*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1050734-Quiet
by Ash
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1050734
An unwanted camping trip took him into a realization of his peers.
         He stood there just staring and not worrying about his own safety. He saw it happen and all he did was stare. Then a yell came from the distance. It was very faint, but still there. It could have been Nick, but how could he help. Flames were engulfing everything, everywhere, and there was barely room to move. Time must have been running out for them because he saw a tree fall down not to far away. What was he going to do? Run with the others or go back for Nick? He couldn't hear anything anymore. This can't be good he thought- I've got to go."Wait up guys!" He yelled and ran away from the cry for help. He was running towards safety while leaving a friend tangled in flames. No one's going to know about this because the only one around here was him and he knew it; the others might be at the truck by now and he had to hurry.

          "Trey, are you coming or not?" "We've got to go now!" No. You can't leave me.

          "Wait! Wait. Wait for me. You can't leave me. Wait." Trey yelled this, but no hope was to come to him when he saw the tailgate of the truck through the smoke leaving in the other direction. The air was quickly filling with thick smoke and there was nowhere for him to go.

          "Mom, don't worry about me. I'll be fine out there. I've camped there before with dad and it was no big deal then, why is it now. Everyone else is going out of state for there senior trip and all I'll be doing is going camping in the same old spot with some friends."

         "Your dad was with you throughout all of those other times and you were with an adult. Maybe your dad should go with you."
         "Dad's not coming. If I'm responsible enough for my licenses like you said; I don't think there should be any problem. It's only going to be Will Cannon, Bob North, Trey McKnight, and me. You've met them all at the last football game. You let us go hang out after the game and this isn't going to be any different." Mom didn't have a response. She's always to protective, but the right amount of an argument gets the job done.

         I was finally able to get their permission and the guys and me were going this weekend. It was already Friday and we decided to discus our trip during lunch, but before that ever came, I was stuck in English. We were discussing a Charles Dickens novel, Great Expectations and class was never going to end. We only just started reading it and I planned on doing the homework, but around the fifth page, I fell asleep last night. My teacher is about fifty years old, Mr. Atkins, and lectures probably twenty four-seven of his life, but thankfully, I only have to endure it for one class period; which still is to much. We were characterizing the main character Pip, but instead of taking notes, I was planning the trip. We are obviously playing football and swimming in the river, but confidentially, Wills older brother was going to give us a little something to liven things up.

         "Mr. Bell, do you plan on including yourself or are you just going to waste your time sitting there?" Why does he always have to use my last name and there's a kid in a few rows over who never talks to anyone or gets called on. I'm wearing my jersey for the game tonight and that might be the reason for a little extra attention, unwanted attention. What was the guys' name? I think he was in one of my classes last year. He has never talked before. Whatever.

         "I'm not the only one just sitting here, but I'll include myself if I have to. It's not like I have anything better to do."

         "Excuse me, but what other reason would you sign up for my class? Now tell me this, what is the relationship between Pip and his sister?" I answered the question right and thankfully it was in the first couple pages of the book. After that, he didn't call on me again and soon class was over. At lunch we talked about the trip and everything was planned and ready to go. We're going to meet up at my house after the game tonight and it was a sure win. The team we're playing hasn't won a game yet.


         Those dumb jocks never seem to amaze me. They're over there just drinking, yelling, and listing to loud music. If I knew they were coming, I would have just come next weekend, but I really needed to get out of the house this weekend. Mom better have fun with her boyfriend because I'm not planning on camping again. "Bullet come back over here. Stupid dog!" He's going over there by them. Great, just what I need right now; a crummy weekend and a run in with those creeps. Music started to overpower any other noise and the ground was covered in bottles of alcohol. Bullet was madly barking at them and jumping around. I grabbed Bullet by the collar.
         "Hey who are you? Get your dog out of here." He spoke with a slur and I just turned around and left. They all started cracking up. "Dude I think he goes to our school- yeah, in my English class." What a bunch of losers. Stupid dog.
They started a campfire, but not for the purpose of heating themselves. They were screaming "White Mans Fire, " typical.


         Bullet was barking in our tent and woke me up suddenly. A red glow seemed to take over the forest around my tent. I strapped Bullet on the leash and we got out of the tent. He stopped barking and we heard some one talking. It was still dark out, but I could only tell by looking up at the starry night. "Hurry up to the truck!" I heard them running in the other direction.
"Trey, help. I can't get up." I could barely hear this because it was a whisper at most. "Help me!" He was able to yell this towards his friends, but as I waited to see if they would come back, they didn't. I ran over to him and saw that a tree had fallen into another tree, but one end of the tree was resting on Nick's leg; it was all a big tangled mess. The fire had burned up the tree enough that when I went over there I was able to push it off. His leg was pretty bad and he was still intoxicated from earlier. Some of his clothes had caught on fire, but I put it out. I had to take of his shoes because the rubber had started bubbling. He weighed a tone, but I had to drag him to my car and still hold onto Bullet; he couldn't hold his own weight. It was getting really hot and difficult to breathe. We finally got into the car and drove away from the spreading fire. When I was almost clear of it, I heard a fire engine coming along with cop cars. I pulled over and as they passed me, a cop car had pulled over to me. I told him everything that had happened and he went to look for the other guys. An ambulance came in about ten minutes later for Nick, who was slowly coming around, but his leg was still pretty bad. They took him to the hospital and I had to stay to answer questions for the police and then later I drove home. They had trouble controlling the fire and had to evacuate the rest of the campers.

         Everyone starred at us down the hall. It was all over the news and the information of the death had reached the public. Trey hadn't made it to safety, but the rest of us did. After English was over, Nick walked over to me and said thank you. I didn't say or do anything, but stare at him. They all were fined for underage drinking with the exception of trey, later it was determined that their campfire had started the fire, that destroyed half the campsite and one life.
© Copyright 2005 Ash (ashley88oregon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1050734-Quiet