*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076258-Rhode-Island--Descriptive-Essay-EDITED
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1076258
Rhode Island, the beach, summer


Rhode Island
A Descriptive Essay


During late spring, early summer, Rhode Island makes its annual transformation from a windswept ghost town filled with residents from the area to a busy, overcrowded town overflowing with energetic tourists. Stores and beaches open to usher in the summer. Kids and adults pack up the car and make way to the ocean.

After arriving at Misquamicut, we drive to the cottage. The cottage reminds me of an orange popsicle color, with overpowering mismatched furniture. It just wouldn’t be the same without that mismatched furniture. As I walk to the beach I hear the pea stone rocks rustling beneath my flip-flops. Passing me are vans packed with kids and beach toys, heading for the beach. Once I’m at the beach I can immediately hear the waves crashing violently in the distance. I can also hear the loud music blaring from the Andrea Hotel. The aroma of fried dough meets my taste buds. I can see the beach-goers walking on the smooth, hard-packed, porous sand. In the distance, kids are using their artistic abilities to build sand castles and sculptures. Others play on boogie boards and inner tubes, which remind me of donuts, in the ocean. Even the self-confident kids are out in the water on skim boards. Then after I get settled on the beach, I make my way to the ocean.

I rush into the ocean water, with my boogie board at hand, quickly so I won’t notice how cold it is. Then I wait till there is a good wave that I can ride safely back to shore. Once I get the wave I’m soaring like a bird, with the water on my back cooling me from the scorching sun. Then I keep going in and out until I am tired out, or till I am stopped by the sight of a banana boat, with all the brave souls on board. Then I get out of the water and pass the lifeguard chair, where he is attentive and aware of his surroundings. I go to the blanket and take a long sip of ice cold water, quenching my thirst. I lie down on the blanket and drift off to sleep.

The sounds of the waves crashing violently then shimmering to the shore in a repetitious pattern that never ends, and the warmth of the sun on my back and the unevenness of the sand under the blanket that folds a mold around me, makes me fall asleep. I am awakened by the twelve o’ clock siren that rings from the fire station in town. We go back to the cottage and have lunch. I have a tuna fish sandwich with mayonnaise and cheese surrounded by two slices of white bread. I also have a cup of Crystal Light pink lemonade to wash everything down. After lunch I head over to the waterslides at Water Wizz.

At Water Wizz, I get my mat and begin sliding. After a brief recollection, I’m sliding down on the waterslide and straight into the water traveling at gravity defying speeds that send me skimming across the water. On the way back to the cottage, I can see a desert sand Hummer H2 in the parking lot of the Misquamicut State Beach. Then I head back to the cottage for some dinner and entertainment.

One of the restaurants that I highly recommend in Rhode Island is Two Little Fishes, located on the main drag in Westerly. After dinner, we go shopping. Some of the places we go shopping to are comprised of The Super Center Wal*Mart, on the main drag, The Crystal mall or Simon Mall, in New London, Burlington Coat Factory, also in New London, and Benny’s also on the main drag. Benny’s is a unique, incomparable store that has everything known to mankind, and then some. Benny’s has everything from saltwater taffy to beach accessories to bikes and toys.
After shopping, we head for some entertainment.

Other attractions in Rhode Island are only a short distance away from the cottage. These include Watch Hill, just minutes away, Foxwoods Resort Casino, in Ledyard, Mohegan Sun, in Uncasville, and Mystic, Connecticut. Watch Hill is a visual paradise with fine dining, a one hundred and twenty-six year old carousel, the oldest in the country, fifty boutiques, an ice cream parlor, yacht club, and sparkling champagne colored sandy beaches with aquamarine colored water. Also in Watch Hill we watch the sun set over the ocean behind the yachts, while eating popcorn with butter and salt from the popcorn vendor. Foxwoods and Mohegan are both filled with expensive stores, millions of ways to spend precious money and leave home poorer than when you walked in the door, restaurants and an arcade for the kids. In Mystic they have two pizzerias, Mystic 1 and 2, an aquarium, plaza with 50 stores and the Mystic Seaport. Rhode Island is an awesome vacation place, but after a while, even if you don’t want to and aren’t yet missing home, you have to go back home.

When Labor Day approaches, stores begin closing after making clearance process on all left over items and Misquamicut turns back into a ghost town to do it all over again next year, in a never ending pattern just like the waves in the ocean. Parents dust all the leftover sand off their kid’s beach toys and pack everything up for next year.

© Copyright 2006 Jennie Josefiak (xojennieleexo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076258-Rhode-Island--Descriptive-Essay-EDITED