*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070064-Dear-Daddy
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Family · #1070064
Open letter to my Daddy.
Hi Daddy. How are you? I just want to tell you a few things. This letter has been a long time in coming and now is as good a time as any.

Daddy, I know you only live a few hours away, but it seems we are further away than just the miles. We instant message each other on the internet, but you usually just say "hi and bye, and you love us", then you're gone.

We are so far apart, always have been. Not really your fault. After you and mother divorced, she kept us apart. She had so much anger and hatred toward you. She did her best to turn us kids against you. It didn't work though. We loved you too much for that. Aunt Mae told me how hurt you were by mother's actions, and how you'd park in front of the babysitter's house just so you could get a peak of us playing outside. It must have been so difficult, looking on, never being able to touch our hold your own children.

When I was old enough, I did my best to reunite us. Remember when I contacted you and Aunt Mae, and my sisters and I sneaked out of church so we could be with you, even for a few hours? We thought we were really something and were putting one over on mother. It worked for a while, until Madelyn spilled the beans. And, oh my word, was there ever a price to pay! Didn't know you'd have house guests for three months, did you?

Daddy, there is so much I want and need to say. I want to see and talk with you more. I want to tell you what it was like growing up in mom's house, what it was like at your house with Bernadette (she was such a horrid person, but I guess you finally discovered that...), I want to tell you how much we love Susan. She really is so good to you, and to us.

Daddy, I want you to know your beautiful granddaughters. How smart, athletic, funny, and awesome they are. I want them to know who you really are and how much I know you love them.

I need to tell you how much I love you and hope no one ever hurts you again. I wish we could talk every day and spend more time together. I realize that you have another family now, but we are still your family too. I don't want us to just see each other on holidays, I want more. Before it's too late. Before you die and leave me here, with words unspoken. I hurt for all of the days, weeks, months, and years that we lost.

I think I'll give you a call tomorrow. See what you're up to. Maybe plan a day trip to come see you and Susan. Talk to you soon.Bye.

Love,

DouglessRaine
© Copyright 2006 Dougless Raine (deidre at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070064-Dear-Daddy