*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1093796-Summertime
Rated: E · Prose · Family · #1093796
Summer, essay, poetry, writing, observation
© 2000 Aurora Collins

The tall grass carpeting the field ripples in the breeze like waves on the ocean. The swiftness of the wind relieves the heat of summer, a hint of rain in its fragrance.

Once in a while small heads bob up then down again, swimming and racing in the deep green sea, trying their best to reel in the catch of the day. Their trophies will proudly be shown to mom in the various jars given them for their fishing trip. Grasshopper, crickets, and cicadas vie for breathing room near the hole picked lids, as they are stuffed one by one into the jars by deft little hands, quick as lightening, grabbing them before they have a chance to bolt away.

Laughter, carried on the wings of the wind, mingles with the cadence of the summer sounds. Birds flying, await their turn for the afternoon meal, plunging and arching impatiently, frustrated by the strange beings snagging their food.

The sounds of life. The sounds of summer. The innocence of youth. Delightful. Treasured. Awakening the long lost innocence of my own youth. Suddenly, my laborious adult existence fades away, as I make my way to join in the revelry of youth once again. Dirty dishes are forgotten, laundry is left to itself. My heart expands and beholds life anew.

© Copyright 2006 Erin Collins (joyfulwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1093796-Summertime