*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027604-The-Gift
by Cinder
Rated: · Short Story · Emotional · #1027604
A gift comes from a loss.
She had known for months that this day would come, but no matter how much you think you are prepared, you never are when it happens. The stabbing, tear your heart out pain, the deep sadness, the emptyness. It completely turns your world upside down. He suffered a lot those last few months and even though his passing was a relief from the pain of seeing him suffer day after day, the magnitude of the loss was unexpected. You go through all the motions. The funeral home, making arrangements, picking out the clothes, flowers and planning the service. It was with uneasiness that she told the funeral director of his wishes for cremation. This had been his decision and although she did not agree with it, she had to carry out his final wishes. She didn't know how she was going to cope with this. It just didn't seem right. According to her beliefs, there was supposed to be a service, then the trip to the graveside for a few more words and a final goodbye. Cremation changes that and she wasn't sure that she could follow through on this. The time came and the service was nice, so many friends and family. He had been well known and liked by all. With the service over, everyone made their way to their cars. She was shown to the family car. All waited for the hearse to pull out first, then the family car would follow. This was the moment she had dreaded so much. How could she watch as the vehicle ahead of her took his body to the crematory.
God knew the extent of her pain and as they were following behind the hearse, suddenly a fog enveloped the hearse and she could no longer see it. It was unbeliveable, this was a clear day, not a cloud in the sky. There was no explaination for the fog. It only surrounded the hearse, it was nowhere else. The fog continued until the family car turned off to take her home. All who were following saw the fog, but no one understood it and they didn't want to talk about it. Although no one could explain it, she knew in her heart exactly what it was. This was his last gift to her. The fog prevented her watching the final departure to the crematory. He was looking out for her in his death as he had in life.
© Copyright 2005 Cinder (cinder951 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027604-The-Gift