?” I asked.
“Um…I could use a ham and cheese sandwich,” he said looking up from his book.
“DO you want anything else on that?” I asked.
“Oh yeah, Pru usually makes my sandwiches, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard please. Thanks.”
I left the garage and went into the kitchen and I made him two sandwiches. I put one in a plastic baggy and I carried them both outside with a bag of chips.
“Here you go uncle Stan, take a break for a while.”
“I’ll eat and work,” uncle Stan said as he ate his sandwich.
“Why don’t I help you, what can I read?”
“Um…” he looked up, “That book right there.”
“And what am I looking for exactly?”
“A part or problem that causes the car to not shift down correctly into first.”
I nodded and opened the book. I started reading, “Uncle Stan,” I touched his shoulder, “She’s coming home, I can feel it.”
“People keep telling me that, but I’ll only believe it when it happens.”
SUNDAY 9:57A.M.
“Pru, it’s me Brad, I’m coming down.”
Cole quickly sat down on the toilet.
“Brad, you can’t se me before the wedding, it’s bad luck,” Pru quickly finished putting on her make up.
“Are you almost ready?”
“Cole will bring me up when I’m done.”
“Cole, you’re in there?”
Cole got up and went to the door way, “Yeah, dad told me to make sure she looks suitable, so I’m watching her get ready.”
“Okay, I’ll see you both up there,” Brad said and went back up the stairs.
“That was too close,” Cole said picking Hope up off ground.
“How do I look?” Pru asked turning towards Cole.
“You look amazing,” Cole stood in front of her.
“We should make her another bottle before we go up, I’m not leaving her here.” Pru said grabbing Hope’s bottle off the bed, and making her another one.
“Let’s go,” Cole said reaching for Pru’s hand. He led her up the stairs, “We’re coming up.”
“Okay, we’re ready,” John said.
Cole let go of Pru’s hand and took Hope’s bottle.
Pru waited a minute, then slowly walked up the stairs.
When she reached the top John reached out and took Pru’s hand. “Here you go,” he handed her a bunch of flowers.
Pru looked up to see Brad standing next to the priest.
John walked her up to the front, and handed her over to Brad.

© Copyright 2005 Turtle (roscoegoose23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021055-Pru-and-Lily-Part-III