*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/932457-Dark-Ice
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Death · #932457
Saying goodbye is hard enough. Hope this never happens to you.
Snow’s time has come. The ol’ guy doesn't run, play or even jump in my lap anymore. You never think about losing a friend to old age when they’re a kitten. You just smile and welcome them into your life, as if for an eternity. If I hadn’t loved him, I would feel like the two boys playing outside my back window, near the frozen creek – happy and carefree. They lift a large block of ice over their heads and toss it to the ground and try to break it with a stick. But I did love him. Whether for a cat or your own mother, love is love; and when the object of that love is lost, a part of you goes with it.

Snow has been missing four days now. I call him; sometimes put on a coat and walk down to the creek where I’ve found him so many times before, hunting I suppose. Before I say goodbye, I will go once more to the creek. There is always hope.



“Hello, how are you two doing?” I ask. They look at each other and then at me. They raise their shoulders.

“Just playing with the ice, sir,” one says. The other one places a large block of ice behind his legs as I approach.

“Have you two seen a white cat around here?” They look at each other again.

“N- no, sir. I haven’t,” one says.

“I don’t think so,” says the other one.

Skinny legs can no longer hide the awful truth. They step aside, quietly, as I walk over and kneel on one knee. There, in a half shattered block of dark ice, lay the body of a once proud and vivacious soul: Snow, my eternal friend.
© Copyright 2005 zmanl28 (zmanl28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/932457-Dark-Ice