*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1080297-The-First-Test
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1080297
A newlywed faces temptation.
Melissa yawned.

“Thinking about turning in?” Jay sipped his beer and noticed Melissa had finished her Jack-and-coke.

“Probably should,” She had almost skipped the conference, but David, her new husband, agreed to hold off their honeymoon a few days. “I’m going to head up to my room. The breakfast buffet is at seven in the morning, and a fat girl never misses a buffet.”

“Voluptuous, Melissa, not fat, voluptuous. Hey, you mind taking a quick look at my presentation? I’d like to bounce it off you, see what you think.”



“This is so much nicer than my room. Want to trade?”

“That bed is big enough for both of us,” Jay smiled with a wink. He handed her the presentation and a beer from the mini-bar.

“I can’t read this. I’m too tired and you’ve been trying to get me drunk.” She plopped back on the bed. Jay lay next to her. He was on his side propped on an elbow. She noticed his eyes. They were a warm blue and they looked at her with a relaxed expression.

A cheerful little tune startled them both. “Is that your cell phone?”

She got up and dug through her purse. “Hello?” it was David.

“I was just thinking about you, babe. Did I wake you up?”

She trotted into the bathroom. “No, I was having trouble sleeping. I’m glade you called.”

“Meet any nice men?”

“What do you mean?”

“Just kidding. I won’t keep you up, babe. I just wanted to say I love you.”

“I love you, too.”



When she walked out of the bathroom, Jay saw her reddened eyes. She sniffed and didn’t look at him. “I’m leaving,” she reached for her purse.

Jay placed a hand on hers, “He’ll never know.” His blue eyes began to draw her in.

“I can’t do this. I’m sorry.” She walked out into the hallway and headed for the elevator, but the words made her stop. He’ll never know.

Jay greeted her at his door. His lips were soft and he had such a gentle way. He’ll never know.
© Copyright 2006 zmanl28 (zmanl28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1080297-The-First-Test