*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1079754-Flip-Side
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Military · #1079754
flash fiction: which side do you take?
word limit: 350 -- prompt: write about a conversation between a parent and child after an incident at school


Flip Side



Molly knocked on her son’s door. It wasn’t like Kevin to have to be called twice for dinner, even if he was in the middle of his homework. She was glad he took it seriously, having his heart set on keeping his grades high enough to make it into West Point, as his father had. Afraid the long separation from his father would curb Kevin’s interest, in both his career and his grades, Molly was glad to see it hadn’t yet.

He didn’t answer, so she stepped in, calling his name. “What’s wrong, honey?” Kevin was sitting on his floor leaned back against his bed, his dad’s old Army cap in his fingers. When her question was met with silence, Molly went over to sit beside him. Fifteen already. It was hard to believe he had grown so quickly.

“Are you going to tell me what’s bothering you? Or are we going to sit here all night and let dinner get cold?” She grinned, ruffling his hair. He was a tolerant child for all the affection she bestowed on him.

“My history teacher said anyone who fights in a war is as evil as terrorists. Most of the class agreed.”

“He said what?” Molly’s anger ripened instantly. She missed their old community, full of military families that understood what she and her son were going through while her husband was overseas doing his duty. “How dare he say such a horrible thing? Did anyone tell the principal?”

“They all agreed, Mom.”

“Well, I don’t agree. And neither do you. You know your father isn’t evil. He is protecting innocent people. Remember the letter he sent about the children who hugged him and said ‘thank you’?”

Kevin nodded and dropped his head into his hands. “Why can’t people understand? Why won’t they listen to the other side?”

Molly hugged him. “I don’t know. But what I think is evil is making a child feel like this when he’s giving up so much. Stand your ground. I’ll support you.”

Straightening, Kevin grinned. “I’ll talk to the principal tomorrow.”


(346 words)
March 8, 2006
© Copyright 2006 Voxxylady (voxxylady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1079754-Flip-Side