*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1068559-Chronicles-of-Keane-Conlyn---Part-2
Rated: 13+ · Serial · Fantasy · #1068559
A new character is born. Let's see how his exciting day starts.
This item is preceded by "Chronicles of Keane Conlyn - Part 1 - Everyone Starts Someplace

Chronicles of Keane Conlyn
Part 2
A Good Breakfast for a Good Day


         Mariel left the room and Keane sat smiling for a moment before putting on his trousers. He reached for his tattered boots and said softly to himself, "Today is a good day."

         Keane walked into the tiny kitchen and the aroma of bacon filled his nostrils. He looked at the table and saw a pitcher filled with frothy milk. He looked at his brother Mariel and smiled. He knew that Mariel had to wake an hour earlier than him to get the milk. This was normally Keane's job, but Mariel had done it so Keane could enjoy the extra sleep as part of his 15th birthday present.

         "Breakfast smells good." he said and smiled at his very slender mother who was poking at the sizzling bacon.

         "The biscuits will be ready soon. Set a place for your father." his mother said with no sound of thanks in her voice for the compliment. Keane did not expect it. His mother had been aloof and even cold at times for a little over two years, since his twin brother Koren had died from illness. Keane had been ill too, but recovered quickly. Koren was sick for seven months and died on a rainy summer morning. Keane often wondered if his mother was angry with him for surviving when his brother did not.

         "Happy birthday, brother," said Mariel as he looked sideways at his mother's back, "eat plenty this morning, it is a long journey to Southwood Pier." Keane and Mariel were due to set out on a three day journey to the small city this morning. Keane felt the excitement well up inside of him as he remembered this best part of his birthday. Mariel had gone to the city several times before to trade grain for livestock. He proved quite adept the last time by coming home with three pigs and two pieces of copper for only six bags of grain. Now that Keane was 15 he was going to travel with his brother for the first time.

         The door leading to the crisp morning outside swung open and his rangy father limped in just as his mother put a plate full of steaming biscuits on the table.

         "Laudia, get the honey. It's not everyday that we have a birthday to celebrate. Let us enjoy it," Keane's father ordered in his gravelly voice "besides, I have a sweet tooth today." He winked at is son and the four sat down and began to eat.

         Nobody spoke during breakfast, but Keane felt his excitement grow. He was ready to go now, but knew that the cart needed to be loaded with sacks of grain and provisions for the trip. He looked at his brother and saw that he hadn't eaten much and seemed pre-occupied with a small object in the breast pocket of his shirt. Keane remembered that earlier this morning he saw his brother take something from under his pillow and place it in his pocket. Keane wondered what it was for the first time.

         "I have a birthday present for you, son." his father interrupted Keane's thoughts as they were all finishing with the breakfast.

         "Really!? What is it?" Keane had not expected a gift.

         His father rose from his chair awkwardly and hobbled to the small pantry from where Laudia had gotten the honey. He reached around behind some jars of pickled meat searching with just his hand. His eyes widened as he must have found what he was searching for. He limped to within a step of Keane and presented him with a dagger in a fine leather sheath. The steel of the blade shone with brilliance and the hilt was wrapped with a strip of the same fine red leather of which the sheath was made. Keane did not reach for it. He was too awed by what he was looking at. He had never seen anything so fine in his life. Keane thought that this dagger alone could buy livestock for the family farm for the next two years.

         "Take it, boy. It's yours now" his father said as softly as his voice would allow.

         Keane felt a slight pang of testiness at the word 'boy', but was quickly distracted back to the dagger. Keane looked at his brother, who was smiling, but noticed what he thought may have been a hint of jealousy in his eyes. He turned back to his father and stood. He was at least seven inches taller than his father after his growth spurt over the last year. As a matter of fact he towered over everyone in the room. He reached for the weapon and as he gripped it, he thought he felt a bit of hesitation in his father's own grip.

         "This was your grandfather's. Keep it well as I'm sure it will keep you."

This item is preceded by "Chronicles of Keane Conlyn - Part 1 - Everyone Starts Someplace

Coming Soon : Part 3
© Copyright 2006 Warden of Bonfire Bay (bonfirebay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1068559-Chronicles-of-Keane-Conlyn---Part-2