*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1026107-Christmas-Memories
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1026107
Mermories for my childhood church in celebration of it's 100th anniversary.
Christmas Memories
by Terry Burres

Good Morning!! I was wondering if you can remember the Christmas Eve service long long ago where everyone at church was given a wonderful surprise? That was one of the loveliest nights that I can remember. When we walked into Howard Park that night it was like black velvet. But by the time the service was over we walked out into a Winter wonderland!! Snow was falling in huge fluffy flakes. The ground was already covered with a white blanket that looked like of Angel’s Feathers. It wasn’t dark any more. The air seamed to be filled with a brightness that you could almost taste. I remember that we sang carols all the way home.

When we were signing up for Centenial Moments last January I didn’t have to think twice. I know when I wanted to share my memories. I have such wonderful memories of Christmas time at Howard Park. Colored lights that would wink merrily. The soft gleam of the silver on the “table.” The candles flickering, bathing the faces during Christmas Eve services as the light is passed from candle to candle while Silent Night is being sang.

Learning to sing Silent Night in German. Young voices singing, not always in tune, Away In The Manger. I remember O Holy Night weaving it’s spell of wonderment as it drifted from the choir loft only to be echoed back from the congregation. It always moved me to tears - touching my heart.

The tang of oranges and the spice of candy canes mixing together in my mouth. Santa who would take time to talk to ME. I felt that he knew all about me. He even knew what I wanted most on Christmas - a pony. The smell of the pine tree that sat in the Fellowship Hall. That was before the artificial tree.

Friends and family working together preparing and handing out Christmas baskets to make the day special. Presents given to children so that they would have a Christmas that they could remember with smiles. That is, after all, what Jesus would have done.

I would look forward to going caroling every year. Walking through the night - stopping to sing for our special people. They would be so surprised when they opened their doors to find us there. Even in the cars going from one place to another we would sing. Planing which songs we wanted to use at the next home. We would visit at least one nursing home. Some times we could get to a couple of them. The residents were always excited to have young people come sing to them. As we sang we could see them making their way to where we were. When we finished they would clap, and thank us with huge smiles on their faces. We didn’t have to worry about the cold winds that were blowing because those smiles gave us such warm feelings.

These are just a few of my favorite memories at Howard Park. The best memories are of the love that is shared in this church family. That love always fills me so that it spills over to color the whole year. The memories swirl around me each year so that everything seems to glow as brightly as the gleam of the Christmas Eve candles. Thanks to all of you, I know that this year well be as full of memory making moments as past years have been. I can’t wait!!!
© Copyright 2005 Nanapockets (tab2020 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1026107-Christmas-Memories