*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021149-Hundreds-Oppose-Government-Announcement
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1021149
This is a news story I covered for one of our local papers. Any input is appreciated.
Over 500 people gathered on the grounds of Memorial Park on Sept. 30th to publicly oppose the provincial government’s decision to spend $40 million on renovations to the Manitoba Developmental Centre. The facility, located in Portage la Prairie, houses 402 developmentally disabled adults.

The rally, spear-headed by Community Living Manitoba, was part of a two-day forum advocating institutional closure.

“The government continues to promote myths about the need for institutions,” said CLM executive director Dale Kendel. “This decision was not based on any scientific research.”

Dr. James Conroy is president of the Center for Outcome Analysis in Pennsylvania. Since 1985, he has closely observed more than 7,000 institutionalized people, before and after their transition to the community.

“Based on my extensive research, I conclude that people who leave institutions are better off in every possible way I know how to measure,” Dr. Conway explained in an interview.

Kendel said he was upset by contradictory statements made by Family Services and Housing Minister Christine Melnick. He claimed she told the CLM annual meeting that no additional contributions would be made to MDC. However, less than a month later, she announced the $40 million funding.

A formal plan for inclusion, entitled "Full Citizenship: A Manitoba Provincial Strategy on Disability," was developed by the NDP in 2000. Kendel felt the announced funding contradicted this policy, so he submitted an alternate proposal to Melnick.

The minister upheld her decision, claiming it did not violate the "Full Citizenship" objectives.

“Although I remain committed to accelerating the pace of transitioning MDC residents to the community, I have an obligation to ensure a safe environment and adequate developmental supports for the comparatively small number of individuals who will continue to reside at MDC,” she said.

“The redevelopment initiative is meant to ensure that this declining resident population can enjoy an improved quality of life.”

With no new admissions, an aging population, and approximately seven transitions per year, the numbers at MDC have been declining regularly throughout the past decade.

Suspicions concerning the distribution of the large sum of money abound.

“This was a politically uninformed decision,” said Liberal leader Jon Gerard. “The announcement was made at the same time consultations were being made about closing the jail in Portage. I suspect it was a political trade off.”

Mavis Taillieu, Tory family services and housing critic, expressed further doubts.

“I’m wondering why all this money is being put into this building if the numbers continue to decline. Does this government have a hidden agenda for its future use?” asked Taillieu.

Melnick insisted this decision was made in the best interest of MDC residents. A high percentage of the 402 people who remain have complex needs. Many have dual diagnosis or aggressive behaviours and require 24 hour support. As well, the majority of residents have lived there most of their lives. This is their home and the safest place for them, she said.

But Cam Doré, director of the Home Society of B.C., disagreed.

“On the contrary, it’s isolation in institutions that leads to aggressive behaviours. There is a close connection between fear and anger,” he said.

“People live in fear of being isolated or having their privileges revoked. It’s no wonder they act out. Within community, people and learn to feel safe and valued when they re surrounded by love and support.”

“It’s an absolute myth that the most challenging people can’t be serviced in the community,” he continued. “These people have twins. People just like them are already in the community and having their needs met.”

Doré said the freedom to make choices and grow in relationships only occurs outside an institution, and that successful integration is the result of extensive preparation and thorough planning for each individual.

Manitoba is the only province increasing funding to institutions.

“The Doer government must change its mind on this issue. The province is falling way behind,” said Opposition leader Stuart Murray.

Shelley Rattai is the national coordinator for People First of Canada. “The fact that this is 2005 and we’re having this conversation is ridiculous,” she said. “We don’t have residential schools or orphanages anymore; yet we’re still locking people up in places of horror. It’s wrong.”

Perhaps the greatest opposition to the announcement came from those who left MDC. David Weremy spent 18 years there. He ran away nine times before being released.

“They finally let me go,” he joked. “It was a bad place to live. If I didn’t do what they said, I was yelled at, beaten, and locked up with nothing on.”

Weremy turned to the legislature and yelled, “Get off your ass and close it down!”

Kevin Johnson, who is an advocate with People First and has been labelled with a mental disability, encouraged the crowd to fight for those who remain institutionalized.

“Get them out of danger and into the community where they can be free.”


© Copyright 2005 vagabondsoul (vagabondsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021149-Hundreds-Oppose-Government-Announcement