*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083922-Mist
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Novel · Entertainment · #1083922
Nick in his "perfect society," learns about human past and failures.
Promotions
Day One
6:00 AM

As every morning began, the young children from grade one to seven headed off to school. Nick was in grade seven and rode his bike to the learning house. He peddled as fast as he could to make it to school on time. Yesterday his friend Carlos was late, as many times he was. He arrived at the end of the morning pledge to the community. The teacher called him up in front of all the grade and told him to apologize to the grade and to the teacher. He was required to answer three questions during the class that day instead of the typical one.
Nick peddled hard passing the lower grade kids who hadn’t received their bicycles yet. Every year the kids raised a grade and with raising the grade they receive special items or assignments. When they enter forth grade they receive their bicycles. They keep their bikes until they are let out of the community. The most important and special graduation is from seventh to eighth, where the children start their training to become adults and are given their placement for the rest of their lives. Nick has been looking forward to this since he entered the learning house.
Children are raised in the infant care center for five grade cycles until they are given to family units. When the child enters the family unit it also enters the learning house and are put into grade one. Nick arrived on time as always and set his bike in the rack with all twenty of the others, and cleaned off the license plate with his initials on it. He went inside and the teaching unit stood and led the class in its everyday pledge to the community, then lectured to the class for five hours.
The class let out at eleven and the kids each took their bikes and headed towards the places they wanted to volunteer at. When the children entered grade five they are given volunteer hours so that the community leaders can observe them and give them the best placement in the town for them. The leaders give out the assignments at the graduation of grade seven which was the following day. Nick was very excited. He volunteered at many different places, he had tried the Childcare Center, the Newborn House, the Hall. None seemed to suit him. His favorite thing was to build things out of sticks and string during the playtime before he became a grade seven. Nick had little time to just play around he had home assignments from the learning house and the volunteer hours took up all of his afternoon. Today the volunteer hours were cancelled.
“Everyone head indoors immediately,” A commanding voice called over the loudspeakers that were located all over the town. Nobody knew what was going on, all they knew was that the gates to the outside of the community were locked. The gates to the outside were never locked on the inside. No doors were ever locked to keep the people in the community inside of the walls even though noone ever thought to leave the perfect protection of their community (However only hunters leave). The lock down was only for a moment however very frightening. Nick didn’t know how to perceive the situation. About a flick (approximately one hour) later the elders came back over the intercom system and told the community that it was safe to re-enter the community. Nick left the safety of the learning house where he was Hiding– no, waiting –and moved towards his dwelling place. Getting home that early was very strange. The guards on the towers at the only entrance to the community pulled the heavy metal shields up from the locked position. Only during the heavy Mist did those shields shut.
Nick hurried past the walls which protected the community for as long as it had been established. Naomi, a female of grade seven, spotted Nick and called him. Nick stopped his bike as she rode up to him slowly.
“Gosh, that sure was terrifying. I don’t know of anytime that a scare like that has taken place. Seeing the gates locked was strange too, I remember only one other time they were locked, however that was just a mistake by the gate keeper.” She said with a stuck-up voice. Nick never really liked Naomi until this grade. He found her quite knowledgeable about things. There was something else about her too. He didn’t know exactly what but he knew that his body seemed to want to touch hers. He fought these strange instincts every day for this whole year. Tomorrow during the graduation he knew he wouldn’t have to deal with her anymore. She spent almost all of her volunteer hours at the Old home. She enjoyed the old, particularly one who was the nicest person she had ever met. Her name was Opal, and was the oldest of the Old home. She would soon be let out of the community on a small wooden raft at the back of the village where the walls extend far into the sea. The old are set on the wooden planks and pushed off to sea where they will land on the Island of the released and live for eternity in harmony and peace with as much energy as they had as a young child. Naomi had been talking about how frightening the scare was earlier for about ten minutes now and Nick had zoned out examining the wall and wondering what lies beyond. Only the Hunters, the strongest of all men in the community who had built up strength through training– typically through construction and other activities– were allowed outside of the walls of the community.
“I’m sorry,” Nick said interrupting Naomi, “but I have to be going to my dwelling now. My parental units will want me there as soon as possible to help with the daily cleaning. If I get done early, I will go to the park and see the other children and we will play good guys bad guys. If that is alright, with you.”
“Nick, you were rude.”
“I apologize.” Nick said, for it was wrong to be rude.
“I accept your apology,” Naomi said as the children were taught to do even before the grades and parents were given to them.
Nick and Naomi parted, yet some part of him wanted to stay with her. Not knowing what this feeling was he decided once more; ignore it.
When he arrived back at his dwelling, his mother and little sister were there. His father was still at the Nurturing center where the newborns were created. He was the operator of the Nurturing center.
“Good afternoon, Nick.” His Mother said politely.
“Good afternoon, Mother.
“Are you excited about the graduation ceremony tomorrow?” She asked.
“Yes I am. I cannot wait until I get my watch and see which placement of the community I get.” Nick paused. “Mother?”
“Yes Nick. What is it?”
“Has anyone been given the Hunter position strait from the school?” Nick asked.
“Well about Seven years ago, about the time you were given to us, a young man named Elijah was given a position of Hunter. He was excited mainly because he was the only one who didn’t have to attend grade eight. Only three days had gone by and he thought he was ready to hunt by himself.” She explained while washing dishes.
“But nobody is allowed to hunt alone.” Nick said.
“Elijah thought he was better than the other hunters. He became prideful. He went out on his own into the Mist outside of the walls and he was found later. Nobody saw the him except the elders. They boxed him in a crate and sent him into release of the Old, knowing he wouldn’t make it to that island. They sent him anyway into the sea for the respect he deserved.”
“Did he die?” Nick asked intently.
“Yes he did.” Mother responded.
“But I thought that nobody died? Death was just in stories that have morals told to the children to scare them into doing what is right.” Nick said bringing up his knowledge about death that he had learned a few months before.
“Well this young man name Elijah is the only person I know for a fact Died. That is why they teach the young ones not to be prideful in what they do, for the work of everyone in the community is equal.” She told Nick educating him on the new facts about death.
“Naomi is prideful in respect to her knowledge. She knows facts that were taught to her many months ago.” Nick explained.
“Nick, you have been talking quite frequently about Naomi. Is there something about her that is bothering you?” She asked. Nick knew the laws of the community. The third law:
NO LYING. Lying was punishable by labor in the mills. Where the harvested grains were ground.
“Yes, Mother.” Nick Replied. “I have had this–feeling. My body wants hers. That is the only way I can explain how it happens.”
“Oh is that all? Well that is normal for a seventh grade.” She said. She went to the cabinet where the medications were located. Sickness was abolished some years back but some medications are still in tact for minor scrapes and bruises that will instantly heal pain. As well as several other types of medications that only were used for specific jobs. His father took a pill that was required by his job to keep him from being attached to the children that were newborn. She pulled a blank medicine bottle. “Here, take one of these every morning from now on. Those feelings will stop immediately.”
He had seen his mother and father take the pills every morning and had long wondered what they were for. He never had asked, that was rude. Being rude was against the rules and required immediate apologies. “Is there anything you need me to help you with, Mother?” Nick asked.
“No, I am almost done for today.” She said. The late afternoon hours were always for walks in the park or slow and steady bike rides. Some small activity that usually soothes a person before the evening meal which was delivered while they were out. When Nick became a grade seven he was no longer required to go to the park during these evening recreation periods. Nick was free to do what he wanted as long as he didn’t break the rules.
“Well then Mother, I think I will go to the park and see if there are any other grade sevens there to play with. Goodbye, Mother. I will see you at the evening meal.”
“Goodbye, Nick.”

5:00 PM
Nick had been playing in the park for nearly an hour or so. He watched the wall with great anticipation. Although he didn’t expect the gates to open since nobody was out hunting. Naomi was with him on the playground talking about everything she knew about in the community and how her father was the greatest hunter of all time. Nick knew this was probably true. The past few grade cycles had been the most successful the village had ever had, ever since her father came into the position of the hunter strategist. Every so often the elders have to graduate the most successful hunter to the head hunter to make sure that the community had enough food. Her male parental unit had been the one who created the shields on the towers of the walls. He suspected that one day in the future some flying creatures outside of the protected walls might try and attack the village and the guards needed to protect themselves so they could radio the elders.
Nick knew all about Naomi’s male parental unit. The teachers taught about the Hunter Strategist in grade two and three. The teachers taught the theories of the Strategists even though the elders said that any attack on the peaceful community was non-existent. Nick wondered about the wall. When was it built? How high is it really? No architectural achievements outdo the amazing wall.
Nick knew there were no volunteer hours today but he still wanted to try volunteering as a guard. He walked up to the door (running was against the rules if you were over grade five) and knocked hard. A slot in the door about three quarters of the way up opened and two cold eyes stared down at Nick.
“Yes?” The dark voice called.
“I would like to go up to the tower and volunteer as a guard.” Nick responded.
“There are no volunteer hours today by order of the elders. Go play in the park.” The voice commanded.
Nick knew that one was not supposed to attempt to be a guard for they told the whole grade that when they began their volunteer hours. The guards in the towers were hunters in training moved from the construction crews around the community to future hunters. The only way they could move from their guard tower was if they were summoned my the elders for a private meeting. Otherwise they remained at all times for weeks in those towers. Special medication was given to them to keep them awake for the several weeks spent in the towers watching the Mist for any movement close to the wall.
The latch shut and there was a click. It sounded like a lock. No doors were supposed to be locked in the community, for it was against the rules. He decided he would go home. He mounted his bike and rode slowly home. The slight wind on his face in the warm air calmed him down as it always did around this time of day. The hormones were released into the air during the evening recreational period to relax the community. The food distributors wore oxygen masks so they didn’t become lazy when delivering food and the guards were too high off the ground to feel the effects of the gas. Nick felt the questions about the wall slip away from his mind as he headed towards his dwelling place.

7:00 PM

At seven it was required that every dwelling be consuming the evening food. Every dwelling was built the same. The front door opened into the kitchen, then there was hallway that led to a single bathroom and four bedrooms. The parental units had separate rooms as well as the children. In the kitchen and in each room was the community’s main rules that were permanently posted on the door. The rest of the rules are taught throughout the grades and are available to anyone in the Hall as well as many other documents about the community’s heritage. The children rarely went to the Hall for it was terribly boring there and it was always better to go outside in the never changing warm air.
When the food was consumed the waste were set inside a crate and put inside the door, while the dishes were soaked in the sink until the next afternoon. When the table was cleared of the rubbish the family units are required to discuss the events of the day. It was customary for the youngest to begin each evening. Nick had a female sibling who was only a grade Three. Her name was Emily. She looked as most grade Three girls did. They all wore the same type of clothes: a knee length skirt, a long sleeve blouse, and a button down sweater. Emily began enthusiastically about her school and how they were learning about the architecture of the wall and began to learn about the Mist. She explained how the wall was built over a time span of
ten generations. Even though the rest of the family unit knew this from long ago when they were taught in grade Three, they still sat smiling as Emily cheerfully described her day. She then moved on to when the Elders came on the loudspeaker commanding everyone to remain indoors.
“That was frightening. I don’t believe I have ever been that scared in my life.” Emily said. Nothing was ever supposed to be frightening in the community. Something had gone wrong on that passing day. Emily paused and said, “That completes my day. Alright Nick, you may proceed to discuss your day. Thank you for listening.”
Nick had no idea of what to say. Nothing he had done seemed important to him. Although importance is not the reason that they share their day with their family unit. The real purpose was to knit the family closer together to make sure that the children knew what the family was designed for: The successful raising of the children to continue the life of the community. Everyone knew that. It was taught in Grade Six along with history of the community. The children were required to know how many generations had passed since the Elders began to control the community, for that was the beginning.
Nick began to explain his day and how he wanted to enter the guards tower. He jumped around quite a bit until Father corrected him for not going in chronological order. “I apologize for the improper time referral.” Nick sputtered out automatically. It was important that the order of time was kept so that one could retrace his steps in the Hall. In the Hall was where the elders lived as well as the records of everything were kept. Of course at night it shut down as no body except those on certain jobs were allowed out of the dwellings after six.
Nobody really knew what went on at night, the people who had night jobs took their resting periods during the day hours. There was an equal time of night and an equal time of day. At Six in the morning when the people of the community were allowed to open their doors it was light out. Right before Six in the evening when all doors were to be closed it was still light out. Because there was no way to see outside of the dwelling without opening the door the people were never really sure whether it became dark outside or not. Stories of before the weather control station suggested that at one time the light went out in the evening and on in the morning. Promptly at Eight everyone was to take the evening medication that put them to rest. It kept them resting until a flick before having to leave for school in the morning. When swallowing the pill they were to head strait to bed because it would only take a few minutes for the pill to take effect.
His Mother and Father told about their days while Nick and Emily listened half heartedly. They really didn’t care although telling about their day was really only for the children. When they were finished they all walked over to the cabinet where the large amounts of medications were kept. His Mother being a Grade One teaching unit took a medication that made her cheerful and happy all the time so she would bring an exceptional positive outlook on the school. Nick wasn’t really sure what all his Father took but he did take a large amount of medications. They all took the pills and swallowed them then shut the cabinet and hurried off to bed.
In the rest period Nick tossed and turned in his bed. His mind painted vivid pictures of unknown things. Nick walked blindly down a strange alleyway in a big community that was different from his own. The dwellings and architecture was huge reaching high into the what should have been the weather controls, however there were none present. It was open and a dark background covered the entire top of the city. Nick had no idea what this dark object with shining specks in it was. He thought it was glorious. He starred blankly up not noticing the older guys surround him on all sides. They pulled a bent metal rod from their clothing and pointed it at Nick. It had a hole in the end that was facing him and he noticed engravings on the side of the bent metal.
“Give me your money!” One of the guys said forcing the metal against Nick’s head.
“What is ‘money’?” Nick asked curiously. The guys shook their heads and before he could say anything else he heard a loud clang and his vision went blank. There was a searing pain in his head like when falling off a bike and the cuts sting and feel fiery. His eyes started to adjust to the bright light he saw before him and realized he was falling from the weather control area high above the community. His body rushed towards the ground faster and faster until his body smashed through it and he felt extreme heat surge his body. Like the one day when the weather control got out of hand and the heat was on too high so he had began to perspire. The only difference was this heat was hotter and began to burn his flesh. He began to scream in pain, a pain that he had never felt before. He felt as if his skin and flesh were as liquid running off his body yet he peered at them still strongly attached while he continued to fall. Nick no longer was able to see what was going on. He wasn’t sure who or what was around him. The pain became so overwhelming that he had grabbed the person’s arm that was falling beside him and began to gnaw on it. It seemed to help the pain slightly. It felt to him as if it was never going to end. This falling, burning, blindness, and gnawing on the flesh of himself and those around him continued on for what felt like was eternity. Until finally he woke. His bed drenched in cold perspiration. Not knowing what that place was he instantly began to forget about his dream. For some reason though he had the distinct feeling that it was a real place that seemed to await his arrival one day. He rose from bed and made himself ready for the next day.



Day Two
6:00 AM

Nick ran out of the dwelling swallowing the daily medication somehow making himself late when he was sure he was going to be right on time. He jumped onto his bike and peddled towards the learning house. He neatly stacked his bike with the others and ran inside. He knew that today was going to be a swell day, specifically because this was the last day of class and the next day was the graduation. He couldn’t wait. He had no idea what the elders had decided to place him as. He knew whatever it was he would do his best, however he still had a passion to be a hunter. He wanted the honor that came with that. Everyone in the village respected and looked up to the hunters, for if it was not for them the whole community would starve. Nick began dreamily thinking of how wonderful it would be for all of the people in the community to look up to him and admire him.
“Nick! Get in here now.” The teaching unit called harshly. He was nearly late from dreaming of the next day. The Teaching unit didn’t scold him because she knew exactly how excited he was and most of the kids would be inattentive on this final day of instruction however she still threatened them with the chastisement wand. Nick noticed, as he sat in the large teaching room, that there was a single seat empty where a student should have been but failed to fill. It was John. John was a larger boy then most. He stood about an inch or two above the rest which was abnormal for the community because as everyone well knew the genetic engineers had been required to fix the error and make all the new children grow to the same height to keep the number of differences between people down. They already perfected eyes and body. Nick remembered seeing an older man probably about the age that his Father was now, however he had a large stomach area which protruded in front of him. He wasn’t sure how the large man was able to see where he was going. Hair was still different. Some was dark and some was pale. Thinking about random things were some of the best things Nick could do. He was so bored in his learning house he just daydreamed most of the time and didn’t really pay attention too much however somehow he always absorbed what was being said whether he was paying attention or not.
John had been missing now for about three days and Nick had an awkward feeling about it. Sometimes when Nick would think about someone he would daydream and see them in some sort of trouble. This happened when he thought about John being absent from the last day of class. He began to see an image of John outside of the walls. The shroud of the Mist covered everything and cause visibility to be extraordinarily low. He ventured deeper and deeper into the Mist and for some reason strange thoughts filled his head. Things he was taught not to do like hit another member of the community with a toy because it was wrong. He had a desire to. He wanted to pick up a stone off the ground and hit the first person he saw in the head with it repeatedly. He really wanted to hit his mother. He didn’t have logic for his reasoning he just wanted to smash her head in. He wanted to see what was inside. He continued on further and further away from the walls. With each step the desire became stronger. He began to yell. Words that he had not known but knew were vulgar poured from his mouth like hot embers. He felt a pain in his chest as he continued to inhale the Mist. He began to run as quickly from the direction he had come until finally began to fall. He ran strait off a large cliff and fell for what seemed to be forever until finally resting on the ground below with a hard impact that dented the ground as the shape of the young boy’s large body.
Nick shook his head and began to pay attention to the lecture which was nearly over. He didn’t know what it meant when he saw John hit the ground and cease to move any longer. The pain and fear that ran through John’s body had been much like the pain and fear of the fire he had dreamed of the previous rest period. When the lecture finished, the teaching unit asked for any final questions from the students. Nick raised his hand.
“Yes, Nick?” The teaching unit said, “How might I help you?”
“What does it mean when someone ceases to move or think?” Nick asked.
“I don’t understand your question, Nick.”
“ When a person ceases to have control of their body,” Nick explained, “what is that called?”
“Your question is wrong. Because a person never ceases to have control of their body except when the resting medication takes effect during the resting period.” She said. “Does that answer your question?”
“Yes it does.” He said. Lying was against the rules. So he justified this decision he had arrived at with John had been resting during a rest period outside of our walls.
The class was dismissed to their final day of volunteering when the elder came over the intercoms once more just as they had the day before. “Attentions all members of our community. We have need to announce that John has been released from our community as way of disgrace to our rules. He will never again be heard of and his name shall never be used again for future newborns. That is all.”
What Nick had seen might have been true, for it was against the rules to go outside of the walls without special permission from the elders such as those the Hunters received before each days hunt. This rule was said to be in place for each members own protection from the outside creatures.
In the open databases of the networked computer system of the Hall was information of a few of the creatures that lurked in the mist. One was the Arviak, a large creature much like what a bird would look like, although no birds were alive anymore there are stories in lower grades that allow each person to know what a bird looked like. The Arviak was about three times the size of a community member and had a large beak. The limbs of the creature stretched above the body then back down to the ground. It had six although four of the enormous limbs were known to be used to walk. The front two limbs were used like hands and even had thumbs like a member. Arviaks used their wings as camouflage because when its wings were wrapped around it, the Arviak will stop moving and light will bend around it to make it appear as though it is not really there. Everyone knew that the Arviak was very dangerous for it took several hunters away from the community. It is also a rare delicacy when the hunters bring an Arviak back to feast on. The community will not need to hunt for several days. They have not been seen for many days.
The database held thousands of volumes of information on every member in the community. Their weight, height, grade cycle (even when it no longer mattered) and the day they were entered into the database. Although nobody used the books in the library section of the Hall, many of thousands of books remained, However most were falling apart and to look something up in a two-thousand page book was much more time consuming than entering it into the database. Not all books had been entered into the database. There was one that was forbidden to open except by the head elder. It was titled: The Holy Bible. On the spine it read King James Version. It was the last bible anywhere in the community and the only place the head elder was allowed to consult was the book of proverbs. Many of which the community had perfected over the past few life cycles and therefore the book has no more use in the community. For some reason unknown to Nick they kept it locked up in a clear case in the library. The only reason Nick knew this was because he had bumped into it accidentally when looking for information on the wall. A buzzer went off and the head elder quickly ran into the room and scolded Nick for attempting to touch the forbidden book.
The elders were the only ones who really could understand the old languages of the books. Some were translated into modern speech of the community however most were not.
After the elders finished speaking over the intercom throughout the community Nick headed towards the wall and once more attempted to volunteer at the guard post. Far on the other side of the park where the path didn’t run and only a small trail was that the guards of the community walked Nick knocked on the door to the chief guard. Nick heard a metal clank as his knuckles hit the old rusted iron door. A small window slid open from above and two eerie eyes stared strait into his. Nick stunned to see the eyes backed up slightly then there was a thunderous voice that commanded him to leave by orders of the elders. Nick turned slowly and walked away. He figured he was never going to see what it was like to be a guard or a hunter. He walked back to town with his head hanging limb on his neck like a ball dangling from a string. He decided to try the Hall. He knew he would learn a great deal of information about the community if he volunteered there. He never had been assigned as the assistant library Chairman. He didn’t even know that the library had a Chairman to run the place. He thought he might learn something after all. The Chairman of the library was a very oddly fellow. He had a large nose and was tall and skinny. It appeared as if he hadn’t taken part in food consumption for some time.
“What do you need me to do?” Nick asked anxiously.
“Well, my young apprentice, all we have to do today is to reply to any questions students might have sent on the history projects on the community.” The Chairman said.
“Sounds dull.” Nick said.
“Never say anything like that again.” Scolded the Chairman. “It is against the rules for one to call anything in the community such vulgar things.” The Chairman cracked a whip against Nick’s back to correct him. Nick winced in pain. “How dare you not learned that in a past grade. Get out!”
Nick left gladly and headed towards his dwelling place. His uniform rubbing against the raw area on his back from the whip. Whips were only used to punish severe misconduct. Calling an object, dull must have been pretty bad. Carlos had taught him what dull meant. It was an old word that wasn’t used in the new speech, however most adults are required to know what such vulgarity means. Nick wouldn’t ordinarily use such a word however he had desire to use an old word in a modern sentence. He would never commit such a thing again. Nick arrived home and sat at the table where the evening consumption of food would later take place and he began to think about the dreams he had the previous day. He didn’t know what this pain he experienced in these dreams was from. He never experienced pain in great multitudes like that before and didn’t think it was possible to feel such suffering.
Nick being out of volunteering so early decided to go back to the wall which seemed to be his favorite place to pass time, which this would be his final day to do so.

2:00 PM

Nick was walking along the wall heading away from the gates and towards the back of the Hall where the wall ran behind. He was casually walking slowly thinking about the encounters he had faced the previous day and thought about how difficult it was to tell his Mother about Naomi. He was a little tired and sat down with his back resting upon the wall. He gazed up towards the top of the wall wondering what it was like up there. Then he noticed something from the weather control station floating so much higher than the wall. Something dark jumping from pole to pole across the vast emptiness that lied between the struts. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes then peered back up at the station. It was gone, whatever it was.
He yawned for some reason and closed his mouth quickly for it was against the rules to yawn. Yawning was a sign of tiredness and being tired was a weakness that could possibly lead to release. He looked over in the bushes next to him and thought he could hide in them while he napped. While looking in he noticed that someone else seemed to have taken his hiding place. He touched the person in the bushes’ foot and shook hard trying to get the persons attention. He failed to move. Nick put the foot down and peered inside of the bushes. The persons arm was missing and a bright bone was broke and sticking out of the major wound. The person, who was unidentifiable as male or female, gazed with glazed eyes directly into his. With a shout of fear and nausea, Nick jumped up and headed for the Hall. That word ran through his mind that he had talked with his Mother.
DEATH
He didn’t know what it was but he did recognize what he saw as death. A fear ran through his body, like the fear during the dream. A physically nonexistent fear but a mental fear the controlled every aspect of his body. He ran hard, and an adult yelled at him to stop and chased after. He ran directly into the Hall passing the secretary and headed strait for the Elders’ room where all of the Elders met around this time. He wanted to make sure that they knew before anyone else found the person. Death again ran through his mind as well of the images of the boy missing a limb and the putrid bile that covered his uniform. He realized from the memories of the body who it was that he had found: John. He entered the hall and ran passed the secretary she yelled for him to stop running but he bursted through the doors leading to the elder’s quarters. She stood up and pushed a button on the desk and the entire place lit up with bright lights signaling something was wrong. As Nick rushed into the elder’s quarters, a bland alarm sounded and as the doors shut behind him, there was a click when the doors locked. No doors ever were to be locked in the community. He didn’t care now. He just needed to get to the chief elder. He was standing at the window looking out.
“Hello Nick. Why must you run here when you very well know it is against the rules?” The elder asked. Nick didn’t know how to reply and was still out of breath.
“Hurry come with me. There is... death.” Nick said gasping for air. The elder quickly turned from the window.
“Are you sure Nick?” He asked. Nick just shook his head as he began to walk towards the doors. The elder pushed a button on the sill of the window and the door became unlocked. Nick turned back to see if the elder was following. He saw the blank robe fall elegantly to the floor and bounce with each step. Nick turned back towards the hall and began to move a little quicker. As they came to the lobby two guards stood in the doorway waiting for Nick. The looked above him and at the elder who raised his hand for them to remove themselves for Nick to pass through. Nick showed the elder where the body was at.
“Isn’t this death? Can he be helped?” Nick asked.
“It has been many years since I have seen death. No he cannot be helped he is gone away from us now.”
“Gone away? You mean like released from us. Like the old?” Nick asked confused about this new aspect.
“No not like being released. He will not be in paradise. He is now gone. His mind has been destroyed and there is nothing we can do to bring it back.” The wise elder said. Nick did not understand the concept of being gone. He was right in from of Nick. Laying motionless face down in the dirt. Nick didn’t know what mind was. He had never heard that word before. Sounded old. Like the old language that wasn’t to be spoken anymore. Just like death. He figured he could see what it was in the records room where the dictionary and old language dictionaries were kept.
“I need to ask you something Chief elder.”
“Yes, Nick. What is it?” The elder replied.
“I saw a book today in the library that was protected by window.” Nick said.
“Glass Nick. It was glass. That is what a window is made out of. But I know since the Hall is the only building to have them it is unlikely that anyone not associated with the Hall know that.”
“What is that book?”
“Old language. Actually Nick I need to speak with you. I do not want you to go to the ceremony of the promotions tomorrow at the school house. I want you to come to the Hall and visit me. I have much to tell you. I will give you your assignment myself, privately and you may ask all the questions you want. I must leave you with one final comment then you must return to your dwelling. You are of great importance to this community young Nick. Now, return.”
Nick turned and headed back to his dwelling. Never looking back at the elder. But instead thinking profusely about Great Importance.
New Discoveries

Day Three

6:00 AM


Nick awakened from his induced rest and put his uniform on. It was the promotion day and the day he would receive his new uniform. He had his old one since he was in grade five and it was becoming very tight on him. Although desperately concerned about the chief elders wishes, Nick was also very excited about the promotion, even though he still didn't know what he was to be promoted to. He thought about what the elder could give him as a promotion yet he was still sure it might not be good. The buzzer dinged and it was time for the entire community (except the guards in the towers) to come to the school house's auditorium which is where the ceremony took place. Nick knew what went on during the ceremony and it was always quite boring until it was his turn to go up and receive his promotion. It always started with grade one and the teacher would come up and give a short speech telling the community that everyone was excellent and deserved their promotion. Although it was in the rules that everyone MUST be promoted as everyone else, and therefore nobody could stay behind. If someone was to fall behind then that person might have a private teacher who was no fun at all and volunteering was chosen for you. The children always tried to not have to be privately taught, however, Nick thought it would have been interesting to be privately taught.
Before walking out of the dwelling he swallowed his medication then headed quickly towards the Hall. He passed by Naomi and she had asked him why he was headed away from the school house. He told her and she said that he must have had a high honor to be presented his placement in the community by the chief elder. She turned and kept going towards the school house and Nick continued towards the Hall. Nick arrived at the Hall and noticed upon entering that the windows were all shaded and the receptionist was no where in sight. There was a click behind him as the door shut and a voice filled the room over the intercom.
"Welcome, Nick. The door is locked and you may not leave seeing how you have chosen to come back here and receive the special gift I will be giving to you. Come back to my room young Nick." The voice was a familiar one. He trusted it thoroughly. Nick walked down the long corridor and entered the large doors as he had done the day before. Inside the elder sat looking out the large window. The elders back turned towards Nick. He felt separated from the elder because of the large desk that was placed between them.
"I am he—" Nick tried to say but before he could finish his statement the elder began.
"I know Nick. I am glad to see such courage and search for honor as you have shown. I have also noticed your curiosity through these large windows. You will learn great amounts and will do great things for this community. The book that is behind the glass, you shall be able to read it. The entire community shall look up to you. You will be our hero. You will preserve our existence here for generations to come. You will live for generations to come. Nick, you shall learn from outside communities. You will travel to far away lands and bring information back on illness and exotic foods that prolong life. You will be given the rank of Hunter to leave the community. Eventually you will become the Chief Elder, Nick."
Nick sat silently with his mouth hanging open. He thought he was dreaming. Such an honor as Hunter was never given strait from school. He couldn't believe his ears.
"Do you have any questions, young Hunter?" The elder asked.
"Well, why are you giving this to me? I am sure someone else is more worthy than I."
"Nick, you know that every person in the community is supposed to be equal. However, they are not. Many people do not have the will power to complete the tasks ahead." The elder explained.
"I have another. What is our community's name?" Nick asked.
"You know such questions are forbidden to ask. However, since you are a Hunter, you may ask whichever questions you wish and everyone in our community must answer. A package will be waiting for you in the morning and your training will begin. The package contains specific instructions for your training and also includes a copy of rules that you have to follow. No other rules apply to you in our community. Dismissed."
Nick turned and headed out, unsure of how to feel whether to be excited or frightened, yet he knew that it was going to be difficult.
He shut the door behind him that lead into the Hall and heard the metallic click of the door. He looked around at a strange sight: Nobody was outside. For the first time in his life he was alone in the community able to do whatever he wanted. The intercom on the wall beeped and the elders voice came out, “Nick, go forth and live. Your journey will be tough and vigorous yet you can handle it. I will watch you less and less as you progress your training. Soon everyone will rely on your leadership. Good luck young Nick. Now proceed to your dwelling and take two of the pills you swallow before your rest period each night.”
Nick knew only one was supposed to be taken and rest wasn’t permitted before the specified time. However it was the Chief Elders rules and he was sure to follow his new trainer’s advice and teachings.
During the rest period Nick found himself outside of his dwelling, in the middle of the park and the light seemed to be dimming. He had never experienced darkness before and didn’t know what to expect. He found himself walking towards the wall. The door was open and he walked inside and climbed the stairs to the top of the wall where the guards were. He reached the top however no guards were in sight. Nick couldn’t see anyone at all. He looked out over the community staring at what was before him. Black dust was climbing to the sky from each dwelling. Light burst from the top of the dwelling and he heard someone yell out of the dwelling. There was a heat from the light that had come from the dwelling but he knew not what this was called. He heard a strange sound from below and when he looked down he realized the Mist had entered his own community. The Mist had engulfed everything and seemed to cause the heat to grow stronger.
Nick turned and looked out behind him. He saw vast darkness for the Mist blocked out the light. He stared at what he had always wondered about except now he didn’t know what to do. He looked down and saw an Arviak carrying his Mother away from the community walls. He felt a sense of danger as he hurried down the stairs and out through the main gates that were dislodged and fallen to the ground. He ran towards the Arviak and his Mother. She said nothing, only laid limp in the talons of the giant creature. He realized he held a heavy metal object in his hand. Sword came to mind. Nick didn’t know what a sword was yet he knew the word. He thrust it at the Arviak from behind and felt a hot pain as the Arviak kicked Nick’s rib cage. Nick hit the wall and was unconscious.
Day Four
6:00 AM
Nick woke up right on time. He looked on the end of his cot and there was a plain package sealed with a electronic seal on it. There was a place that read PLACE THUMB HERE. He did so and the seal clicked and fell to the floor. He quickly opened his package looking through everything. He found a multi-patterned tunic that would fit him better than his old one. Only Hunters were allowed to wear multi-patterned tunics everyone else were to wear the blank ones. Yet this tunic was a multi-patterned one. He slipped it on and took a look at the rules in the box.







NEW RULES
1) You are now allowed to ask any question to anyone and they must answer.
2) You can lie
3) You have full access to every part of the community
4) You are allowed out during rest periods
5) You are not to take any medications
6) You can be rude
7) You can release anyone from the community
8) You are the Chief Elder in training






If you want to read the rest of the story please feel free to email me, I will send you the rest of it.
© Copyright 2006 Lightning (lightning87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083922-Mist