*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1049444-Dead-end-Section-3
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1049444
Part 3 of my story, Dead end. Now it starts to get REAL interesting. Check it out please!
         That’s it; I’m dead, aren’t I? Either the fall killed me, or I hit a rock, or I drowned afterwards. But… Being dead isn’t supposed to hurt this much. I groaned and opened my eyes. Sunlight blinded me for a moment, white searing my eyes. When my vision returned, I saw that once again it was day. About noon-ish, I might add. That stupid waterfall must have knocked me out for a long time. Who am I to be complaining? I’M ALIVE!!! Um… again. Ugh… The stress had to be getting to me. I tried to stand, only to realize that I was still in the water… Water that was moving a whole lot slower! I looked downstream and saw a large beach on one bank. I started slowly swimming to that side, my sore and bruised muscles protesting every stroke, but finally I reached it and dragged myself well above the water.
         I laid there for a moment, then started to laugh. I was ALIVE! I quickly regained my composure and stood up. That’s when I noticed that my school bag was still firmly around my shoulders. I bent down and took a quick look.
         Let’s see… Books: trash. Notebooks: Trash. Cell phone: Hey! My cell phone might still work! I quickly hit the power button, holding my breath in anticipation. The screen stayed blank. Of course, that would be too easy, wouldn’t it? I sighed and tucked the phone back in its pocket: my parents would kill me if I lost it. Okay then. Goal 1- Live. Goal 2- Find a payphone. With my list in mind I walked up the beach to find that it ended directly into a road. Handy.
         The street was eerie and deserted. Cars were strewn across the road and parked on the side. A couple were lined up at the now dark streetlight, waiting for a green light that would never come. Buildings had cracks in them and broken glass and rubble cluttered the sidewalks. I thought of calling out to see if there was anyone around, but quickly decided not to; it just didn’t seem like a smart idea, seeing as last time I did that I was attacked.
         I had barely gone a block when I saw something that made my heart swell. A bank of payphones sat just outside of what looked like a family owned grocery store! I ran over and picked up the receiver. Dead. That word chilled me as I set it back down as quietly as I could and tried the next. Dead. And the next. Dead. They were all dead!
         “The lines must be down…” I rationalized. If this quake had hit the whole city, I doubt that getting phones up and running were their first priorities. Fine then, I’ll just need to find someone with a cell phone that isn’t waterlogged! I was about to set out again when something sidetracked me.
         My stomach rumbled. I just remembered that I hadn’t eaten since breakfast before we went to the museum, and according to that Demon, that had been almost two days ago! Well… I was standing in front of a grocery store…
         “Um… Hello?” I asked as I gently pushed the door open. Chimes on the top of the door jangled as the door opened entirely, letting me inside. The cold of the air conditioning hit me like a cold, wet slap. My clothes were still soaked and I started to shiver. I let the door close on its own behind me, the chimes still jingling. They were deafening in the silence that filled the rest of the world like a fog. I took a few steps in, past the registers.
         “Hello?” I called out again, “Is anybody here?” I looked around. It was a convenience store, not a grocery store, so I wouldn’t find much to take, but what I needed right then was some food. I walked down one of the few isles, almost slipping on my dripping sneakers. Mugs, instant noodles, newspapers… Nothing I felt like eating. I was at the back when I saw the back wall was almost entirely one big freezer. I passed soft drinks, milk, water, then… Sandwiches and salads! I threw the door open and grabbed a simple turkey sub and started chowing down. I didn’t even really taste it as it went down, but it filled the aching void in my stomach. I quickly opened another door and whipped out a bottle of water and downed half of it in one gulp, then grabbed another sandwich.
         I started eating it, slower than before, as I walked around the store. There wasn’t a whole lot of stuff to take with me. There was a soup counter, but when I looked inside the kettles I found that all the soup had boiled away, leaving a disgusting crust around the inside, reddish and foul.
         After making some room in my backpack by throwing away all the useless junk in it, I looked around for some supplies. I grabbed a few bottles of water and some non-perishables. Chips, some cookies, and the like. The store didn’t have much in the way of non-perishable supplies. Most of the things I could carry had either gone bad or wouldn’t last long once I took them out of the freezers. Hopefully I would find someone before long and I wouldn’t even need anything I had taken. I took a few seconds to look behind the counter and in the back rooms, just in case someone was there. There wasn’t.
         I pulled the front door open and stepped back into the hotter day, my wet clothes dampening the shock. Luckily they had already started to dry. I groaned and looked for some way to find out where I was. Nothing. Well, if I walk around enough then I’m sure to find somebody… I just hope it’s not another girl with cat ears who wants to beat my head in! I pointed myself down a road and started trudging off in that direction.
         The hot sun beat down on me as I walked on, my eyes steadily scanning the streets for signs of movement, Human or otherwise. Nothing living was out on the streets, but to my relief, nothing dead was either. It sent chills up and down my spine like little ice cubes being rubbed up and down my back; the road was simply deserted. It was almost like they had just vanished on the spot, the only trace of their existence were the things they left behind. A dropped purse here or there, a toddler’s toy lying on a corner.
         I shuddered as I walked by a stroller, tipped so it lay on its side. I resisted the urge to call out for someone in fear that whoever might find me would try to kill me. My heart was starting to speed up and my breaths were starting to catch in my lungs, fear starting to tug at the edges of my mind. Everything was so… empty, so still. It was really starting to bug me.
         There was a burst of sound and movement behind me, and I quickly spun to face it. There was nothing there. My shoulders tensed and my stomach tingled as I scanned the deserted pavement. Nothing. I slowly turned and continued walking.
         “H-hey!” I heard a woman shout, and saw her run out of a side street ahead of me. She had curly blond/brown hair that went down to her waist. She had red lipstick on and mascara as well, but not much else in the way of make-up. She had a black leather jacket draped over her shoulders and a red shirt on under that. Her pants and shoes were also black. “Are you okay?”
         “Yeah, I am.” I said, relived that she hadn’t brandished some kind of pointy object of death at me yet.
         “Great!” She said, looking me over once. “I need help, some people got attacked nearby and they’re hurt!”
         “I-I can’t fight or anything!”
         “The Demon’s gone. Can you put a bandage on?”
         “Uh, yeah, I guess.”
         “Great!” She grabbed my arm and dragged me a few yards before my legs started to move correctly to move me along behind her.
         “How far away are they?” I jogged to keep up.
         “Not far.” She said, a determined look on her face. “Hurry up!” She led me confidently through the streets, past more and more devastation. Destroyed cars, damaged buildings. A sense of unease gripped me. This didn’t feel right. I had to help though, didn’t I?
         “What happened?”
         “I don’t know. I guess some Demon found them and… it’s horrible. Here!” She cried, pointing to a space between two walls. I jogged over to find myself in an enclosed grassy lot. No hurt people or Demons or anything unusual in sight.
         “What…?”
         “Great job Baby.” I heard an arrogant male voice say behind me. I turned only to have a hand shove my shoulder, sending me stumbling back. “Hey there little boy.” It continued before I could look up and focus my eyes. “Where ya goin’?” A man with dark hair and a muscular build stood before me. He wore torn jeans and a leather jacket like the woman’s over a white T-shirt. His eyes were dark and foreboding, gleaming with evil intent.
         Behind and beside the man were others dressed similar to him. Most had piercings in multiple places in their bodies. Some had hair dyed (I hoped) various colors. All of them were in their twenties or early thirties and had backpacks on their backs. The man who had shoved me and three others wore-
         “Armor?” They had what looked like plate mail armor covering their bodies. Where would they get that? Why were they wearing it?
         “Surprised?” The lead man said again, “We just managed to ‘salvage’ this from a shop or two. Now, give me the backpack.” I couldn’t. Without the food, water and other supplies I managed to find, I probably wouldn’t get out of here alive. If they were mugging me for my food, it probably meant there wasn’t much left.
         “No.” I said, trying to keep the wavering out of my voice. “I won’t.” The group as a whole laughed.
         “Kid, if you wanna keep living, you’re gonna give me the sack.” The lead man stated plainly. He had a switchblade out, clean and gleaming with menace in the sun. He had what looked like a sword in his belt, hanging down so it reached behind him. The rest of the group had similar weapon; clubs and knives. But no guns… Why did they have all this weaponry but no guns?
         “No!” I said, backing up slightly.
         “I didn’t want to have to kill another one today, but you’re not giving me a choice. Bye bye!” He lunged at me, his group forming a semicircle, blocking me from the way out. I hopped out of the way, the knife blow going wide. He swung his hand around, smacking me in the face. Fireworks exploded in my skull as I fell to the ground. Another immediately was on me. A baseball bat cracked into my left arm. I rolled back to the center of the “Arena.” I struggled to my feet, my arm burning with invisible fire.
         I jumped back as he dove at me again, only to be gripped from behind by a pair of arms that were far too strong for me to have any chance to overpower. A woman, ginning wickedly, walked in front of me and dug her fist into my stomach. The man holding me twisted my arms and she continued to punch and slap me. The grip finally loosened and I fell to the ground, where feet dug viciously into my stomach, back and head. I curled into a ball, silently begging for the onslaught of pain to end.
         They finally stopped, and I laid on the ground, panting. I was aware that I was bleeding from my forehead and that I was bruised all over.
         “Get up.” The leader commanded. I struggled to my feet and someone shoved me back towards the center again.
         He came back at me with the knife lazily. They were playing with me, making the last moments of my life into a spectacle for their perverse enjoyment. He made as if to slash me, and I moved out of the way. It turned out to be a feint. His foot caught me full in the chest, and I slammed into the wall.
         My vision blurred, my head and chest aching. I coughed up red. I struggled to my feet, but then sank to my knees. My head was leaning forward. Black boots entered my field of vision.
         “Give up kid?” I slowly, painfully raised my head, looking him dead in the eyes. He was smirking at me, looking down at me like I was a dog.
         “Come on Red!” A girl yelled, she had a thick New York accent. “Just take the bag and let’s go.”
         “No.” I said quietly.
         “What?”
         “No!” I said, a little louder.
         “This punk is gonna die!” “Red” Shouted.
         “Red, just leave him alone!” The same woman yelled.
         “This punk doesn’t know his superiors when he sees them. I’m gonna have a little fun with him.” He started toying with his knife, cleaning under his nails. With a sudden burst of speed his foot shot out to meet my chin. My head snapped back, a trickle of blood falling from my nose. I started to breathe heavier. He put away the knife and drew his sword.
         “Give up?” I didn’t move. He drove the blade into my leg. Blood welled up, soaking my pants as red hot agony shot through my entire being. I yelled. He grinned, then twisted the sword.
         My scream echoed off the walls, but no-one could hear me. He said something, but I couldn’t hear it, my senses beginning to shut down from the pain. To think, after all this. The Demon, the Earthquake, the river, the waterfall, I was gonna die here, to these people.
         NO! I WON’T DIE THIS WAY!!! I REFUSE TO!!! Something deep inside of me snapped. I chuckled, and the guy looked back down at me, a strange expression on his face.
         “Is that all you got?” I whispered, and I was dimly aware that there was a slight smirk on my face. He yelled something, and pulled the blade back. The girl said something. Time seemed to freeze, and then the blade was thrust through my throat.
***
         Ryu’s eyes went wide and blank. A trickle of blood curled from his mouth. He was pinned to the wall, still in an upright position.
         “RED!” The woman yelled again.
         “This punk,” Red spat the word. “Didn’t know how to accept generosity. I just needed to teach him to respect his betters.” He still held the sword, plunged deeply through Ryu’s throat and into the wall beyond.
         “You said we weren’t gonna kill anybody!”
         “Well, I felt like it.” She walked up to him.
         “You felt like it?”
         “Listen baby,” He grabbed her face with his left hand, his right still on the sword, “This is a whole new world now! No cops, or nothin’ is gonna stop me. You gotta be strong to survive. Do you get me Jane?” She glared at him, then slapped his hand away. He grabbed her arm, staring intently into her eyes.
         “You did not wanna go and do that, did ya’ babe?” He said, low and dangerous. “You did not wanna do that!” He yelled. He saw that she was looking past him, at the wall.
         “Look at me when I’m talkin’ to you!” He yelled in anger, yanking her face back to face his.
         “But… but…”
         “Spit it out!”
         “Look at the kid!”
         “Yeah, he’s dead! So wh-” He stopped mid-word. The kid twitched. “What the hell?” Red whispered. Ryu’s hand twitched again. It slowly rose from his side, where it had fallen, limp. His eyes were still wide with shock. His hand rose slowly to the sword. He gripped it tightly. His head lowered, looking at the shining steel.
         He pulled, the blade slid from its fleshy sheath. He was still looking at the bloody blade, as if studying it. His head suddenly snapped up, glaring pure hatred at Red. It seemed that he would combust on the spot from the force of it.
         “Holy-” Red choked as he stumbled back under something other than the force of his eyes. Ryu’s irises were a deep, feral crimson. He suddenly screamed, grabbing his head in his hands. He was enveloped in flames, the entire group started to retreat under the heat.
         “Oh my God!” Jane yelled. Ryu no longer stood there, but something completely different.
         His feet were red, covered in large, thick, dull scales. He only had two toes on each foot, long and ending in sharp black claws. The scales continued upwards to his knees. There a spike stuck out, ending in a sharp, lethal point. His pants were ripped, only covering from the spikes up to his waist.
         His shirt was gone; not ripped or off, but just gone. The skin on his arms and body was slightly darker than before, but still flesh.
At his elbows the scales started again. Another spike rose from each of his elbows, like his knees. More scales covered his forearms and hands. His fingers were slightly longer and ended in long black claws.
         His neck had a collar of red scales as well. His bared teeth were white fangs. His hair had turned white and grew, a few locks falling in front of his eyes. It was spread messily from his scalp. A small black horn about two inches long curled from each side of his head, contrasting with the hair it poked out from.
He was kneeling on one leg, but quickly rose to his feet. He was about the same height, maybe a few inches taller.
         “How did he… What did he…?” Red gibbered.
         “He’s a Demon, you idiot!” Jane shouted back. “Why isn’t he dead? Not even demons can take that kind of punishment!”
         “I don’t care!” Red screamed, on the edge of hysteria, “Kill ‘em!” The rest of the gang ran forwards...
***
         I growled softly. Every fiber in my body craving bloodshed. To maim, to kill, to make them pay. Rage pulsed through my veins, my blood boiling. One human ran at me, eager for glory. He raised his club up. Wrong move! I rushed up, one hand raised. I sliced him from waist to the bottom of his neck. He fell, and the sweet and heavy scent of blood entered my nose.
         The rest faltered, then another one came for me. I spun around and kicked him across the chest, leaving deep bloodied gashes as he slid to the ground as well. I didn’t wait for the next one. One swipe across his throat and he too fell.
         Two more charged at me from behind, I could feel them, smell them coming. A spiked elbow to the side of the head felled the first one, then I grabbed the second one by the neck. My claws dug into it, drawing small amounts of blood, which dripped down my hand. He was struggling, trying to free himself. I could smell his fear, and I enjoyed it. I could see the fear in the last four humans as well. I held him aloft in my right hand, as easily as if he were a rag doll. I slammed him into the ground, and he didn’t move.
         Another, with metal covering his body, clanked after me. I rushed up and grabbed his shoulders. I raised my knee and brought it up. It went straight through his armor, and shortly following, his chest, a geyser of red gushing from the wound. He twitched, gasping for breath. I let him slide off limply.
         The last guy, besides the leader and his woman, was wearing armor. He came forwards confidently, believing his feeble metal would protect him. I dashed to one side, coming across him, slicing his “armor” like tinfoil.
***
         Red watched helplessly as his flunkeys fell one by one. The creature stopped and glared at him again. It raised one hand to its face and licked some of the life-giving fluid off its claws. Red fell back again, but it rushed forward with inhuman speed, growling furiously. It was on him in a moment. A hard fist slammed into his face, sending him sprawling.
         Jane screamed and ran away, not looking back. The monster turned his gaze back to Red. Red was held captive by the sheer hatred and malice coming from its eyes. It walked up to him, and Red scrambled to his feet. He swung one arm at the creature. One scaled hand caught it. It seemed to be laughing at him with its eyes.
         “I’ll show you!” He screamed. He drew his blade with his free hand and swung it. It was intercepted by a red forearm. The cheap blade, never meant to see actual combat, instantly shattered upon impact. His arm screamed in pain suddenly. He saw fangs buried in his arm, for as he swung the blade, the creature bit him. They released and withdrew, but another fist smashed into his face, sending him reeling back, but his arm was still being held.
         He felt his feet leave the ground as he was spun around. He screamed again as he was released, and smashed into a wall, crumpling to the ground. The last thing he ever saw, as his vision dimmed, was a claw reaching for his throat.
***
Stupid humans. Oh well, that was a good warm-up. Their screams still rung in my ears and the scent of blood and death hung in the air. What… what am I saying? I held my head in my hands and stumbled back. White, billowing steam filled the air around me. I took my hands from my head and looked at them. They were normal again.
“What happened? What was that?” I was suddenly overcome by incredible fatigue, and I fell to my knees.
“Was that… me?” I fell to the ground, and blackness enveloped me.
© Copyright 2005 Nessmk2 (nessmk2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1049444-Dead-end-Section-3