*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1095074-Responsibility
by Shylah
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1095074
Under 200 words. Recount of a child's vaccination day.
The responsibility had fallen to me and we’d not told my niece. That morning it was to be her third and final vaccination jab before starting school.

Once there, waiting was fine; I entertained her with an unscheduled reading lesson from the posters on the walls and the children’s books available to pass the time and delay last minute quizzing.

As soon as the nurse opened the door and called her name, she knew. Sinking to the ground with a wail, she began flaying her arms and legs even as I bent down to pick her up. Carrying her, legs extended, we passed the nurse who stepped aside to avoid a kick.

Inside the room, it wasn’t any better. She struggled and fought as I got the sweater off and held her firmly, upper arm presented.

She was making so much noise, she didn’t notice when it was done. Her first reaction at being released was one of smugness that she thought she’d won and a smile lit her face for the first time in almost 10 minutes.

178 words
© Copyright 2006 Shylah (shylah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1095074-Responsibility