*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1023063-That-Bear-knows-My-Name
Rated: E · Monologue · Children's · #1023063
My first attempt in this area.
That Bear knows my name...

Unfortunately, life is full of trade-offs...At this point in my life, I was opting to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, many, many miles from home. I justified it by knowing that I would only do it for a short while and then I would be home for several weeks to spend quality time there, without having to go to work. Now that I have painted the border of the canvas I shall continue with my narrative...

On the day before Halloween, I got laid off. It was 5:30pm and I wanted so much to leave for home, but I was so exhausted, physically and mentally that I chose to get a motel room. After settling in, I called home.

My oldest child was in kindergarten at the time. When I talked to her, she expressed her worries that I wouldn’t make it home for Halloween. I tried to reassure her that I definitely would be there for Halloween. She sounded so disheartened and unsure. I woke up the next morning very early and the first thought I had was of our phone conversation the previous night. It didn’t take very long to get packed and launch myself on my journey home which was several hours away.

Upon arriving at the town that I lived in at the time, I had to pass the elementary school (that my daughter was attending) on my way home. Almost as an after thought I pulled in to the school parking lot and walked up to the office. I asked the secretary if I could see my daughter and let her know I made it home. After telling her my daughters name, she told me they were about to go to the gym for Halloween festivities. I noticed the secretary looking at me kind of strangely, then she asked me if I planned on visiting her for very long. I was somewhat intrigued by this line of questioning and replied, “Yes, I would like to visit her, and let her know I am home...”

The secretary asked me if I would mind being Huggy Bear this morning in the gym, to which I replied “Sure!!!”

After donning this large bear suit, complete with mask, I was stationed at a booth in the gym. The students started flowing in, going to the various booths and exhibits. Many came up to me and asked my name, which I replied “I’m Huggy Bear, could I have a hug?” I only got kicked a few times...Suddenly, I glanced down - as someone was pulling my bear paw. It was my daughter - she gazed up (My bear costume hid my face and eyes) and asked me what my name was. I looked down and looking into her beautiful eyes, I said, “Hi Carolyn, my name is Huggy Bear!”

She ran to her friends at the exhibit nearby and as she pointed to me, she exclaimed “That bear knows my name!” In her eyes I saw the wonderment and awe.

All I can say is, I’m glad I had my bear head mask on as she walked up to me for a hug...
© Copyright 2005 Emilbus™ (emilbus322 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1023063-That-Bear-knows-My-Name