*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1024315-The-Knights-of-Tekka-Part-One
by Getz
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1024315
First in a series of Short Stories.
Set thrice upon stone, the dark cloaked figure stood over the remnants of a civilization long lost. Before him, two stones, lettered in such a way that the language was indeed remarkable, but he had no idea what the text said. He inspected his surroundings taking in the remarkable view that engulfed him. Where was he? Why was he here? What dangers lay before him? These questions pounded his brain.

“I wonder… this world is so different from home.” He thought to himself as he stood amongst the ruins of some advanced culture. He began walking towards the sun as most wanderers do. Not sure where he was headed, or what he may encounter on his journey. He was brought to this place by mistake he figured. He remembered a bright light, shortly after he fell off the roof of his home. He was putting up Christmas lights. He awoke in this strange land, clothed differently, he knew it wasn’t a dream, he could feel the pain from the fall.
As his clothing had changed, so did his belongings and effects; he now carried a sack filled with silver coins it seemed, and a sword strapped to his back. The sword, in fact, was very unique and impressive. Eloquently designed, its hilt perforated with ancient symbolisms and designs, as its blade was covered with engravings of some ominous language, relative to the lettering on the stones.

After hours of walking, the sun was finally beginning to settle onto the horizon. “I suppose I should set camp, probably wouldn’t be a good idea to travel at night. I’ve seen these movies. This sucks.” He said aloud to himself as he looked around for a good spot to settle down. He was in a wide-open plain, a few tree’s pot marked the area. He finally settled under a large oak tree. He broke a few branches off and attempted to start a fire with the dried twigs and grass he found underneath. “Doesn’t seem to have rained recently, the grass is burnt” he thought to himself as he inspected his surroundings.

After seemingly countless attempts, he finally managed to get a fire going. “Damn, if that couldn’t have taken longer, this isn’t nearly as easy as they make it out to be” he grumbled as he fell back onto his rear to take in the heat from the fire. The cold air of the night was starting to fall over the plains surrounding him. “I wonder…what will come of me here. I’m surprised I’m taking this so well. This is totally not normal, wake up in the middle of some open landscape without a clue. What about my girlfriend, my parents, my friends? They must be worried about me.” He thought to himself as he fell onto his side and passed into a fairly restless sleep.

The sun slowly peaked over the horizon, the shadow encompassing the region slowly diminishing as its light began to reveal all that lay in shroud. When the rays of light reached his eyes he immediately woke up. “I knew it wasn’t a dream” he thought as he sat up and stared at the embers left from the fire. He coughed then licked his lips “god I hate dry-mouth. I need to find some water” He stood up then proceeded opposite of the sun, hoping to run across a stream or pond.

As he walked he listened to the chirping of the morning birds and the winds rustle through the tall grass. Suddenly he stopped walking “what is that?” he looked around; he was hearing what sounded like a stream. He started off in the direction he was hearing the sound. Sure enough there it was he ran up to it and scooped his hands into the precious liquid and began drinking. After gulping down his fill he continued on his way, hoping to stumble across a civilization that was populated and not in ruins.

The sun was blazing down from overhead now. It was noon he could tell, his shadow was but a mere outline of himself walking. In the distance he could see the outline of mountains. He decided to walk towards them. “So lonely, almost two days travel and still nothing. There has got to be someone around here somewhere.” He said aloud to himself “What am I doing h…” he stopped talking. He stopped and snapped to look behind him. “What was that?” he heard a snapping sound behind him. Like a finger snap. He looked around but didn’t see anything. He shrugged his shoulders and continued walking. “This is amazing” the voice came from behind him. He turned but no one was there. “What is going on here?” he wondered. He started to think he was going crazy. “I’m hearing things now…great” he said aloud to himself. “No you aren’t.” there the voice was again, this time beside him. Yet no one was there.

This proceeded for almost ten minutes. He was finally getting perturbed “Listen, whoever you are. Stop toying with me!” he shouted. “Alright I’m sorry, I was just having a little fun” the voice came from in front of him this time. He stopped walking. “So I’m not imagining things. Are you a spirit?” he asked feeling somewhat foolish for thinking that. “Nope, I’m not a spirit, but good guess.” Suddenly a figure appeared in front of him. He stepped back and starting shaking “Wha…wha…what are you?” he stared at the figure in front of him in disbelief. It looked like some futuristic suit of armor. The figure stood there and chuckled a bit, “I am Gunival Nubens, but you can call me Gray, because it’s easier.” He swallowed and stood up straight, “my name is Ryan Harris”. “I know who you are, I brought you here.” Gray shook his head.
© Copyright 2005 Getz (getz2oo3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1024315-The-Knights-of-Tekka-Part-One