*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1089919-Finding-Treasure
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1089919
flash fiction 300 words "something buried in the sand" *Winner
Finding Treasure



“Ohhhh, Mom why can’t she just go over there by herself?" Tommy grumbled. “I’m too old for sandboxes!”

“Because I asked you to!” His mother snapped. “There isn’t anyone else for her to play with. Now, do what you’re told young man! Watch her play for a little while and when I have it all ready we’ll have a nice lunch.”

A quick look at his mother and Tommy knew it was no use arguing. “C’mon, Trish.” Tommy sighed. “Let’s go!”

“I’ll race youuu Tommy, look how fast I can run!” Giggled the 5 year old, dashing off.

Forgetting for a moment that he was almost twelve and ticked off, Tommy took off after her. In spite of trying to pull up, he miscalculated and bowled her over.

“Owwwwww Tommy,” Tricia sat up, brushing the sand out of her nose. “You made me fall down, I’m going to tell Mama!”

“Oh don’t be such a baby Trish!” Tommy laughed. “Let’s make some roads and play with my matchbox cars.”

“I don’t wanna!” Tricia said in that way that always infuriates older brothers, “I’m gonna dig a hole!”

Sitting down on the edge of the sandbox, running his favorite car over the logs encircling the sand, Tommy was only dimly aware of his sister’s presence and at first didn’t hear her calling his name.

“Tommmmy!” Tricia hollered again. “Look what I found!”

Looking up from his daydream, Tommy noticed Tricia standing in front of him holding a diamond ring.

“Where did you get that?” Tommy asked, snatching the shiny ring from his sister’s hand.

“Over there.” Tricia pointed. “On that lady’s finger.”

Following where she was pointing, Tommy saw five red nailed fingers sticking up out of the sand.

By the time the police came and asked all their questions it was way past lunchtime.
© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1089919-Finding-Treasure