*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1023908-CONTROVERSIAL-GROUP-MONITORS-BORDER
Rated: E · Article · News · #1023908
A news story about the Minutemen that I did for a local paper here.
A controversial group of American civilians who monitor the southern border expanded their operations to the north on October 1st.

The Minutemen Civil Defense Corps is a volunteer organization that assists authorities with preventing intruders from crossing the frontier. The group is driven by the American government’s alleged failure to secure the border from illegal immigrants, terrorists, and criminals.

By their own admission, Minutemen have a political agenda. According to co-founder Chris Simcox, traditional methods of influencing congress to change the government’s ridiculous immigration policies are unsuccessful.

“Rallying at federal buildings has proved ineffective, so we’re on the frontlines doing their job,” Simcox said. “The government has failed to protect our borders, so Americans must act.”

The Minutemen acknowledged that publicity received from Lou Dobbs and Fox News was a media campaign to draw attention to their cause.

Operations officially began on April 1st, along a small section of the Arizona/Mexico border. The organization has grown to 4,000 members with active chapters in fourteen states; most recently, the Secure Our Border campaign along the northwestern Canada/USA border.

Tom Williams, a retired marine and former police psychiatrist, is the chapter leader for the Border Watch Operation in Washington. He is also developing branches in other northwestern states.

“So far, things have been quiet,” he admitted.

Applicants submit a $50 fee and undergo security checks. They are interviewed by a Vetter and receive thorough training. Members are split into groups of two and based at static operation posts approximately 30 km apart. All volunteers wear fluorescent armbands to identify themselves, and a list of all participants is submitted to authorities. Equipped with cell phones, a radio, and binoculars, Minutemen monitor the border for suspicious activity. When unusual sightings occur, the U.S. Border Patrol is contacted. According to Minutemen policies, at no time are members to interact with migrants directly. Those who fail to comply are promptly dismissed.

Although the U.S. Border Patrol officially opposes the Minutemen, no attempts are made to stop them; as long as they remain law-abiding citizens.

“My job is to make sure every member abides by the laws of this state,” Williams insisted.

The movement has been immersed in controversy since its conception. Critics claim members are violent, self-appointed militia. U.S. President George W. Bush labeled them “vigilantes.”

Williams is offended.

“Perhaps the President has never taken a Journalism course and doesn’t know what the word means.”

Harjap Grewal, organizer for Vancouver’s No One Is Illegal campaign, said there are documented cases of immigrants being detained by Minutemen armed with assault weapons. They are not held accountable and do as they wish, he said. He claimed the movement violates U.S. patriot laws.

“It is illegal to carry weapons to change political laws through non-political means,” he said.

Approximately 1/3 of volunteers are former military, and the majority carry weapons, but Williams denied the organization is a call to arms. The decision to arm one self is a personal choice. A permit is required, and a copy is forwarded to Border Patrol. Williams said weapons are common along the southern border because of inherent risks of the location but dangers along the northern border are minimal.

“I don’t know anyone who carries a gun,” he claimed. “But this is the largest undefended border in the world, so we must be prepared. Our job is to observe and report. We are a non-violent neighbourhood watch organization.”

Opponents accuse the Minutemen of being racist. Evidence shows members of the National Alliance, a white supremacist organization, have participated in their rallies. Williams insisted these reports are taken out of context and vehemently denies affiliation with hate groups.

The organization’s website states that anyone who discriminates against others is refused membership.

But Grewal said these statements were made after pressure from outside influences.

The racist label irritates Williams.

“That’s the last thing we are. We have people from all nationalities in our organization.”

Grewal said the movement is a violation of human rights.

“The U.S. economy depends on migrants for labour. Many other Americans refuse to do the jobs illegals willingly do,” he said. “The U.S. economy would falter or collapse if immigrants were deported.”

Grewal maintained the root of immigration issues are faulty NAFTA policies.

“The needs of commerce are put ahead of working citizens, who cross the border to find a way to feed their families,” he said.

Grewal accused the Minutemen of fear mongering, racial profiling, and intolerance towards migrants.

“They have constructed their own image of the enemy.”

But Williams disagreed. “We want everyone to go through the proper channels. We just want to protect our borders from infiltrators.”
© Copyright 2005 vagabondsoul (vagabondsoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1023908-CONTROVERSIAL-GROUP-MONITORS-BORDER