*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1066499-Foster-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Other · #1066499
About a girl named Valerie who goes into foster care.
When I was younger, People always told me to live life to the fullest. They would always say, ‘ Don’t let anything get you down. Just move on.’ Although I wondered how can you go on when your mothers dead and your father’s in prison for her murder. How can you go on with life knowing you’ll probably never have the kind of love only a parent can give. I felt lost, I had nowhere to go. My grandparents were dead, I had no siblings and my aunt and uncle have their own problems to deal with.
When I was put into foster care I thought it would be like a regular home but I was wrong. Know I know why foster kids were the troublemakers, the rebels. Their main goal in life is to survive. They’ve already lost hope in everything they’ve worked for and people who cared for them.
My first foster home was in Casa Grande. It was in a subburban neighborhood. We turned left on Raining Stars street and drove until we got to the sixth house on the right. It wasn’t bad, it was actually the American Dream Home.
“Let’s go,” My social worker said.
Social workers are overrated. They ask questions, drop you off at your new home and that was it. Kim got out of the car and I stayed in the passengers seat. I didn’t realize how scared I was until now. How can I become someone else’s family when I has my own.
“You OK? Don’t worry Valerie, you’ll do great here. These people are really nice.”
I got out of the car with my things. I didn’t have much, I only had a few minutes to get my things.
The Cole family looked fake In a way. There was the stay at home mother, the father who brought the bread home and the two perfect children, a boy and girl.
My foster mother’s name was April. She didn’t look like a homemaker at all. She was well dressed and her makeup didn’t make her look too old, just enough to show her younger side.
Don, my foster father had a broad look about him. You could tell he played football in High School. He had a gentle look on his face.
April told us to come in, make ourselves at home. We went to the living room and sat down. The Cole’s house was beautiful. Their leather furniture was aligned perfectly with the cofee table and rug. Their staircase looked as though it was marble.
“Katie, why don’t you take Valerie to her room and show her around.” April looked at her daughter. Katie looked at me and started walking toward the stairs. I followed her upstairs to the third on the left.
Katie went and sat on the bed, “Well, this is your room. It’s the smallest room in the house but that’s OK, isn’t it?”
I don’t know how she could ask me if this room will do, it was huge.
“Yes, this is great. This room is way bigger than my old one.”
“That’s sad.” Katie said.
I observed my new foster sister. She had black hair and hazel eyes. She wore Hollister clothes and over did her makeup. I would have told her to go fuck off but I didn’t want to make a bad impression the first day here. “Yea, I guess.”


The next few weeks passed by in a daze. This new family was beyond perfect and it wasn’t normal. I’ve never met a mother like April. She was always so high in spirits it was unnerving. Every time I’d see her she’s cleaning, cooking food, taking Katie somewhere, always being productive. Katie always had volleyball practice or went to the mall with her friends. Maverick, the son, was never home except for dinner. He has car so he doesn’t need April to drive him places.
Don was always at work. He worked as a guard at Arizona State Prison. He’d leave for work at five and come home late that night. I found myself alone almost all the time. Everyone had something to do but me. I begin the eleventh grade at Silton High School in one week. I wasn’t as nervous as I was anxious. I wondered if people at Silton High were like the Cole children.
© Copyright 2006 American Eagle Girl (winter4two at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1066499-Foster-Story