*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/109842-The-Night-I-drowned-My-Rubber-Ducky
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Children's · #109842
Do you remember the first day of Kindergarten?

It was the first day of school and for little Jimmy it was a day that he had been waiting for his whole life. That morning his mommy woke him up at 6am to give him time to get a bath, eat his breakfast, and put on that new suit. He looked spiffy in his new suit. It was blue and had little narrow silver pinstripes. His hair was combed and his mom used some hair spray so his hair wouldn't stick up. His mother packed him a lunch and placed it in his backpack along with his crayons, glue and scissors.

"Jimmy this is your first day of school," said mom, "you're going to have so much fun!"

Jimmy wasn't convinced at all, he was scared about leaving his mom, his house, and all his toys.

"You should leave all your toys at home so you don't lose them, and besides you're going too, be to busy to play with them."

Jimmy agrees but not wholeheartedly, he knows that he is going to be lonely at school without his best friend...Bart. He ran up the stairs and into the bathroom and quickly grabbed Bart and stuffed him into his book bag. He walked back down the stairs and finished up his bowl of Fruit Loops and walked out to the car where his mom waited. They drove off for the school and they said their good-byes at Jimmy's new classroom. He met his new teacher and some of his classmates. He tried real hard to be the big kid and not to be scared. He looked for a friendly face one he knew that he could trust and he has not found it.

He went to his seat after story time and reached for his backpack. It was quiet time and he wanted to share it with his best friend. He opened his backpack, Bart jumped out and made a horrendous squeaking noise. Everyone in the classroom looked up. Everyone in the room saw the rubber duck in the middle of the floor, and everyone
began to laugh as Jimmy hurriedly tried to pick the duck back up.

Jimmy was so embarrassed that he hid his head for the rest of the day on his desk. The school bell rang and he ran as fast as he could to his mother's car and hid in the front seat until they get home. He threw his backpack in his room without opening it and went back downstairs.

After dinner it is time for little Jimmy to take his bath and he opened up the backpack and grabbed Bart the rubber ducky and headed for the tub. Mom had put a generous amount of bubble bath into the tub. Jimmy undressed and jumped in and suds go everywhere. He still held onto Bart. He looked down at Bart with an evil little grin and held him under the sudsy water.

"So Bart!" said Jimmy, "Why did you make them laugh at me? WHY?"

Of course Bart didn't answer Jimmy's question. Bart didn't even move. Finally Jimmy pulled him out of the water and still Bart didn't say or do anything. Jimmy squeezed him a little tighter and Bart let out another little squeak. Then Jimmy put Bart back under the water for what seemed like a longer time. This time Jimmy didn't ask any questions, he just held him under water. And when Jimmy brought him up from under the water no amount of squeezing was going to make that rubber ducky talk again. He squeaked his last squeak.
THE END

© Copyright 2000 The Milkman (themilkman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/109842-The-Night-I-drowned-My-Rubber-Ducky