*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086717-Strange-Things
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Comedy · #1086717
Life was good for Wesley Marks. At least it was until everything started going wrong.
    It is a widely held belief that strange things happen. That is to say, that when an apple falls out of an apple tree and falls on your head, though it may be surprising or unexpected, it is in no way strange, but if that same apple were to fall from an orange tree, as happened on this particular day to one Wesley Marks of Nowthen, Minnesota, it would be truly strange.
 
    There are two simple reasons this would be strange. The first one would be that apples don’t generally fall from orange trees. The second one would be that orange trees don’t generally grow in Minnesota -- especially in winter, as it was on this particular day.

    Wesley was beginning to wonder if he was dreaming, for this was certainly something he would dream about. In order to test this theory, he climbed the previously mentioned out-of-place orange tree, and tried to fly, for this is something he also frequently did in his dreams. Flapping his arms furiously, he leapt from the branch, flew through the air for exactly 2.73 seconds before colliding heavily with the ground, which being frozen, was hard as concrete. This would have told a less intelligent person that he was certainly not dreaming. But Wesley was not less intelligent.

    Intelligence, often being in inverse proportion to common sense, though not always, and Wesley, being possessed of a great intellect, both lost out when Wesley suddenly found himself trying to swim through the dirt. His arms were tiring from trying to smoothly glide through solid matter. So he lifted himself up off the ground, dusted himself off, and began to ponder the situation seriously.

    So, he wasn't dreaming, and the current goings on were definately happening. He had to make sense of this - or at least as much sense as he could make of it, though that might be impossible. Nothing really makes sense if it's unfamiliar.

    Wesley started heading back to town.  Well, at least it was where town was.  Now he wasn't quite sure where the path before him would lead.

    As he rounded the bend, he saw his town. He looked about him. It all seemed normal, but that term in and of itself was confusing. It would be more accurate to say that he found everything the way it was before the strange things started happening. His own home only a short distance down the road, fifth on the left. The street was in the same state of disrepair. There was the myriad of late model cars lining the streets.

    He started thinking that maybe he had just had a really vivid daydream as he took off his winter coat thinking it odd that he had put it on this morning when the day was so pleasant today. That's when it hit him. Prior to his stepping out of the wood, it had been Winter, when clearly now, it was in the midst of Spring. Somehow, time was running amok.

    Wesley wondered who had given time permission to do this, and why was it happening to him. It seemed a really inconvenient thing to do and thought it might be confusing to people, especially to small children.
© Copyright 2006 Kurelgyre (metroiceberg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086717-Strange-Things