*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035802-Peaceful-Streams
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1035802
Story of a young girl and her methods of dealing with life's hardships.
*Bigsmile* FEATURED in the FANTASY Newsletter DTD: 22 November 2005! *Bigsmile*


Peaceful Streams


         Jenna sat at the edge of the dock dangling her legs over the water. Her straw colored hair fell loose around her face as she stared between her feet at the numerous jellyfish bobbing lazily near the warm surface. If only her life could be simple like the jellyfish and she could drift away from her cares into an ocean of peace. At least she relished the summer days when she visited her mother on the coast of Virginia and her mind drifted as she sat soaking in the hot summer sun and the moist air hung heavy with the scent and feel of sea salt.

         In less than a week Jenna would board a plane to fly back north and start the new school year living with her dad, that is, if bouncing around from babysitter to babysitter can be called living. After the divorce her father was awarded custody but his job required extensive traveling and Jenna spent most of the past couple of years living with her extended family. Accustomed to being an only child, she didn’t quite have the social skills to be tossed in with her four cousins; her aunt never took too kindly to it either. The last thing that lady ever wanted was her niece to come in and pull even a tiny bit of attention away from her own precious babies.

         These thoughts and more rebounded endlessly in Jenna’s brain as she sat and pondered the simple life of a jellyfish. No jellyfish has ever been forced to choose between Mom and Dad. No jellyfish ever cared if it didn’t fit in at school; if it was longer or shorter, fatter or thinner. The entire life of a jellyfish consisted of drifting aimlessly through the salty water; rising to the surface when the sun is bright and warm and sinking to the shadowy depths on the cooler, rainy days. Lost in her ranting daydream Jenna didn’t hear the footsteps wandering down the length of the dock.

         “Hey sweetie, whatcha’ doing?” Jenna’s mom inquired as she took a seat next to her.

         Jenna eased herself back to reality and looked up at her mom, “Nothing, just watching the jellyfish.” She paused then added rather matter-of-factly, “I like jellyfish.”

         Her mother smiled and her eyes softened as she looked at her little girl. Gently she coaxed, “As I was walking down here it looked like you had something on your mind. Is everything all right?”

         Jenna leaned over and hugged her mom. “I don’t want to go home. I want to stay here with you,” she confessed.

         “I know, sweetheart. I know, but you have to tell Daddy,” her mom comforted as she hugged her daughter, “Why don’t you come in for dinner and we’ll talk about this later?”

         Jenna agreed and followed her mom up to the house. She knew that telling Dad was no use. She had tried that and his response was always the same. “When you’re old enough and the state allows you to choose for yourself who to live with then you can move with your Mom if that is still what you want,” he would always say. Jenna sighed. According to the state she had to be fifteen before she could choose who to live with and that was still more than seven years away.

         After dinner Jenna curled up in the recliner with a book. Since before she could read, books were her passion. Now, though still in grade school, she gobbled up books by authors like Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Danielle Steel as if they were candy. Reading enabled her to visit other worlds where dreams, sometimes nightmares, came true. She could escape to worlds that were safer and happier than her own, or worlds that made her realize how fortunate she really was to have those who love and care for her.

         As she lay nestled in the cushy chair it wasn’t long before dinner took its toll and regardless of the book she was reading, her eyes grew heavy. She pushed herself a few more pages before finally succumbing to sleep. No sooner had Jenna fallen asleep than she began to dream.

         She was standing in an open field by a bubbling stream. The grass was lush and green after the spring rains and felt soft under her bare feet. For a moment she watched crystal clear water ripple swiftly over its smooth stony bed. A short distance from where she stood she noticed a small footbridge crossing the stream. As she started toward the bridge a voice whispered in her mind that seemed to flow across the gentle breeze.

         “Jenna, this is a place of happiness where you can feel safe from the troubles of the world,” the sweet, angelic voice hummed, “But before you may enter you must let go of all your worries and fears. There is no negative thought allowed herein.”

         The voice was soothing and she was not afraid. The warm breeze wrapped around her and comforted her like the soft wings of an angel. Her only fear was that she may not enter such a beautiful place. Her worries and fears weighed on her so heavily that she could not imagine ever letting them go as the voice instructed.

         Understanding of her fear the voice whispered, “Jenna, pluck a single blade of grass for each of your worries. Then take each blade in your hand and walk to the center of the bridge. Detail each fear in your mind and assign it to a blade of grass. As you do so, toss each blade into the stream and watch it trickle away. Feel the weight of your fears lift and flow out of sight with the grass and drown in the force of the water.”

         Jenna did as she was instructed and selected a blade of grass for each of her worries and fears. As she watched the grass rapidly drift away downstream all her cares in the world suddenly disappeared as if by magic. For the first time since her parents’ divorce she felt light hearted and happy. With this new found, carefree, and joyous feeling in her heart Jenna continued to the opposite side of the riverbank.

         What she found took her breath away. It was somehow magically veiled so she couldn’t see anything from the other side of the stream, but now she stood in awe. Directly across from where she had first entered the field was a giant oak tree. Large bared roots made up its foundation that anchored the enormous trunk into the soft earth. The leaves that towered overhead and spread out across the sky cast a wide, cooling shadow around the base of the tree. They were full and lush with the last hints of fair spring green as they changed to the full color of summer.

         Amidst the shadow of the great tree were creatures of all sorts; some that Jenna had seen and others she had only read about in all her wonderful stories. A pair of chubby, jolly looking dwarfs stood off to one side exchanging stories and quips that were obviously very amusing by the way they doubled with laughter and patted each other heartily. A number of fairies darted all around the trunk and up in the branches enjoying a feisty game of tag. Elves sat in the flourishing grass and wove flowers into their hair or napped in the warm summer sun. Sprites played a challenging game of hide-and-seek as they disappeared into the trunk of the tree or transformed into a blade of grass or a wildflower. As she walked closer to the tree she caught sight of field mice darting in and out of burrows while chipmunks and squirrels chased each other around the tree.

         As Jenna approached she was greeted individually by each creature in the tree’s company. All present were happy to see her and glad that she had arrived. In all her life she had never felt so welcomed. She smiled and greeted each in return as she made her way to the trunk of the great tree. She found a spot in the grass where she sat and leaned back against the solid oak. Jenna closed her eyes and rejoiced in the strength and sturdiness of the great tree. She immediately felt safe and protected as her own strength and determination renewed. In this place, with the strength of the great tree, she knew that nothing in any world could hurt her or tear her from her chosen path. She would always have the will to continue.

         When Jenna felt whole and refreshed she opened her eyes. Silently she thanked the great tree and took her leave. She offered many thanks to the creatures of the tree and bid them farewell before she walked back across the footbridge. Her stride was confident and strong. She felt full of renewed hope in life and everything around her. As she walked back across the field to where she first started, the voice whispered into her mind once more.

         “Jenna,” whispered the smooth, honey voice, “Never forget. Whenever you are scared or alone simply quiet your mind and you can find us here anytime you wish. The spirit of this place thrives within all living things - it thrives within you.”


         Jenna opened her eyes and found herself once again in the soft cushy recliner. She stole to her room leaving her book on the nightstand before quietly tip toeing outside. The moon shone bright in the clear sky as she walked barefoot down to the dock. On her way she collected a few blades of grass. In the pale moonlight she stood at the end of the pier and tossed the grass into the water. Silently she watched as the waves pulled her trembling fears further beneath the relentless sea. She will always remember that she can draw strength from the earth and find peace within herself.




Happy Writing! *Smile*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1036224 by Not Available.
© Copyright 2005 Wild Fire (smcaldwell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035802-Peaceful-Streams