*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063783-The-Mission---Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #1063783
To save what's left of Earth, they will have to face their darkest secrets...
Chapter 2: Following in their footsteps

Scott's P.O.V.

"Just listen to this and then tell me what you think about going on this mission, okay?" Stacy told us.

We nodded.

"I found this in Dad's diary. Listen." and she started reading from a burgundy leather book:

"Sam Derkone has found interesting information after examining the Quinanee body we found on our way to the water wells. From his research, we learned that the Quinanee body cells give off a field. Something like a… magnetic field or so… I couldn't really understand properly... Anyway, he told us that carbon dioxide molecules also radiate the same field if they are found in large densities or concentrations. The field from the body cell and the one from the concentrated carbon dioxide repel with such a strong force that it could disintegrate a Quinanee's body. Sam says it's something like repelling magnets. Consider the fields from the cell and from CO2 as magnetic fields coming from two identical poles.

I have always been a fond collector of ancient human equipment. And once, I had come across what the elders described to me as a plant preserving chemical spray. I had some tests done on this whitish chemical and found that it was liquefied carbon dioxide. So, I asked Sam if it had the same effect on the Quinanees as the concentrated gas form. I was pleased to be informed that it did. The Quinanees will be unbelievably vulnerable in front of this newfound weapon...

We had to explore various areas and ask many humans until we were informed where we could find a pile of tanks containing this liquid. Unfortunately, it is dangerously close to the nearby empire, Toklanaka. Ironically the Quinanees don't even know of this nearby fatal danger…

We had to take the chance... We couldn't tell many others of our plan as we were afraid it would be forced out of them by brutal and torturous means… It was simply too risky. So, Andrew Hunter, Sam and I agreed to set out tomorrow with the needed tools and weapons to try to destroy this powerful empire. It has truly been a long time since man-kind has been enlightened with any victory. Only a few hours ago did Sam and I inform our wives about our discoveries and plans. They, almost instantly, opted to accompany us. I am not sure I want my dear Rose to get involved in this. But there is very little I can do to change her mind now… The children have still not been informed of anything. And we think that it is for the best; as we have agreed to keep them out of this entirely.

We plan to set out tomorrow at sunrise on our stallions. That way we will be able to reach the outskirts of Toklanaka shortly after sunset. We will then proceed by foot to the location of the tanks. And will probably reach there before midnight."

Stacy was silent for a while then raised a head with watery eyes. "And there's a map attached" she choked a whisper.A single silent tear slid down her cheek. She looked away and wiped it violently with her sleeve.

I don't know for how long we sat there. Just staring at each other. Lost in our thoughts. Picturing what could have gone wrong…

"So… what do you say?" Stacy asked quietly.

"I don't know…" Jasmine answered tentatively, playing with her fingers.

"I say let's do it! Let's finish what they started." Jason said fiercely.

I took in a deep breath before answering, "I don't think we should do anything just yet."

"NOT DO ANYTHING JUST YET?! WE'VE ALREADY WAITED TWO MONTHS SCOTT! TWO WHOLE MONTHS DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" Stacy yelled waving her hands wildly.

"I just meant we don't know how to use these … carbon tanks"

Stace looked as if she was going to scream at me again, but then seemed to reconsider. "That's not a problem. It can't be that difficult. All we have to do is expose these Quinanees to some carbon dioxide. That's all… Now what do you say?"

Jasmine's P.O.V.

It took Scott some time before he agreed. But when he finally did, he did it full-heartedly. No turning back… All eyes were shifted to me.

Somehow Scott agreeing gave me the courage to consider this option. "Fine…" I mumbled.

Stace gave me a bear hug and whispered in my ear, "You won't regret this"

We decided to follow our parents' plan and set out the next day at sunrise. While packing, our talk was uncomfortably limited and the atmosphere gravely intense… We only packed food and light weaponry in case we needed them on the way. Not that we stood a chance against the Quinanee's defenses if we were spotted, but something is better than nothing, right?

That night, I had a very disturbing sleep. I guess we all did… I kept tossing and turning, imagining what tomorrow would hold for us. Even during the few ours of sleep I miraculously managed to get, I was haunted by dreams of the future… and my parents.

Scott woke us up just before dawn. I washed my face with the cool lake water and looked down at my reflection while pulling my cloaks hood up. Ringlets of water shattered my reflection. I turned and saw Stace, on her knees, filling her water sack next to me. She gave me a smile and I returned it weakly.

Stacy's P.O.V.

As I mounted my Arabian stallion, I noticed that the others weren't as comfortable riding horses. But none of them said a word. And I appreciated that. The situation was already difficult enough without being bothered with such problems… We rode towards the horizon, with Scott in the lead, his sword dangling at his side. I made sure I stayed at the back, a good distance behind Jason… 'If it has to happen today, there's no point in endangering the others' I thought.

Jason's P.O.V.

Our first break was at noon, to eat and rest under the shade of evergreens. The food had no taste to it. And our spirits weren’t exactly high…We let the horses eat in the nearby meadows while we rested. When we went to gather them, we found Jaz's horse seriously wounded. It looked as if a big chunk had been ripped out of its chest. Streaks of blood made their way through the long grass towards our feet.

Stacy whispered something that sounded like "a tiger".

"A what?" I asked.

"Nothing… We gotta go …now"

"I'll ride with you" Jaz said.

"NO" Stace replied quickly, waving her hand in front of her violently "You can't".

Scott's P.O.V.

I gave Stacy a sharp look. She was the best rider. Why did she have to act so selfishly…? A snarl behind me disturbed my thoughts, but when I turned around, I found nothing. Then I heard it again, but this time it was more of a growl and when I looked up, I saw a striped creature, with blood dripping from its mouth, lay two clawed paws on the dead mare in front of me. I had never seen such a ruthless beast before. Fear paralyzed me, and I could think of nothing other than its sharp teeth pressing into my skin. The hideous creature growled once more and, mere seconds later, was joined by a whole pack of its kind. They circled us, all six of them, never taking their lustful eyes off us. There was simply now way out. Our mission had ended before it had even begun…


© Copyright 2006 BatgirlBeyond (batgirlbeyond at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063783-The-Mission---Chapter-2