*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1050875-My-Gorillas
Rated: E · Other · Animal · #1050875
These are animals that I spent untold hours of time with.
This will be a series of articles about these amazing animals. When I am through you will know six of them very well.

Gorillas remember people when they have not seen them in a very long time. For about eleven years I was with this group several days a week. There was always glass or a moat between us but three of them and I had differing interactions. The others would let me know they knew I was there but then most of the time would go on about their business.

Their outside area has lots of places for them to hide. They have big bushes, a rocky area they can climb up in with a waterfall and big flat rocks towards the front that are heated for cold weather.

There are glassed in areas where the animals can be no more than an inch and a half from us. The glass keeps everyone safe.

Around the corner there is an area that has a moat between the gorillas and the people. There are benches for us to sit on. This is often where they throw a snack for the gorillas.

When I had been away from them for two and a half years, they remembered me. The oldest female came right up to the glass and put her head right up against mine on the other side. I have a picture of that. I am new here but once I find out if I can put a picture up on an article, I will put it here.

She and I had spent countless hours together at that same spot and also around by the waterfall. I will be sharing all of this with you.
© Copyright 2005 Mary Ann Chidlow (merian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1050875-My-Gorillas