*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1050955-Tell-Him-You-Loved-Me
by BPark
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1050955
A young man's funeral is the last closure he'll have with his soul mate.
You tell him that you loved me.
She looked down into the casket. His black hair against his pallid skin reminded her of exhilarating blue eyes—the eyes that she adored more than anything in the world. She took a deep breath, trying desperately to keep the tears from falling from her eyes. She put her hands on her chest that heaved uncontrollably. Her black, lace dress clinched tightly to her body as her legs began to quiver. People stared, studying her every display of emotion.
“I guess,” the words barely fell from her lips “it’s evident that some things don’t always last forever—I’m referring to the untimely end of you and I.”
“Come on, dear. Don’t do this to yourself—“ an older woman tried to drag her away from the casket, but she pulled herself from the woman’s grasp.
“No! I waited so long to say all that I’ve needed desperately to say—I’m saying it.” She took a step closer to the casket. She stared down into his face, looking at all of his freckles and his thin, pink lips that curled at the edges.
“I wanted so, so badly for us to make it—but nothing can overcome the wrath of time. Our untimely end was too much for me to take, so I turned to our broken memories.” A smile formed on her face, “I became best friends with your answering machine,” her smile faded “you could’ve at least answered your phone. I gave you my word, honey. You could have fallen into these loving arms when life got shabby, but instead you pulled the trigger and for that, I could never, ever forgive you for the pain you’ve placed upon me.”
Sobs and weeping could be heard throughout the large auditorium in the church. The soulless man’s mother yelped with pain.
“I only asked for your time, your love---I asked for you. All those things you said to me, Johnny, were they even true? Were you, for a second, even sincere?” she began to cry louder and her voice got bitter, “You leave me to doubt the value of my worth alone. Did you even care the slightest bit for me? Did you even consider my worth when you left yourself to lie there in cold blood? You meant everything to me, but now it merely means nothing. It’s your entire fault. My failures all come back to you and you can’t do much to change that now. If I wasn’t good enough, you should have left me a long time ago, but now you leave me to suffer.”
She took a silver ring off of her finger and placed it on his chest. She bent down and kissed his cold forehead.
“But I can’t always blame you for the decay of our love. Some bridges were meant to fall. This tragedy is too painful to speak on, but I’m too tired to keep it in. On judgment day, when the great Lord asks you for a reason why you should be allowed past the golden gates, tell him you kept shielded me from the rain on stormy nights, kissed my forehead before I fell asleep and, most importantly, tell him you loved me.”
© Copyright 2005 BPark (srlg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1050955-Tell-Him-You-Loved-Me