*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083785-An-Autumn-Moon
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1083785
A tale of new love and supernatural secrets...
She lay on her back, staring up at the bleak, pale sky that overshadowed the plain. The clouds danced nimbly above her. A fog rose around her, enclosing her in a realm of moisture, as droplets collected on her face like tears. She sighed slowly, exhaling a plume of smoke-like breath.

He watched from the cover of the trees, contemplating his next move. She was so graceful; so carefree; so elegant. Despite the drab clothes she wore, beauty emanated from her. It settled like a rime upon her skin.

He noticed movement. She trembled on the ground in an elegant shiver. Was it laughter? Yes, that was it. She was laughing! Oh, to hear that sweet sound! But how to get there… The only cover was a small bush just behind the woman.

“That’s it!” he thought.

He knelt for a moment to take in his surroundings. After making sure that the woman would not see him, he made his way toward the covering of the bush. He stayed very low, stopping several times for fear of being noticed. After what seemed like hours, he reached the cover of the bush. He was only a few paces from the woman. Her purple-tinted black hair whipped around her as the wind blew harder than before. But she was no longer laughing.

His heart sank. He so wanted to hear her sweet laughter. A quiet sigh escaped him.

She was so beautiful. Although her face was averted, he could still see her beauty in the graceful cheekbones surrounding a pert, small nose. Her slender body lay delicately in the middle of the field, the grass giving her a soft bed. Her white gown fluttered in the wind.

Laughter suddenly escaped from her once more. It began as a quiet giggle and swelled to a crescendo of merriment and glee. The man’s heartbeat quickened. The laughter was so wonderful that he smiled and closed his eyes to soak in the barrage of happiness. The woman wiggled on her back, creating a strange yet enticing dance. She ran her fingers through her hair and smiled. A surge shot through him, causing him to laugh as well. He could not contain it. The moment the woman heard him she sat up quickly. She stood up and turned to the bush. She saw him then. He was kneeling behind the bush, looking sheepishly up at her.

“Why hast thou disturbed my peace?” she asked in a calm tone.

His words seemed to be stolen away by her beautiful voice. Everything about her seemed to radiate beauty. She had a calming English accent and he was comforted by her voice.

“I… I am very sorry, ma’am. I only wanted to see you from a closer vantage and hear your laughter.”

Her face became inquisitive as she noticed the man and his style of dress, seemingly for the first time.

“Hast thou come from a future? A distant time long after my offspring and I are gone?” she asked with all the curiosity of a small child.

“No, ma’am,” he answered, “ I think you are confused. I have seen you here many times as I stroll through these woods. But today, you caught my attention more than usual, though I don’t know why. Then, as I watched you lay so gracefully, you began to laugh. I greatly desired to hear that sweet melody. Forgive me, ma’am, if I am being forward, but I believe that you are the most beautiful woman alive on this earth. Please forgive me if I have upset you in any way.”

She stared him in the eyes for a moment. Looking him over, she took in his appearance with great interest.

Then she spoke. “I hath found no objection in your words, good sir. Indeed, ‘twas a great compliment. Thou art entirely handsome and seem a very desirable man. But may I inquire as to thy name?”

“My name? I go by Edward. Edward Winslow. Might I ask yours as well?”

“I am Lady Autumn Moon,” she answered.

His heart rose again. What a beautiful name! A woman as beautiful as she deserved a name that was just as beautiful.

“Lady Moon,” Edward began after some thought, “there is a love inside of me that is at once great and confusing and I can hardly contain it. I have never laid eyes on a woman more beautiful, nor heard a voice more melodious and soft, nor have I been in the presence of a woman that had a fragrance that put my mind instantly at ease. I do not know if I am from the future or if you are from the past. I do know that I am in a state of euphoria here with you.”

Edward’s hands were trembling. Sweat was beginning to seep into his palms. He had never spoken so boldly and the words seemed to flow out of him as if they were not his own.

Lady Moon spoke again.

"And what reason have I to trust your words, Edward?" she asked calmly and coldly.

"I understand your skepticism, Lady Moon. I have been hurt by a woman I once loved. I truly loved her with all of my heart and she betrayed me. I felt like a part of me died. But please understand that I do not mean to mislead you. What I feel for you is true. It is real. I have watched you for so long because there is something pure about you. Something so pure that I am willing to risk my pride and perhaps even my life to be a part of it. I am truly sorry if I have offended you, but this is what I feel."

Lady Moon stared at Edward for a moment. Edward knew that he saw a change in her eyes.

“I care not if thou art from a future or if I am from the past. Thou art nobler than any man I hath encountered. Thy mannerisms and gentleness hath overwhelmed me nearly to the point of bliss. I see no hatred in thine eyes, no lust or deception. I see passion and kindness. I see compassion and calmness. Most of all, I see Truth and Love.”

The two stood, transfixed by one another’s gaze. The fog seemed to clear around them. Just out of their reach, it became thick once more.

Without warning Lady Moon leaned forward with intent in her eyes. This was it!

“At last,” he thought, ”my lips will reach that territory which none have entered.”

Their lips met. A deeply passionate kiss ensued during which Edward was sure that the world slowed its spin. Time had no meaning. Edward was not sure of his name. He felt as if they hung a few feet above the ground.

When they released their hold on one another, he realized that she had a tear rolling down her cheek.

“Why do you cry, Lady Moon?” he asked as he wiped the small tear away.

“Many years have I lain in this field,” she replied. “Men have stopped to inquire a courtship. They were all vain and shallow men; vile creatures, every one. But thou hast shown me a thing I never knew could exist between a man and a woman. Thou hast shown me Love. I am forever indebted to you, Sir Edward Winslow. Thou shall forever be blessed. Just know that I love you. I shall forever.”

With her last breath, her body became faint and dissolved into mist.

Edward, who had had hardly enough time to comprehend all that was said, fell to his knees. He wept softly. Edward was alone as the fog curled back in.

Though he felt that a hole had been opened within him because of his loss, he also felt fulfilled because he had helped her. He knew his love would live on forever…

* * *

The sun beat softly down, making for a fair day. It was quite cool, but comfortable. The fragrant flowers filled the plain with beauty. A man lay motionless on the ground.

Suddenly, a man burst through the forest, running to the motionless body.

Shaking Edward, the man said, “Edward. Edward! Come on, wake up.”

Edward opened his eyes slowly. The other man leaned back, breathing a sigh of relief.

“What are you doing out here, Edward? You’ve been gone for two days.”

“Two days?” Edward asked. “I’ve only been here for a few hours, Peter.”

“I believe you are mistaken. You left town for the forest two days ago and I have come to look for you. But why would you want to come out here anyway? Don’t you know about Lady Moon?”

Edward’s eyes widened immediately.

“Lady Moon?” he asked.

“Yes, Lady Moon. She was murdered here hundreds of years ago by the man she was desperately in love with. Apparently he didn’t feel the same. They say that now her spirit dwells here, waiting for a love that is real. Now, I’m not one to buy into such talk, but I’ve heard many stories about real witnesses. The idea of a ghost looking for love gives me the creeps.”

After a few moments, Edward said slowly, “No… I’ve never heard about it.”

“Well, regardless, this place creeps me out. Let’s go. There is some lady asking about you in town.”

“Really?” ask Edward.

“Yes, a very pretty woman. She’s got black hair with a bit of a purple tint to it. I don’t know what she would want with a dirt bag like you, but…”

At this, Edward gave Peter a nice punch in the arm. They left the field and made for town. It was a small town in a forested area, just a quaint little village of simple-living people.

When they arrived, Peter led Edward to the local inn. When they came through the door, Edward noticed a woman he had never seen before at the main desk. She was a slender woman with graceful cheekbones and purple-tinted hair. She wore less-than-expensive clothes but retained a presence of awe-inspiring beauty.

“La… Lady Moon?” Edward stammered.

She turned to him and focused.

No, it was not Lady Moon. She had the same features, but there was something different about her. He could not tell what it was.

“Yes, my name is Summer Moon, but why do you call me Lady?” she inquired with a calm English tone.

“I was explaining to him a few minutes ago about the myth of Lady Moon. It’s still fresh on his mind. Excuse him, please. Edward, this is the woman who was looking for you,” said Peter.

“What can I help you with, ma'am?” Edward asked quietly.

"May I speak to you privately?” she asked.

Edward led Summer to a small room used for meetings at the inn. Although there were chairs around the large rectangular table in the center of the room, neither of them sat.

Summer spoke first.

“I have to tell you something, but I don’t want it to frighten you. I have watched you for many days. I see you in the forest walking alone and praying. You even sing sometimes. You are a strikingly handsome man. You are more attractive than any man I have laid eyes on. I have longed to speak to you; to touch you; to hold you. I hope you don’t think badly of me. I just had to speak to you.”

Edward was trying with all his might to stifle the hysterical laugh that was rising in his throat. This woman was almost identical to Lady Moon, both physically and emotionally.

“I do not think badly of you at all, Miss Moon. I have been in a similar situation. You are also very beautiful. There is something about you that I thought I would only see once. But beauty is in you everywhere. You seem to radiate it.”

Summer blushed and they moved closer.

“Edward, I feel that I’ve known you longer than the present. I feel that I’ve heard you speak and know you well. I feel comforted here with you.”

Edward said nothing. He did not think that there was anything to say. He only gazed into Summer’s eyes. Lady Moon’s blessing had truly been fulfilled.

They moved closer to one another again. The kiss came at last. Once again, it was a kiss that was amazing and shocking. The world slowed. Edward had no name. They levitated just above the ground. Summer’s fragrance was that same easing smell that he had known before.

There, in one another’s embrace, the couple found comfort. There, between knowledge and confusion, between sky and ground, between movement and stillness, they found happiness.
© Copyright 2006 C. R. Leverette (sorrowextinct at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083785-An-Autumn-Moon