*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1087354-Lhinds-Goodbye
by Threil
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1087354
A young man who finds himself missplaced in life, looking to leave the past behind.
Winter had come sooner than expected in Delewon. Morning was well under way and folk were busy rushing about to ready themselves for the coming cold season, their feet kicking up the snow that had blanketed the small town just the night before. The creaking wheels of carts filled with an assortment of firewood, meat and cheese could be heard from the early morning, delivering their goods to the places that needed them most. Shops and stores were hauling their barrels, crates and other supplies to a safer place, away from the harsh elements that winter brought with it. Near the edge of town, Bormor's construction crew was hard at work putting the finishing touch on the latest house in the ever expanding Alil family. The youngest son Jerel was wed just a tenday past, and the couple, soon expecting a child, needed a place to call their own for the winter. It was indeed a busy day for everyone, but Lhind (arguably one of Delewon's most detached and quiet residents) was readying himself for something different altogether, and the events that unfolded all around him on that day had no impact on his plans.

Lhind made his way through the town in haste. At the rate the day was progressing the local vendors would be out of stock before the sun even reached its peak. He kept his eyes to the ground the entire way to his destination, partly as even the most gentle of person intimidated him, and partly as to avoid any potential conversations with the more chatty local folk (such as lady Babsaba). Were the residents of Delewon not bustling in anticipation of the coming season, perhaps Heloun (the local vendor at the town's market) would’ve noticed Lhind wasn't purchasing your everyday products, and perhaps he would've inquired as to why he needed a compass, rope, lantern, preserved foods and some tinder. Alas, Heloun was too busy to take interest in what his customers were buying that day, and Lhind went on happy having acquired the last of his necessities without explanation.

As noon approached, the streets of Delewon seemed to settle down. The morning rush was over and folk were preparing for the coming winter in the comforts of their homes, presumably stuffing their pantries and cellars with all sorts of delights. Lhind, having once again successfully avoided any conversation, found himself standing at the gates of his own home, staring at its dull exterior and reminiscing on the lacklustre memories held within. His family was undoubtedly as busy with winter preparations as the rest of the town, so Lhind snuck in through the back and made his way to his quarters unnoticed, where he would remain until sundown, contemplating the reasons behind his recent and future actions.

It was necessary, and there was no turning back. That sentiment kept passing through Lhind’s mind as he walked around his quarters in circles. He soon heard his father’s familiar voice call out his name. It was time for the family evening meal, which would be Lhind’s last. Lhind came down the stairs packing his belongings in a single yet thoroughly stuffed backpack. His expression was dire, but with a hint of anticipation that projected a presence into the room that had his whole family take notice. The meal was served, his plate was ready, but Lhind did not sit down. He was questioned, but had no satisfactory answers to give. It was necessary, and there was no turning back. He walked to the door with his family close behind, turned around to look at them one last time, bid his farewell, and stepped out the door.

Lhind looked upon his home in Delewon with a rush of feelings he could barely describe. All his reasons, all the answers that he could not give his family crept up and reminded him what it was he was looking for, and what it was he was running from. His home, this town where so many people such as Jerel found happiness, was the place where he couldn’t find a meaning for himself. For Lhind, Delewon was a place that made him someone he thinks he ought not to be. He would sometimes look upon the people of the town and wonder how they could go about with such a smile, wonder why he couldn’t do the same. He would read books and hear stories about grand adventures, about heroes who would travel the world, learn about mystical cultures and fulfil lifelong dreams, and wonder why his life was condemned to what it was. One day, Lhind realized this place was not for him, and to have a smile upon his face he would have to forge his own path in this world.

The sun had long set on the quaint town of Delewon. The night was chilly and the town was quiet. Sometimes a horse would stir in a nearby stable, or the howl of a nearby wolf would pierce through the air, but Delewon had never been as calm to Lhind. After a long day’s work, the townsfolk were settling in their beds, ready to awaken on the next day to continue with their winter preparations. Lhind wondered if his departure would have any effect on the town, but he could not think of any reasons that it would. He strode through the deserted streets nervous yet excited about where he would find himself in the following days. After some time with his thoughts, up ahead on the road, Lhind saw none other than Babsaba heading in his direction. To his own surprise, Lhind no longer felt intimidated, but rather confident in himself and his new path, and found he was no longer bashfully staring at the ground.

“Where are you off to this late, my dear? Everyone’s in bed, where you should be.” Babsaba insisted.

“I have been sitting still and quiet too long Babs. There’s a whole world out there, and I need to see it.” Lhind promptly replied.

Babsaba was taken aback by Lhind’s answer. “Well, this sure is a surprise. I would assume that carriage at old Genson’s is waiting for you then?” Lhind nodded in reply. “Be it a surprise, it’s a welcome one, dearest,” She continued. “I’ve always known you wouldn’t sit still for long, you were the most adventurous child I have ever met when you moved here, and I’m happy you’re living up to it.” Babsaba paused for a moment. “You’ll be missed Lhind, you had better come visit us to tell us of your exploits.”

Lhind himself was taken a little aback by Babsaba’s comments, but promised her that one day he would come back to visit and tell her all about his travels around the world. He bid her farewell, marched down the road to Genson’s, and stepped into the awaiting carriage.
© Copyright 2006 Threil (threil at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1087354-Lhinds-Goodbye