*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1059892-Mithril
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1059892
Tell me what you think so far! Should I countinue with it or trash it?
Gather around and I will tell you a story of a brave young man. His quest was not for gold or jewels, his quest was not to face dragons in battle, his quest was not to find and rescue a distressed maiden, but to find water. Why water you ask? Listen and I will tell you!

In a time long forgotten, a young archer traveled to the sacred and forbidden lands of the celestial goddess, Amena. Legend holds tale of the waterfall in the forbidden forest of Marigold. On the night of the full moon, the goddess descends from the heavens to bathe herself in the falls, thereby blessing the water and giving it abnormal powers. It was often said that whoever drank of the waters would have their greatest desire fulfilled. But those who dared look upon the body of the goddess would turn to stone.

There were also several warnings as well. For a land to hold such pure waters there were treacherous beasts which lived within the confines of the forest. Other legends spoke of the souls of the dead and tormented residing there, and whenever a human entered the forest, those struggling to get out would possess their body. Even the bravest, stongest, warriors fell victim to this horrid place.

But alas, legends were merely legends to the people of this era. Stories such as these held no truth to the serious and strait-forward people of the time. However, in some lands, folklore was as good as gold, since little hope was to be found among these people.

In the land of Mercia, stricken by poverty and famine, the people were overtaken by a cruel monarch: Lord Elidon. He was a former warrior who had an overwhelming lust for power, which was only outdone by his greed. In hopes of restoring the land to its former glory and splendor, Kirin, son of the rightful king, was sent on a quest for the sacred waters.

Despite all the doubt and slander Kirin of Mercia would not give up, or listen to the criticism. He didn’t care if he risked his life, as long as he was able to save his family. Truly his mission was for a noble reason, but would it be enough to survive? Would the goddess frown upon him and deny him of his greatest desire?

He arrived at the opening of the great forest, gulping slightly as his heart began to pound. 'This is it. I’ve come a long way. If I fail, will all my hard work be in vain?' He slowly took in a deep breath and stepped forth into the forest. He noticed immediately how dark it was, for the tightly woven tree branches above blocked out the light of day. The plants were incredible, enormous and monstrous. Carnivorous varities down to even the smallest, most lovely buttercups. There were even plants he had never seen before!

From the corner of his eye, Kirin caught a shadow that seemed to rush past him. As if a by reflex, he quickly readied his bow, arrow drawn back. He focused in on the darting shadow, curious as to how the creature could move so quickly through the endless greenery. Suddenly, all was quiet, unusually quiet. Then, from just behind, he could feel the foul and strange beasts steaming breath down his neck, and his saliva oozing from his devastating jaws. 'Oh, No!'

© Copyright 2006 Virtuoso (starry_night at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1059892-Mithril