*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1049398-A-Bang-Up-Christmas-A-True-Story
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1049398
What do fireworks have to do with Christmas? Harry knew!
A Bang Up Christmas
by Terry Burres


To most people fire works are only important on The Fourth Of July. There are even some who use bottle rockets to usher in the new year on January first. Harry Shelton; however, (being the forward thinker that he was) brought home a rocket just a few days before Christmas.

A rocket that would take Norman and Catherine’s letters straight to Santa Claus. As soon as he showed them this revolutionary delivery system for the most important of mail; Norman and Catherine ran to the kitchen table to start writing their Christmas letters.

Jane Shelton, the mother, insisted that there would be nothing delivered before Supper. There were at least three members of the Shelton that just couldn’t force food past their excitement. As soon as the table was cleared and the dishes done Harry followed by Norman and Catherine carried the Santa rocket out to the back yard.

Both children watched from a distance that Jane determined was safe. Harry slipped the letters into the nose cone and set the rocket up according to the directions on the box. Harry looked at the rocket from all different angles. When he was satisfied with the whole setup he started the count down. When he reach minus four and counting he lit the fuse and raced to where the rest of the family waited.

Everything seemed to be going well. As a chorus of “Blast off” was shouted the rocket started to rise into the air. When the rocket reached the height of about six the rocket made a right turn and headed straight for the house next door. It hit the window and hardly slowed down.

Jane ran to call the fire company. The neighbor who worked nights wasn’t home. Harry broke into the house that was now starting to burn. Norman ran to the door with the water hose. Catherine rushed to turn on the water. By the time the fire trucks arrived the fire was almost out.

The neighbor hard been called home from work. The next few hours were spent cleaning the worst of the damage. From that day on all letters were sent to Santa by the US Mail.


© Copyright 2005 Nanapockets (tab2020 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1049398-A-Bang-Up-Christmas-A-True-Story