*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070661-Colors-of-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1070661
Story about a young girl's perseverance.
“Perfect,” claimed twelve-year-old Paige Brooke, admiring her sketch of a mystical dragon.

“Paige, it’s time to leave for your art class. Don’t forget your art supplies!” Mrs. Brooke yelled from downstairs.

“Coming mom,” Paige shouted from her bedroom. She quickly closed her sketchbook, and grabbed her supplies on the way downstairs. ”Where’s dad?” Paige asked.

“Where he spends half of his life in,” stated Mrs.Brooke.

“Oh, in the workshop, I’ll go get him,” said Paige. Mr. Brooke was actually a doctor, but his hobby was to make stuffed animals for kids.

“Is that you Paige?” asked Mr. Brooke.

“ Yup, dad are you ready to leave?”

“ Yes, but before we leave I want to give you something.” Mr. Brooke handed Paige a bear that had an apron with paint splotches on it, and a paintbrush in its hand.

“ Oh my god! This is the cutest thing ever,” squealed Paige. “Thanks dad!”

“We better leave, or you will late for that art class of yours,” said Mr. Brooke glancing at his watch.
Everyone got into the car. Paige was excited because today her whole art school was going to have their monthly contest. The winner of the contest would get a brand new easel.” Oh, how lovely it would be to get an easel,” Paige thought. While Paige was happily setting her hopes up high for the art contest, her parents were noisily debating over whether they should continue Paige’s art classes because she has more free time now that summer vacation started.

The other choice was to stop Paige’s art classes since she is already a great artist. Because Mr. Brooke was thinking very deeply about Paige’s art class’s she accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. Then, he crashed into the car in front.

Paige saw the air bags rush to her parent’s faces. She hit her right hand to the window so hard that the window broke. When she looked at her hand to see if it was all right, she noticed that her hand was drenched in a crimson liquid, immediately she knew that it was blood. Paige also noticed a small pale bone protruding from her wrist. At that moment Paige fainted in fright. She woke up in her bed at home. When she got a better look at her hand, she found a cast covering her wrist. She threw the bed sheets with her left hand and ran downstairs to ask her parents what had happened to her hand. Both of her parents were in the kitchen drinking coffee. They had injuries as well but not serious ones.

”The art contest.” Paige remembered, and ran to her room in tears.

“That was my only chance to get an easel,” she sobbed while falling on her bed. She got out her sketchbook, for drawing made her feel better. Then she took out a pencil and started to draw a teddy bear. But she was right-handed and when she wrote with her right hand it felt like she was writing with her left hand. She drew like a kindergartener that didn’t know how to draw.

“Maybe it’s the cast,” Paige wondered.
Finally, after four weeks Paige’s cast came off. She was so excited because she would be able to draw again, and enter the next art contest for the coming month. But she was wrong.

”Paige even if your cast is off your hand, your hand is still very weak, and it will be very hard to write or draw. Do the exercises that I give you for about a month, then there is a chance for you to recover your drawing skills.” Paige’s doctor said.

“Chance,” Paige sobbed, her eyes filling with tears. That meant, she couldn’t go to the art contest for the coming month either.

The next day Paige did the exercises that her doctor told her to do. At first they were really hard and they hurt, but by every new day the exercises became much easier. She was recovering! After a month Paige was mostly recovered, and she could write and draw almost as well as she did before. Since a month was over that meant there was going to be an art contest. When she entered the door of the studio of her art class everyone came up to her telling her how much they missed her. Paige drew an island’s beach with palm trees. Mostly everyone voted for Paige. The art teacher Ms. Melée told her that they saved the easel for when she came back because they knew how much Paige wanted the easel. So, Paige won and got an easel!
© Copyright 2006 cute_puppie_luver (chibi_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070661-Colors-of-Life