*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1077099-The-Pied-Piper-of-Hamlin
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1077099
This is the story of the pied piper told through the eyes of the lame child.
I remember the day he came. Dressed in the stangest attire, he looked like a lost traveling circus juggler. He was taller than most men, especially my father( which in turn made my father feel that this new commer was a threat), he had sandy, loose hair that framed his face like a wreath, his skin was darker than most making him and exotic prize that girls swooned in the streets for but was scorned by all educated and political men of the town, he was a young man but had no beard or facial hair at all, his mouth and lips were all smiles with sparkling teeth and were usually pelled into a half smirk half smile that drove my sisters and friends crazy. His eye though were what caught me, they were a startling blue like the sea after a storm, that seemed to go on forever into time while pushing forward with a little too much angst, they bored into their victom seeming to extract all knowlegde of this person evern their very thoughts. They were filled with excitment, confidence, danger, and advernture but still had hurt, confusion, regret, and instability swirling around in their murky depths. The first time I looked into those eye i knew exzactly who he was and yet nothing of him at all, he knew i knew this and steered clear of me for the majority of his visit. The first day he came he was not noticed much, just a traveler stopping to rest for a few days. What we didn't know was that he was actually ovserving, he was observing our embarassing and out of control problem. Rats. They were everywhere. They were slowly killing our town, by wasting and ruining all our major resources. My father knew this, the whole town government knew this, all the towns people knew it, I knew it. My father, the mayor, had done little to control it though and when he did he only used if for the richest people in the town, making like 10 times harder for our poor and middle class citizens. I always nagged and debated the rat issue with him because most of my friends were poor (and some of their stories are too horrible to tell) and as mayor it is his job to take care of everyone in the town. He always pushed me away though, always telling me i knew nothing, that i was nothing, which was why he kept me locked up, most of the time. You see, I am afflicted. When i was born my left leg was crooked and it made me limp and drag it around. My father grew so ashamed of me he locked me up in my room and hardly let me out except for meals, and i could only leave the house on holidays, our one holiday. When i was little it hurt me, the fact that he was aschemed of me, but now then i started to use this pain, i became invinsible because no one and nothing could hurt me more than he had.
After the man had been here for a few days he made his grand appearance. My father and the other "political official croonies" as he called them were in a meeting when he entered. They tried to turn him aways but his offer sent them jumping for joy. 1000 gilders they promised if he would rid the city Hamlin of rats. Taht afternoon he appeared again in the city square and in his hands lay a small pipe of wood. The whole village had gathered to watch what he would do, how could one man rid and entire city of rats? The silence was heavy and think like a wool pillow trying to suffocate you. Suddenly he raise his small wooden pipes to his smirking lips and blew. Exploding from this small wooden toy came the most beautiful and ghosly not of pure music that anyone had ever heard. I new it was magic a rare and untold form of trickery in the sheltered town of mine. As he played this note nothing happened, time stopped, and everything froxe, all that exsisted was the deathly and mezmorizing not. Suddenly we heard it, a rumbling so great we thought he had called on a storm, but then out of every house and building, nook and cranny, bin and barrel came pooring out rats, millions of rats. Before we new it we were all up to our waists in rats. Grils screamed, mothers moaned, men shouted, children shrieked. The rats followed the piper and his music to the river just south of our city, they seemed to rave as if their lives depended on it. They squeled and bit and ran right into the water. Soon all was quet again and the piper soon ceased. The town erupted in cries of joy, we rushed to him thanking him. He just swept us aside and went to my father demanding his 1000 gilders he was owed. My father though, the idiot that he was, denied tha man his money and told him to be on this way. The man warned my father to pay, but still my father denied knowing there was no way to bring the rats back from the watery depths where they know lay. Then with flash of fury the pipes flew to his mouth again and played a new beautiful then just like the rats all the children began to run full speed ahead to the mountains near by. The music pulled me on, and i limped along in the back or the crowd. As we neared the mountains a crevice opend wide revealing a land of wonders, magic, hope, healing. I hobbled faster wanting more than anythingto go there, to be fixed, to be accepted. All the other kids were pouring in and soon i was the only one left outside. Just as i reached the cracas opening through the man stood in front of me and said, " No, you're not welcome, cripple girl."
"No, let me in, please, i can't go back, not to that!" I cried. Then he laughed and said "So long, cripple, die a good death!
"Who are you!" i screamed in despair.
"I am the Pied Piper, and let no one forget it!" With that he jumped inside and closed the cravice, with me still on the outside. I fell to my knees and screamed.
© Copyright 2006 Aiden Bronwen (snakeroom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1077099-The-Pied-Piper-of-Hamlin