*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329589-Vanished
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1329589
Two young boys, left alone find something in the basement

Vanished


         Slam! Thomas almost fell backwards off the counter at the sound of his older brother’s bedroom door close. He grabbed the cabinets in front of him and pulled up hard to keep him steady. He looked quickly for something to snack on. He shifted the canned goods around but there were only pictures of spinach and green beans. Who likes that stuff? He thought as he climbed down the counter onto the chair below. He pushed the chair back to the kitchen table quickly because he was not supposed to climb on the counters–it was Momma’s big rule. You are not to climb on the counters for anything, Thomas. That is my big rule hun. Thomas remembered his mom always telling him.
         It was almost Thanksgiving and the kids were off school for the whole week. Since it was Monday (and their mother let them stay home alone), they were a bit more obnoxious than usual. Daniel, who was ten at the time, was in charge and Thomas–who was six–was supposed to listen to him.
         “Whatcha doin’?” Daniel asked.
         “No–Nothing, Danny. I was just pushin’ da chair up to da table,” Thomas replied.
         “Really?”
         “Yup!”
         “Why was it out in the first place?” Daniel asked putting his hands to his hips like their mother did when she knew something was up. Thomas was silent. “Well? I am waiting.”
         “Cause I ya–used it. I was si–si–sitting in it, honest.” Thomas replied.
         “Well stuttering Stanley, I guess im gonna need ta beat ya if ya won’t tell me the truth.” Daniel said moving slightly closer to Thomas to intimidate his little brother.
         “No! I am no–not stuttering st–st–Stanley. My name is Thomas. Momma said you’ll be spanked if you beat me anymore. You’re not allowed to.” He said sticking out his tongue at his older brother.
         “Oh yeah!” Daniel yelled racing toward his brother forcing him backwards, tripping into the living room. He crawled backwards as his brother approached with a gleam of thrill he got when he was about to squish a large insect. Thomas pleaded with Daniel to not hurt him.
         “Ok Tommy, gimme your hand and I’ll help ya up.”
         “Really, no tri–tricks? Honest a–Abe?” Thomas asked.
         “Honest Abe!” Daniel said. Thomas lifted his hand toward his older brother. Daniel grasped Thomas’ hand and thrust him on his back and twisted his arm hard enough that Thomas started to scream.
         “AHHH. You suh–said honest a–Abe. Oww.” Thomas Cried.
         “I had my fingers crossed!” Daniel replied with satisfaction of the trick he just pulled on his brother. “Say uncle. Say uncle!” He demanded.
         “Okay uh–uh–uncle.” Thomas said. Daniel released his grip slightly, just enough so Thomas would feel better, but had enough grasp that he would still have the advantage over his little brother.
         “Since you said ‘uncle,’ it means that-cha my slave.” Daniel said.
         “I a–am not!” Thomas exclaimed.
         Daniel twisted Thomas’ arm once more while he said, “Oh yes you are. You havta do anything I want or I’ll beatcha down.”
         “Oh–okay. I’ll be ya–your sl–slave,” Thomas said, yielding to the intimidation of his older brother, even though at six Thomas was quite a big boy. If Thomas wanted to he could have clobbered Daniel, but he was very intimidated. Daniel always played mind games with his younger brother. Like the time when he had gotten into the cookies while Thomas was sleeping, but put cookie crumbs around Thomas and on his hands and lips. When Thomas had waken up, Daniel told him that he ate the cookies in his sleep and that he was going to be in big trouble with momma.
         Daniel let Thomas up and told him to put his shoes on. Thomas protested for a second but then did as he was told. He hated being the slave. Daniel always made him dress up like a girl or do something that might get him cooties.
         “Ya know where mom put the big fire truck?” Daniel asked.
         “I think sh–sh–she puh–put it duh–downstairs.” Thomas replied. He was nervous at the content of this conversation. They were never supposed to go near the basement when no one was with them.
         “Okay. You’re gonna go down there and get it,” Daniel smiled, proud of this new task he can have Thomas do.
         Thomas protested, “Nuh–No! I am scared of the duh–dark.”
“Here, I’ll stand at the top of the steps and watch until ya can reach the light switch,” Daniel said pushing Thomas toward the door. He was still fighting against his older brother but finally gave up and started down the steps. The steps had open backs that looked down to storage space below. Both of the boys always were afraid of some monster reaching through those steps and grabbing their legs tearing them under to be eaten.
         The steps seemed to go down forever. The mildew odor– that was only present when the lights were off –clawed its way into Thomas’ nostrils. Thomas always imagined that it was the smell of the monster that lurked below. Thomas stepped onto the third step down. It creaked and he froze knowing that if there was a monster down there it surely knew he was on the steps. He imagined a large furry hand reaching through the steps and wrapping its clawed hands on his ankle. This thought made him back up a step.
         “Go on.” Daniel whispered. Thomas turned around and looked with tear filled eyes. He hoped that Daniel would call him back up. He turned back around and stepped down another step. It creaked again. He went down another. He turned around to ask his brother if he had to keep going when he noticed Daniel shutting the door.
         Thomas shrieked and ran up the stairs. Daniel shut and locked the door. Smirking at the prank he just pulled on his little brother. Thomas was still screaming while he pounded his fists on the door.
         “Not yet. Your punishment in the dungeon isn’t over,” Daniel said.
         “Please Daniel lemme ow–ow–out right– ” Thomas’ words stopped, but the pounding continued.
         “Not yet,” Daniel replied. The pounding came softer and slower until after a minute they had stopped altogether. Daniel just looked at the door wondering why he stopped. He slowly stepped towards the door when one final hit slammed against the door. The sudden hit, jolted the hinges and made Daniel jump back. Daniel knew that was too strong for Thomas. It had enough force to shake the floor. Daniel just stared at the door as fear filled his heart, wondering what happened.
After about ten minutes of silence and his mind racing with thoughts, Daniel slowly turned the doorknob and peered inside. He saw only darkness. So he threw the door open wide. There was nothing there. The lights were still off. He could see scuff marks on the stairs like those on the gym floors from people’s shoes.
“Thomas,” Daniel yelled, “where are you?” He stood looking down in the dark seeing something white at the bottom of the stairs. “Thomas!” He yelled even louder.
He realized that Thomas’ shoe was at the bottom. He must be down there. Daniel shut and locked the door again. He can stay down there if he is going to play a trick like that. The front door opened and his mother came inside. Daniel ran up and told her what happened. She ignored him at first as she walked past the basement door and set her groceries on the table.
         “You know that you kids aren’t supposed to be playing in the basement,” she said furious. She walked over the basement door and opened it wide. “THOMAS!” She yelled angrily as she started down the steps. When she got down to the bottom she picked up Thomas’ shoe and flipped on the lights. She walked around the basement looking for Thomas. In the far rear corner of the utility closet where the water softener was located she found a shirt shredded, it was the shirt she had dressed her youngest son in that morning. She ran for the steps skipping every other as she climbed. She put her hands on Daniel’s shoulders. With eyes filled with tears she asks, “Where is your brother? Where did he go? Tell me now!”
         “I dunno mom. I locked him down stairs and when I opened it he was gone.” Daniel said.
         “I am calling the police.” She said.
         They arrived in about ten minutes and searched the house. They found no traces of him other than the torn shirt and the single shoe. “It is likely that he ran away ma’am,” a police officer said. “We will write a report, and put up lost child posters and see what happens. It is most likely that he just ran away.”
         “I don’t believe that,” she said as the police exited the house. “God help us.”



Boy Missing, Only Clothing Was Recovered
Wednesday November25th, 2009
FRANK STEWART
ANNAPOLIS MD; On Monday, Thomas Torrence was reported missing at about five in the afternoon. The police report stated that the two children were left alone by their single mother, Anne Torrence. Daniel, her older son, claimed that he locked Thomas in the basement and then he vanished. Police are questioning this story and investigating the situation carefully. They have taken the mother for further questioning yesterday and placed Daniel in foster care for the time being. Ms. Torrence is the only suspect in the case at the moment.
“It is likely that the boy just ran away. He may still come home. There is always that possibility,” police chief Williams stated yesterday at the Torrence home as they took Ms. Torrence into custody. At the house police found only a single shoe and a torn shirt, however there is no blood present. Forensic teams are at the house today searching for evidence creating any leads in this case. If no evidence is found then Ms. Torrence will be released within forty-eight hours.


© Copyright 2007 Lightning (lightning87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329589-Vanished