*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1052882-Post-Card-Collecting
Rated: E · Other · Hobby/Craft · #1052882
"Armchair Travel" is easy for those who cannot get out and about.
Have you wanted to travel the world but for some reason cannot do it? My favorite way is with my post cards. I have been collecting ever since I was a child and have hundreds of them from all over the world. I have new and antique cards.

Years ago I put them in three albums - one each for Florida, United States, and the rest of the world. I long ago filled those up. I then started putting them in plastic boxes. That was a big mistake. I wish I had kept them up. I now have a mess but am making headway very slowly. One day I will have them all sorted.

Some of my favorites are the ones with state maps or state capitals on them. For some states I have both the old and the new capital buildings. I also like state maps printed on the cards. They can be so colorful. Sometimes, you can get a card with both and other fun information about the state on them.

Another favorite are the museums of the world. I may not be able to get there but I can have my own museums with post cards of pictures or objects from the museum on them.

Scenic cards can be so pretty. I have so many of mountains, rivers, waterfalls and on it goes.

I have one when they were carving Mount Rushmore and then one of it finished. Of course, they get displayed together.

I have a whole collection of cards from overseas. I have them from many places I visited in Japan. Friends have sent them from many other places as they toured the world.

Some that I will not part with are of the airliners from fifty or so years ago. And, then there is Elsie the cow. She used to have a display at the Florida State Fair when I was a child. It was a real cow and her display looked like the inside of a house. I have several of that.

Most of them are still loose in boxes but I just keep working on then. One day I might have them all caught up. I hope not. My son will often bring me a big box of them that he has come across some where. I know he has found them in places like Goodwill and Salvation Army. He keeps an eye out for me and I do not discourage him.

I hope I have given you some ideas even if you have just a few. When they are mounted they are so much easier to enjoy.
© Copyright 2006 Mary Ann Chidlow (merian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1052882-Post-Card-Collecting