*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078835-Of-Earth-and-Stars
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1078835
A tale of time lost, time mourned, and time hoped for...
Reflections of a Lonely Heart

Having grown accustomed to the slightly below average gravity, Blair stepped effortlessly toward the edge of the cliff. Stopping just short of the jagged edge, she undid the small hair-clip that was holding her rust-colored hair in a ragged bun. Her hair pitched and tossed in the wind current. From this vantage point, Blair could see the Phantom City in its entirety. She could smell the stagnant dust and ashes, which rose up, permeating the air and invading her nostrils.

This dead area was the legacy of a society lost to the ages. A once powerful city, Phantom City, as it was now called, had fallen victim to the “beautification” of the human race. The competition in the race for advancement had wrought havoc on not only Phantom City but the entire world. They said that there was no time to test the new inventions or the new drugs for fear of losing some all-powerful money. The new drugs caused terrible mutations and new diseases; however, no one seemed to know the cause until much later. The machines and inventions were altogether faulty. There was a new apparatus in every home and every home in Phantom City was destroyed. There were none who suspected the terrible end but every living being was affected by it.

Blair looked on with a dispirited discontent. Why? Why has this happened? Why can’t things be like they were? Too numerous to count were the times she had rolled these questions over in her mind. No answers came.

The yellow clouds hung low like a shroud over the city. Different. Everything was strange now. Even the gravity had sunk below average. Well, she had become acquainted with that, but she would never get used to the loneliness. The overwhelming sense of being alone grounded itself deep within her psyche, refusing to release its hold. Being twenty years old, she had seen many things. She remembered when there were real cities. Grand cities with giant buildings, vehicles of all shapes and sizes, people running to and fro all day and night, children playing on lawns of green. But these were memories. She hadn’t seen these things in many years. How many? She couldn’t remember, nor did it matter.

Dust clouds contorted upon the city, blowing debris through the streets like the ghosts of the once flourishing race. Blair touched her hand to her lips and blew a kiss toward the city. With a final look and a final sigh, she turned away from the city as a silent tear rolled down her cheek.

* * * * * *

Resolution of a Lonely Heart

The hazel eyes shifted from landscape to landscape. Looking in those eyes, Blaine could see the torment of Blair’s past, the places she had seen, the death she had witnessed, the carnage wrought. The small room in which they stood was humid and added to the already uncomfortable atmosphere. The dark blue walls darkened the already bleak day.

Blaine cradled her head as she sobbed on his shoulder. She was weary. He could tell. She raised her head to gaze deeply into his eyes.

Through watery eyes and while choking back sobs, she said, “It was all so, so beautiful once. I… remember when I would play in the community park with my brother. We were so happy. So happy…”

She broke off and buried her face in Blaine’s chest again.

He thought for a moment, and then commented, “I promise that things will get better. The Council is promising a relief convoy for people who want to get off this rock.”

“This is more than just a rock!” she shouted suddenly.

She stepped slightly away from him, obviously offended.

“This is home to me. I have loved this world all my life. I have seen entire cultures live and die. I have walked in deserts that were once forests. This is my home. It is more than a mere rock.”

She stared hotly at Blaine for a moment; however, she was calming now, the redness leaving her face, returning to its normal, pallid appearance.

Blaine retorted, “I am truly sorry. I didn’t mean for that to sound so brutal. But this place is dying fast. It holds nothing for you now. Besides, home is where you make it. When the Council approves the new plan, we can relocate to X-7. It is said to be very similar to Earth. I hope that offers some consolation. Please do not be so sad. You still have my heart, as you always will. I will always be here.”

The two looked longingly into one another’s eyes. They longed for the old ways. They longed for peace. They longed for the rest that they so desperately needed. The couple leaned in for a kiss. It was a passionate kiss that seemed to represent the release of their built up tensions. It was a deep show of affection.

“Blaine, I love you. I am sorry for being this way. It’s just that I am trying to come to grips with all of this. I just can’t seem to see why I would want to leave my home.”

“Hindsight is twenty-twenty, love,” Blaine affirmed. “In time you will see that this has to be done.”

A siren could be heard in the not-so-far distance. A voice then came from the many speakers that were around, saying, “The Council has issued a full-scale evacuation. Those of you who want to leave, please report to GlobeTech Aerospace to be placed on a craft to X-7. Thank you.”

“Well, it seems the time has come,” Blaine said quietly, almost whispering. “Will you come away with me to another world?”

* * * *
Sojourn of a Lonely Heart

An all-encompassing darkness gave some comfort to Blair. It was kind of like sleep. Looking out of the window of the Crisis, the ship that was transporting the Earth-dwellers to X-7, she could see Earth floating away. She found those same salty tears flowing from her eyes. She could see her own reflection in the large window. Her hair was still somewhat mussed. Did it really matter? She saw the people behind her. Some standing, some sitting, some sleeping. Many children ran around and played their games until parents would tell them to stop. Then came the pouting and some crying. Oh well, they’ll be fine. They are still young.

Earth was becoming smaller and smaller. Blair was relieved that she could use the window to take her final glimpse of Earth; however, this did little to comfort her and she found little solace. Soon she would be in a foreign place, an alien world on which she would spend the rest of her life. An alien home. In a mere forty-eight hours she and the rest of her race would be on X-7, the world that the government described as “a new hope for a new generation”. Well, she still had Blaine. Oh, how she loved Blaine. He had introduced her to so many new perspectives about the world. When she wanted to get away from things that burdened her, she had always gone to Blaine. The three years they had spent together were some of the best years she could remember. She couldn’t wait to get home so they could… Home.

A tone sounded within the ship. It was the sleep call. People began moving toward their bedding areas. Parents, despite their children’s desperate pleas, scooted their children along with them. Not Blair. She stayed at the window, determined to watch Earth, her home, until it could no longer be seen. As the lights of the interior of the ship went out, Blair’s solitary silhouette could be seen against a backdrop of Earth and stars.
© Copyright 2006 C. R. Leverette (sorrowextinct at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078835-Of-Earth-and-Stars